Ohio creek buck down

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
PaPublicLandHunter

Re: Ohio creek buck down

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:46 am

bigredneck61088 wrote:
PaPublicLandHunter wrote:Great buck! Congratulations :clap:

Good luck here in Pa!

Thanks man, those 2F mountain deer are tough, we have a family camp up there but I just got serious about that area a few years ago, nomadic ghost deer haha

I am a little southeast of you but still big hills/mountains. And yes it can be very tough getting on more mature deer but they for sure are there. My buddy has a camp near marienville and I’m normally there for bear rifle season and have helped him scout for deer there. He actually shot a buck yesterday but unfortunately didn’t recover it.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:26 am

That's a big buck.

Congrats! :clap: :clap:
Matt Gill

Unread postby Matt Gill » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:09 am

Congrats, nice buck!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:54 am

Congrats!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Congrats! Great buck!
BJ99Robinson

Unread postby BJ99Robinson » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Congrats!!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:13 am

Sounds like a killer set up man, great deer. Congrats :clap:
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:27 am

bigredneck61088 wrote:I'll start off saying I have been hunting this spot for a few years now and it is a small private piece with not much woods. Access is tough without blowing deer unless you have the right conditions but its a bedding area/funnel all in one. Basically an 80 yard wide stretch of creek bottom between two fields with a creek on my access side. Based on encounters last year I had a pre set stand in there where I could walk the creek in and slip right up into the edge of the bedding area to the south.

Earlier in season they bed all over on this piece and sometimes in my lap, I had encounters with two other shooters the two times I have sat it this season but they stood up out of range and went the opposite direction. Third time was the charm apparently and went in on a straight W 15 mph wind hoping to catch a cruiser in the funnel and/or scent checking the bottom/opposite field and come right to me. I got in and saw a small buck around 2pm, it was slow most of the next two hours until a spike came right down the pipe where I wanted them... Later a doe popped out from bedding and had 3 other small bucks on her (assuming she was the first in heat there), then this buck came out of the creek and gave me a 30 yard shot. I hit him in the spine and he went down immediately.... Shortest drag ever since I could drive my truck to the creek

Headed to PA for my rut cation to be humbled by mountain deer.. :lol:

So i have been experimenting with some creek bottoms and have sat a few this year. By chance is this spot good when the wind is blowing the same direction as the creek? Most of the sits I have found successful in these spots the wind blows the same direction as the creek or close to it and i will sit on the downwind side. This seems to work like a charm at creek crossings and funnels that have high banks.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Awesome buck. Congrats. 8-)
Matt Gill

Unread postby Matt Gill » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:59 am

Congrats!
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 am

may21581 wrote:
bigredneck61088 wrote:I'll start off saying I have been hunting this spot for a few years now and it is a small private piece with not much woods. Access is tough without blowing deer unless you have the right conditions but its a bedding area/funnel all in one. Basically an 80 yard wide stretch of creek bottom between two fields with a creek on my access side. Based on encounters last year I had a pre set stand in there where I could walk the creek in and slip right up into the edge of the bedding area to the south.

Earlier in season they bed all over on this piece and sometimes in my lap, I had encounters with two other shooters the two times I have sat it this season but they stood up out of range and went the opposite direction. Third time was the charm apparently and went in on a straight W 15 mph wind hoping to catch a cruiser in the funnel and/or scent checking the bottom/opposite field and come right to me. I got in and saw a small buck around 2pm, it was slow most of the next two hours until a spike came right down the pipe where I wanted them... Later a doe popped out from bedding and had 3 other small bucks on her (assuming she was the first in heat there), then this buck came out of the creek and gave me a 30 yard shot. I hit him in the spine and he went down immediately.... Shortest drag ever since I could drive my truck to the creek

Headed to PA for my rut cation to be humbled by mountain deer.. :lol:

So i have been experimenting with some creek bottoms and have sat a few this year. By chance is this spot good when the wind is blowing the same direction as the creek? Most of the sits I have found successful in these spots the wind blows the same direction as the creek or close to it and i will sit on the downwind side. This seems to work like a charm at creek crossings and funnels that have high banks.

Wind was in my face, this spot is a small creek bottom
But between two fields with bedding on one end, so more of a cruising spot close to beds I can’t hunt it with wind running the way the creek does
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:18 am

congrats bigredneck. That's a goodun.
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 am

Congrats!
Cool Rack with the towering 2’s!