Best laid plans... then Covid

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Best laid plans... then Covid

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:26 am

I had a THP-style Rutcation planned. Was very excited about it. It involved relatively significant travel and overnight stays. I was going to scout, scout, hunt on all-day basis for like 6 consecutive days in an area that I know has big bucks and terrific terrain diversity.

Now the ex has Covid. Very sick, can’t work.

So as any sane parent would do, I’m taking the kids during my off week that Rutcation was supposed to happen. They’re teenagers, so more independent, but that trip is off the table now. Early morning hunts may be toast too.

I’m going to have to do day trips that I really wasn’t prepared to do. I can hit stuff that’s probably pressured to ridiculous amounts right now, areas where my confidence is not high.

Yeah, I’m crying in my beer. :lol:

I think she’ll be ok. But yes, Covid has jacked up my hunting plans.

Oh well, time to get in the woods anyway and see what happens.

——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
muddy

Re: Best laid plans... then Covid

Unread postby muddy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:37 am

You're not the only one whose plans Covid is messing with. Luckily my kids are smarter than I am. If thev online stuff isn't working they know how to reset the computers and routers, as well as email the teacher with my gmail account from the spare phone. All I gotta do is keep it closer to home than I usually do.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:51 am

muddy wrote:You're not the only one whose plans Covid is messing with. Luckily my kids are smarter than I am. If thev online stuff isn't working they know how to reset the computers and routers, as well as email the teacher with my gmail account from the spare phone. All I gotta do is keep it closer to home than I usually do.

My daughter will be doing online work due to the Covid outbreak in the area, so there’s at least that. It’ll take more time and meal prep for when I’m not around as a single parent.

Hopefully a buck gets stupid enough to walk in front of me at some point. :lol:
——-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:07 am

Keep after it man. I had some big plans, especially after I shot my buck. Then I got covid and it all went down the drain. Haven't sniffed the woods since, especially when I have to get caught up on work, get stuff done for some big job bids, and get ahead so I can take off for gun hunting. All part of the adventure I guess. Definitely sucks but gotta find the positive in it somewhere.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 am

Sorry to hear she is sick. And sorry that messed up your plans.

Crock pot meals. Instant pot is great too but there is a learning curve if you don't already use one. Big batches so there is leftovers for next day. Once a week pizza delivery.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:45 am

Jonny wrote:Keep after it man. I had some big plans, especially after I shot my buck. Then I got covid and it all went down the drain. Haven't sniffed the woods since, especially when I have to get caught up on work, get stuff done for some big job bids, and get ahead so I can take off for gun hunting. All part of the adventure I guess. Definitely sucks but gotta find the positive in it somewhere.

Thanks Jonny. Appreciate it.

There are some pockets of ground I want to check that’s closer, so I will shift that scout, scout hunt there. I’m hoping it’s getting less pressure, but it’s just hope. It’s tough to find overlooked in WI. But, you never know until you’re in the woods.
——-
kdawg_901

Unread postby kdawg_901 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:50 am

I feel ya on this. I was all set to take off on my trip after work today, then we get the call from daycare that its shut down all next week. F U Covid!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:54 am

greenhorndave wrote:

Sorry to hear dude - God Speed for the Misses. :pray:
Make luck happen in your deer woods... 8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:59 am

Huntress13 wrote:Sorry to hear she is sick. And sorry that messed up your plans.

Crock pot meals. Instant pot is great too but there is a learning curve if you don't already use one. Big batches so there is leftovers for next day. Once a week pizza delivery.

Good suggestions. I have a as-of-yet-unused instant pot that I’ll need to figure out in a hurry. :lol:

Appreciate your feedback H13! :clap:

And thanks to everyone as a support group. It helps a lot.

And yeah kdawg, Covid can go take a long walk off a short pier. Thanks China! :lol:
——-
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:59 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Sorry to hear dude - God Speed for the Misses. :pray:
Make luck happen in your deer woods... 8-)

Ex Missus. But the sentiment still holds and is much appreciated. :lol:
——-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:10 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Jonny wrote:Keep after it man. I had some big plans, especially after I shot my buck. Then I got covid and it all went down the drain. Haven't sniffed the woods since, especially when I have to get caught up on work, get stuff done for some big job bids, and get ahead so I can take off for gun hunting. All part of the adventure I guess. Definitely sucks but gotta find the positive in it somewhere.

Thanks Jonny. Appreciate it.

There are some pockets of ground I want to check that’s closer, so I will shift that scout, scout hunt there. I’m hoping it’s getting less pressure, but it’s just hope. It’s tough to find overlooked in WI. But, you never know until you’re in the woods.

Gotta be different than everybody else to have different results than everybody else
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:12 am

That’s a bummer!! I think this damn virus has messed up everybody’s plans especially ones with kids in school and daycare, but stay positive maybe the higher plan is for you to snag a local buck.
Haste makes waste
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:04 am

My wife tested positive 3 days before my vacation was to start and being a nurse I get tested every week. I had just drove home that same day and got tested and went back upnorth. So when I found out my wife had it my work ultimately told me to stay upnorth and quarantine and enjoy my hunt and stay away from my wife . So I got 3 extra days vacation and I ended up being negative .
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 am

In a similar boat. No Covid though. Just a ton of neck pain the last 2 days. Could actually put up with it. Walking to, sitting on, walking back from a ground sit. It's the driving needed to get anywhere. Hard to stay focused on the road while driving. Almost went in the ditch once. Yesterday on my way home from the chiro!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:16 am

tim wrote:My wife tested positive 3 days before my vacation was to start and being a nurse I get tested every week. I had just drove home that same day and got tested and went back upnorth. So when I found out my wife had it my work ultimately told me to stay upnorth and quarantine and enjoy my hunt and stay away from my wife . So I got 3 extra days vacation and I ended up being negative .

You have to get tested every week for work? My fiancée is a nurse in Milwaukee and never had to get tested. Matter of fact they just announced that if you test positive but have no symptoms, you still can work.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”