Hunting a super thick property and nocturnal movement?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JonNc

Hunting a super thick property and nocturnal movement?

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:55 am

I got permission on a 160 acre piece this year. This property is super thick. One particular piece in the middle of the property is a 70 acre thicket. Around that is a narrow logging trail then mostly thick again, a little more open woods south of thicket. There is a nice creek running through the property and that has some more mature timber and it’s also thick in most places. To east of creek is mature pines with under growth in most spots. I know we have to go in and clear some good shooting lanes.

My two questions are what do you guys focus on when hunting such thick properties where they can bed just about anywhere. We have been using creek crossings and where habitat types converge. FYI, this is mostly flat terrain with only slight elevation.

Also, I can’t figure out why we have so many night time pics of bucks when we aren’t hunting fields and we haven’t over pressured the deer. The landowner does target practice occasionally just for fun, but that hasn’t seemed to bother them. Any thoughts on this?

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Hunting a super thick property and nocturnal movement?

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:18 am

I have a property just like this, deer sign EVERYWHERE. It’s so thick you can hardly walk through it. GIANT bucks on camera at 2am. It’s not over hunted.

Been trying to figure it out for about 5 years now. We have a ton of security cover, and not much food. No chance you could shoot without trimming.

I know they are in there somewhere. And in daylight. I just don’t know where.

I’m gonna scout it hard this year to try and collect the missing puzzle pieces. Lots of walking through nasty cover
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:23 am

Sometimes it's not where you should hunt, but where can you hunt? In a lot of cutovers its like this. You need a saw just to get into the woods. If there is deer, they will travel through the easiest way possible. Id fine a place that you can access along that path
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 am

Sometimes it comes down to the fact it's just too thick and the bucks dont bed and are live there but mainly travel through it too get at the doe groups that live on it.
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:45 am

A5BLASTER wrote:Sometimes it comes down to the fact it's just too thick and the bucks dont bed and are live there but mainly travel through it too get at the doe groups that live on it.

We actually have had many bucks on camera, and earlier in the year we had more moving in daylight. Daylight movement has become less. The only buck that was showing up consistently we harvested in October. We have seen a couple others but couldn’t get a shot due to thickness. It’s just that 90% of the big ones right now are at night and often not even near daylight.
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:03 am

A5BLASTER wrote:Sometimes it comes down to the fact it's just too thick and the bucks dont bed and are live there but mainly travel through it too get at the doe groups that live on it.

Although it’s thick I do think it offers great bedding. There is one section that offers long shots but the reason I hadn’t hunted it yet is because we also only had mature bucks at night there also. I have considered just finding ways to cut lanes into the thickets in the off-season.

The pines on the opposite side of creek definitely are not so thick deer won’t bed and walk through it. Just have to find ways to narrow down movement and open up some shots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”