Seeing is believing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
boucheed

Seeing is believing

Unread postby boucheed » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:31 pm

My name is Dan Bouchee (new member and new whitetail hunter). I grew up in MT and hunted muley and elk never whitetail. After serving 30 years in the Air Force I am now in NJ (wife's home). So I am learning how to hunt whitetail, after listening to some early podcasts I decided to try something new to me... Marsh hunting. Dan Infalt said if you can find a point with a couple trees you will find a bed. Here is the story, I have some marshland near me and I found a point with some trees on it so I decided to go investigate it. See attached file for the image: https://postlmg.cc/nj5y3FQR

This point is off a state park and there are hiking trails (white line) near by. The red circle is parking so you can see it is not a big piece. (4 acres to be exact). I went in Saturday just to see if I could find a bed. Low and behold I jumped a deer, don't know if it was a buck because I didn't see horns but a deer none the less. The wind was blowing from the NW so I approached from the SE. I know I wasn't winded because I was close when he jumped up. I didn't see any more deer in the area. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. I confirmed the bed and found what appears to be his ingress/egress route. So here is my question... Should I have stayed and set up for that evening? If so based on the image where is the best area to set up. It was very thick in the treed area and I feel I would make a ton of noise so close to the bed. I figured I had already blown him out so I would let the area rest and think of a strategy for the next time.

Secondly, how would you hunt this area? I don't have a boat and even if I did I am still going to have to make some noise getting in there. As I said I think I found the deer's primary route in and out of the bed and I could take an alternate route in but i still have to get into the trees near by. I really feel this was a victory for me, I know where a deer is and I want to be smart about this and not blow an opportunity.

Thanks
Dan

Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Re: Seeing is believing

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:45 pm

boucheed wrote:My name is Dan Bouchee (new member and new whitetail hunter). I grew up in MT and hunted muley and elk never whitetail. After serving 30 years in the Air Force I am now in NJ (wife's home). So I am learning how to hunt whitetail, after listening to some early podcasts I decided to try something new to me... Marsh hunting. Dan Infalt said if you can find a point with a couple trees you will find a bed. Here is the story, I have some marshland near me and I found a point with some trees on it so I decided to go investigate it. See attached file for the image: https://postlmg.cc/nj5y3FQR

This point is off a state park and there are hiking trails (white line) near by. The red circle is parking so you can see it is not a big piece. (4 acres to be exact). I went in Saturday just to see if I could find a bed. Low and behold I jumped a deer, don't know if it was a buck because I didn't see horns but a deer none the less. The wind was blowing from the NW so I approached from the SE. I know I wasn't winded because I was close when he jumped up. I didn't see any more deer in the area. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. I confirmed the bed and found what appears to be his ingress/egress route. So here is my question... Should I have stayed and set up for that evening? If so based on the image where is the best area to set up. It was very thick in the treed area and I feel I would make a ton of noise so close to the bed. I figured I had already blown him out so I would let the area rest and think of a strategy for the next time.

Secondly, how would you hunt this area? I don't have a boat and even if I did I am still going to have to make some noise getting in there. As I said I think I found the deer's primary route in and out of the bed and I could take an alternate route in but i still have to get into the trees near by. I really feel this was a victory for me, I know where a deer is and I want to be smart about this and not blow an opportunity.

Thanks
Dan

In short.
Im born and raised in south jersey. Hunted extreme south jersey my whole life.
Im by far a Dan Infalt or joeRentmeester on this subject With that being said i started bed hunting when i started hunting about 25 years ago but i never thought of winds and thermals also timing. Also I was also a huge baiter.
Now I'm A (scout scout hunt) type hunter
( near good bedding of course ).
Just a few things I've learned in last few years are
Single beds in my area can be super tough.
Gotta have the right wind and the right time of year to know when he will use the bed.
Another thing is does that buck use that area all year long is that area actually an area he uses when pressured?
How close is food and wheres the girls?
What im learning is. Timing is dam near everything with this stuff.
Its like hunting a bedding area adjacent to a real good acorn flat. No acorns ? No deer.
Food is where they gonna be.
Follow the food.
Forbs and browse in staging areas are all that anytime of year. Bed hunting takes a bit to learn how the deer use the area , when they use the area , and why they use the area.
Very frustrating for awhile but in the long run. Very rewarding.
Dan i grew up in Jersey. Feel free to pm me we can chat anytime.
boucheed

Unread postby boucheed » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:39 am

Robert,

I just watched your video about hunting the wrong wind. based on the image : sent you that deer was bedded on the NW point of that marsh under a tree. What wind would be best for me to hunt that spot?

https://postimg.cc/nj5y3FQR

Dan
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:59 am

boucheed wrote:Robert,

I just watched your video about hunting the wrong wind. based on the image : sent you that deer was bedded on the NW point of that marsh under a tree. What wind would be best for me to hunt that spot?

https://postimg.cc/nj5y3FQR

Dan

Well i would try to somehow figure out what wind that buck is using certain point on.
If he is using that point which points to the south east.
To me and from what ive seen snd gave been learning.
The buck is probably using it on a north west or westerly wind.
He knows nothing will come up from behind him because he has the marsh or water to his back and he would most likely hear him and he is both watching snd smelling to his front. Pretty bulletproof if you ask me
So how do you hunt that?
I would enter and setup just outside of that wind streAm.
And also keep out oF eye distance of him (this is where we figure ouf in the post season how far he can see out
So get into the bed and see how far you can see out to
Setup on the edge of windstream and just outside his sihht range. If the winds switch and ya get dnagged ? Thsts hunting. Sight max for buck varies on thick or elevations.
Flat country i get 100 yards to 75 yards from bed. Stay behind the tree, slow snd silent movements setting up
Hope this helps.
Im no expert but thats is legit it works.
I slways choose the wrong dam tree though just out of range. Lol
boucheed

Unread postby boucheed » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 am

Thank Robert,

I saw you posted another video looking forward to it.

Dan
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:13 am

boucheed wrote:Thank Robert,

I saw you posted another video looking forward to it.

Dan

Anytime my friend. Just remember nothing is ever 100% with these animals. But seems to me their tendencies are pretty dam close lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”