Hunting Later in the Rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JMAR85

Hunting Later in the Rut

Unread postby JMAR85 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:12 am

A hunting "mentor" of mine told me before that in his opinion hunting later in the Rut, roughly 14-18 was the best time to catch the biggest bucks cruising to find the last remaining hot does. Not necessarily as much action but he said the big ones search all day. Last year I shot one of my better bucks on the 14th. Does anyone else have any opinions or experience for or against this?

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Hunting Later in the Rut

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:13 am

It lines up with what I see on the wma's I hunt but there is also less pressure in the woods at that time because all the weekend warriors have gotten tired by then and shut it down are went back to private land for the rest of the season.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:57 am

Awesome! I shot my best ever on November 14th too!

He crossed a well traveled road in broad daylight. And an Ag field. He was definitely very aggressive as he was thrashing a tree in the cover. I grunted at him and he came right in but I couldn’t get a shot because he stopped in the cover in the direction of where I grunted and couldn’t see anything.

Then as he walked off I snorted wheezed at him. Then about a half an hour 40 minutes later he comes back still trying to determine what had grunted at him and offered me a shot the second time. He crossed the Ag field a second time. He may have even crossed the road again.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:43 am

Have seen that mentioned a time or two and the guys who said it have some very big bucks to their credit. I like the early stages of the rut cause everything is running around for more activity vs just jumbo bucks.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:58 am

I have 2 close friends and certified (whitetail) killers out here and they both swear by the 3rd week in November. Last year I joined one during the Thanksgiving week in ND. When we went to check some of his cams (6 or 8) he had 10 studs that he's never seen before in those areas. I am trying to hold out to closer to that time frame this year.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:10 am

Biggest bucks I see are typically this week if the weather is right or more consistently the week before Thanksgiving.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:48 am

Nov 14 2019 too!
only 1 summertime TC pic of him.
Could of been right under my nose all the while but I doubt it.

I agree that Nov. 10th-18th can be really good for big bucks to really put on some daytime yardage.

Something to keep in mind when you hunt scenarios where you have less than ideal cover bedding, terrain, whatever on the property that you can hunt, but the property next to you has it all...
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am

I use to take meticulous notes while bow hunting.

Shot my two biggest bucks ever on the 17th and the 25th of November. My Sons two largest bucks were shot on the 14th and 20th of November. These four bucks ranged from 135 to 170”. One Public and 3 on private. Three bow kills and one lost to a malfunction on an expandable broad head. Never shot anything but fixed blade again.

Largest buck I ever saw while hunting was on the 17th of November. A giant 10 at 40 yds for several minutes. Sadly I never had a shot.

I also love late Oct especially around Halloween as the first big boys get restless during those first and last minutes of shooting light. Love scrape hunting early and late.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 am

Tuned into this thread, as I’ll be hunting KS public 15-21 this year. It’s as late as I’ve ever gone to the Midwest.

Here at home, I’ve grown to really like the downslope of the rut bell curve. Seems the scrapes in cover re-gain activity. And anywhere from 10 am - noon can get super interesting.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the responses! Great information from some great hunters!
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:41 pm

We’ve had snow on the ground and freezing temps here in my neck of the woods for about a week now. Multiple snow falls. Really strange weather. Some have been saying they’re seeing hot does earlier than normal. I’ve heard some guys say weather has nothing to do with it.

I’m not sure what to make of it, but It should be an interesting couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”