Help me get a shot at this stud

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Chad B

Help me get a shot at this stud

Unread postby Chad B » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:44 am

5B473E10-DFC2-4C6D-AB55-EE3EAD97912B.png

Hunt #1 I got in this spot with a south wind 17mph Temp in the low 80s and spotted this buck coming down the hill north west of me. It was right at sunset. He stuck around for 5 minutes then headed north East along the creek. With the lack of sun coming through the canopy, I couldn’t get a good look at him until I got the rangefinder on him. He’s easily the biggest buck I’ve seen on this property. Hunt #2 I repeated this hunt with the same wind, temp, and moved the stand closer to the creek.

86D89977-21C2-4D6B-AEB7-9590C0754DAF.png

Hunt #3 This hunt was after a cold front that brought rain. East wind, I knew I shouldn’t have hunted this day but I didn’t know exactly where he was bedding and I’m very limited on time to hunt. With the leaves wet, I was able to walk in quietly but 20 yards before I arrived to my stand, I heard him blow and take off from the hill to the northwest. I believe he was somewhere in that black circle.

D3F92074-7857-47E7-BF8B-B7275CA08CE4.jpeg

Hunt #4 Cold front, wind is from the north East this time. There was another hunter parked 100 yards north of me on the road. The leaves are thick and dry. It took me almost 45 minutes to walk 100 yards to keep as quiet as I could. Luckily it was a Saturday and I was able to make it in early. Again around sunset, I see him and wow what a stud! This time he is by the creek again to the west. The canopy is more open where he is and he’s grazing around in some knee high grass. I see his head come up quick as he snorts and runs off north East. Thinking he caught wind of me, but he was looking west of me for the threat. I gave him a little while and he circle back, this time he is straight west of me in bow range. I draw back. He is standing where two trees meet at the base. The trees widen out almost two feet giving me a nice window for the shot. He has his head in that window and one to two more steps and I’m letting this arrow fly. He blows a loud snort and he’s running straight north again. I don’t know if he caught the wind or the squirrels this time.

I really don’t trust sitting this stand again, especially if he has winded me. I left it there to not make more noise, but It’s my only lw sticks and stand set up. I do have a climber though. I’d like to get another approach for this buck. Any thoughts would be appreciated. To the west of this ridge is a wide open crp field with a heavily hunter traveled entrance path at the south side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: Help me get a shot at this stud

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:15 am

I'd have to throw a morning sit on that bench he has been dropping off of. Just above your black circle. Probably an east or west wind and drop down onto the bench from above. Hang to whatever side is leeward depending on the wind direction that day.
Chad B

Unread postby Chad B » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 am

I’m thinking he may be bedding there in certain winds and I’ve bumped him from that spot once. What do you think about backing off for a sit with a bit more open view of the point?
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:45 am

What hunting app is that?
Chad B

Unread postby Chad B » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:55 am

Elite wrote:What hunting app is that?

It’s called Topo maps us and it’s for iOS. I screenshot the maps and used iOS to edit

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”