DIY out of state hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
bradyholcomb

DIY out of state hunt

Unread postby bradyholcomb » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 am

hey guys, i’m headed out next week to indiana. With this being my first experience hunting public land outside of Alabama what all should i expect? Will they be beginning to rut, southern indiana pressure? anything helps!
Thanks !

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: DIY out of state hunt

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 am

Expect lots of people and cruising bucks. Everyone that hunts in Indiana will be on vacation next week. Find places where they don't go.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:55 am

Burn a few days and scout as much as you can. Learn where pressure is high and where it’s low, and start putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Push hard but don’t forget to take a step back and enjoy the process, goodluck!
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:36 am

Real good bucks to be had. Go to the big forrest to beat pressure.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 am

Brady, I have 2 different posts on Ohio right now and explained how I plan to tackle the hunt in the guidance post. Maybe worth a read. The other post is basically a play by play.

Big difference is, I went down to scout a bit already. I still plan to burn some time scouting and evaluating pressure when I go back down to hunt. Yes, its tough to not be on a tree. But, it pays off. I rather burn a day or whatever and have a solid plan in good locations opposed to go in blind...hope and pray it is what it looked like on the map and see 7 tree stands and no deer all week.

Another thing, you may or may not be familiar with the terrain and habitat. Do as much research on that as you can and try to figure out how to get on the deer of you aren't familiar with that terrain. That's what I have in my favor. Ive grown up hunting very similar terrain. I am able to sit 250 miles away and drop pins and walk right to good looking spots pretty consistently. I have a decent understanding on how deer live and travel in a similar situation.

I think some guys struggle when doing hunts like this because it seems overwhelming. Brand new area etc. Break it down. Relate it to what you know and do your homework.

When I first got down there to scout I felt that feeling of being overwhelmed. I sat back and broke things down. Not joking, I walked right to a bench littered in deer sign.

I've only hunted a few states but I always find the same thing. Deer are still deer. Secure bedding, food and rut.

Enjoy the HUNT. Take it all in and learn from it. To me, that is the fun part. The time and work that goes into the HUNT. I like testing my skills and it definitely helps me grow as a hunter. I've been doing the same at home... learning to kill deer in new habitats. I grew up hunting hills. Never stepped foot in a marsh or swamp. I've learned to hunt marshes and swamps and am doing pretty well after some struggling/learning

Good luck!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:45 am

It was really good when I went a few years ago but from what I understand they Got hit with ehd bad last year.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”