Hunt the wind or ignore the wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Crazinamatese

Re: Hunt the wind or ignore the wind?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:47 am

I been doing the best I can with this crap south wind. My setups have been good setups except pressure has the deer either spooked out or not moving During daylight. Im gonna have to make an aggressive move this weekend though. Im confident.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:18 pm

I was in the same boat...vacation , terrible swirling 10-15 southish winds.....I was trying everything I could to make that wind work...Saw 4 shooters ...No shots

I did manage to find 2 new spots that work like a charm for this god forsaken wind...Saw 3 bucks, just not what I am looking for..AND THEY NEVER KNEW I WAS THERE...

My thinking is I burned some of my best spots....I saw what I was looking for when I was looking to shoot them BUT there was NO WAY I was shooting them...If I would have been alittle more patient the conditions would have been correct for me in another week or so..I would not have been on vacation but I do believe that those spots would have payed off then..

I am just excited to find the new spots...
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:44 pm

Honestly I think that is one of the worst things you can do is and what sets the really good hunters apart is ability to hunt the wind. The most common mistake I see with inexperienced hunters is taking a chance on a obviously bad wind. 99.9% of the time it just doesnt work. At times you can squeeze by with an off wind if you set up for it but I see way too many people hunt good spots with bad winds because its "time". Generally you are wasting your time doing that. Just be patient and work with what you have. If nothing else this gives you something to work on in the offseason finding multiple spots for every potential wind
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:51 pm

If you want a good, easy rut set up....go to a river, find a spot along the river with the wind in your face. Bucks love to work the rivers with the wind blowing from the land to the river. It’s easy for them to scent check that way. If you can find a pinch near the river, a bedding peninsula, something to sweeten the deal...all the better.

I wouldnt try to cheat the wind.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:52 pm

matt1336 wrote:If you want a good, easy rut set up....go to a river, find a spot along the river with the wind in your face. Bucks love to work the rivers with the wind blowing from the land to the river. It’s easy for them to scent check that way. If you can find a pinch near the river, a bedding peninsula, something to sweeten the deal...all the better.

I remember Stan talking about this type of set up.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:36 am

matt1336 wrote:If you want a good, easy rut set up....go to a river, find a spot along the river with the wind in your face. Bucks love to work the rivers with the wind blowing from the land to the river. It’s easy for them to scent check that way. If you can find a pinch near the river, a bedding peninsula, something to sweeten the deal...all the better.

I need a visual example of land to river. Anyways, im hunting lousy spots because you guys are telling me to hunt the wind right now lol. Is this what you weirdos refer to as, “dating the fat chick”?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:41 am

Crazinamatese wrote:

I need a visual example of land to river. Anyways, im hunting lousy spots because you guys are telling me to hunt the wind right now lol. Is this what you weirdos refer to as, “dating the fat chick”?

No, that’s a spot that you like, but your friends would probably think you’re out of your mind for being there.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”