Why does DOE Estrus scent not work better?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Prairie Sasquatch

Re: Why does DOE Estrus scent not work better?

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:17 am

Because it’s designed to catch hunters not deer

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:09 am

If u want something that works. Go buy a doe at the sale barn. Load her in a horse trailer, back it in a corner of your of your hunting property about October 20th. Then go buy a shot of that stuff deer farmers use to induce the estrus cycle. Grab your bow, sit on top of the trailer and watch the magic happen!

Not very ethical to me but I would bet my best cold weather boots u would be surrounded like Custer.
Eat the donut not the hole!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:03 pm

My brain was going through a bit of thinking while on delivery today. Very related to this question.

During the night thermals are not active and scents stay low and drift downhill when calm and no wind. Whatever the deer are laying down like estrus will be down at ground level for quite some time. And so bucks get after the does pretty well.
This carries over to early morning allowing bucks to continue to be in contact with location, direction and what not.
Once those thermals start, it removes most scent other than ground scent and scrapes, rubs and the actual deer. Daylight wipes the slate clean in essence.

By evening, a buck is at a disadvantage from a scent point of view and only knows a small part of his immediate area. And the process would then repeat itself.

Morning is when their nose is in high gear and evening it would be their eyes until the freedom of darkness.

Last night I had a doe spook and blow from 30 yards due to my noise. I watched her in the thick brush circle until her nose could confirm or deny danger. They really live and die by their nose in ways that we know little about.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:27 am

The only stuff I’ll use is Conquest Evercalm and VS1. Both seem be be effective.
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:36 pm

Because if it did there would be no deer left.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Because the buck can tell the doe Pee was not put there by a doe.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Drone strike with frozen estrus doe ice cubes could put it in the right place then position yourself where the bucks will be pulled by the scent.
Not serious but could see it becoming a thing
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:03 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Drone strike with frozen estrus doe ice cubes could put it in the right place then position yourself where the bucks will be pulled by the scent.

:lol:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:20 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Drone strike with frozen estrus doe ice cubes could put it in the right place then position yourself where the bucks will be pulled by the scent.

Plus you can use it to keep your sammich cold on the way the way to your stand for those early season afternoon hunts. ;)

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:45 am

camelcluch wrote:The only stuff I’ll use is Conquest Evercalm and VS1. Both seem be be effective.

Effective at what?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:23 am

Either bringing deer in or having a calming effect. The bucks were very interested in the VS1 and would walk right up to it. Sometimes they would lick it but they never paid much attention to anything thing else in the area including where I walked .
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am

My thoughts is once it poured out or bottle is empty. You gained nothing, an its time to buy more. I bought in to it once.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:34 am

You guys are cracking me up with all these jokes I agree w Horizontal Hunter that it can repel Does, especially that wise lead Doe.

Plain and simple, it can be a great tool but its situational just like everything else. It reminds me of the discussion about blind calling. One instance you can tip the estrus can over, a shooter buck comes barreling thru the woods or grunt at the wrong buck, he could go the other way.

Location, timing, scent type, scent brand, quantity, deer population, wind can all be factors to succeeding. Also, set a realistic goal with it... it seems most people just think its supposed to draw deer in from anywhere. Use it strategically, every deer can react differently.

Iv had some stud bucks follow my drag line as if they read the script, iv also had a dink buck lock up and go the other way. Other times, iv seen a buck trailing does, the Does react negative and then he follows them. If there is already some hot Does in the area, iv seen young 2 year old bucks walk right by it. Iv felt like a fool at times, thinking how its bs, then all of sudden I look up to see a giant 12pt coming right at me!

Something most people probably wouldnt say is that they work great early season! Also great in pre-rut. You dont have to use estrus scent so worrying about a deer reacting negatively is cut down by a lot. Someone mentioned curious late season bucks, I will have to try that this year bc I hate late season and im looking for an edge.

We all have different exp, mine is that iv had tremendous luck using scents in unknown situations. Iv said this a few times in the past but I swear by it. If I force a scent into a spot or property I already know everything about then I have poor luck with it. When I use a scent in a blind hunt scenario it just seems to work out great. I like focusing on terrain features and how to lay the quickest, quietest, longest drag trail to catch crossing bucks.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:41 am

Also, private vs public can be a huge difference in experiences. A mature, high pressured, public land buck is just a different animal.

One trick iv been wanting to try is using buck scent to lure in a nocturnal buck or ghostly buck. Its been talked about a lot more the past few years and it makes sense from a strategy perspective. Its a different game than just getting some Doe urine for the rut.
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:51 am

The guys above nailed it in my opinion.

You put that stuff out with the intent of luring something, it’s drifting downwind just like your scent is. The deer you’re after, if you’re set up right, won’t smell it. The deer that smell it are also smelling you. If your stamping through the woods to put it out a distance away from you, you’re doing more harm than good. You might get some young bucks to come in on it, but the chance of a mature one coming with your scent mixed in aren’t good.

I used to use scents all the time when younger. One of my favorite methods was dragging it behind me hoping to throw someone off my scent if it crossed my boot path in. The only thing I use scent for now is mock scrapes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”