1/3 elevation vs. habitat transition

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

1/3 elevation vs. habitat transition

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:28 am

So I'm looking at heading to a piece of property this Saturday that is all hills and timber. There are no fields period. I'm planning on setting up for the morning in what would appear to be a thermal hub on the map where numerous ridges dump into one area. If nothing pans out in the AM, I'm planning on scouting during midday and setting up for the evening on hopefully very fresh sign.

There is mixed timber in the hills with the most transitions being cedars to hardwoods. Would you guys be more focused on the transition lines or the 1/3 elevation line? The hills are anywhere from 300 to 400 ft.

wjung

Re: 1/3 elevation vs. habitat transition

Unread postby wjung » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:15 am

I'm a total novice when it comes to hill country, but having spent the last 2 weeks hunting there my observation is this: The bucks I saw were cruising the upper third on the leeward side of the hill, where they could have the wind at their back and peer over the edge of the hill to spots does/danger. I have a south facing ridge, and when the wind was northerly I saw deer, southerly my sightings decreased significantly.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 am

I would try to find a transition on the upper 1/3 elevation or other terrain features that funnel traffic this time of the season
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:27 am

Transition lines.

The 1/3 is just a general rule for 'canned' hutting or attacking a new piece. Crests, terrain, wind, pressure and vegetation change the zone. The deer sign tells the story
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:39 am

This time of year really anything goes. Terrain and sign is important, but I would focus more on known doe bedding areas. Usually you'll see faint trails skirting the downwind edges and I would set up there. as far as sign- I dont worry too much about rubs and scrapes as I do fresh tracks or buck droppings skirting those areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”