Mausers Ohio Adventures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
sbeasley

Re: Mausers Ohio Adventures

Unread postby sbeasley » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:28 am

I'll do anything to hang a buck in my barn, even if that means helping a beast drag one out.

I had a hunch Mauser was in my neighborhood. I remember his Michigan adventure from a few years ago and have been following along this year. We met for the first time yesterday at the kill site, started PM and texting a couple days ago. It's clear to me that this young fella knows what he's doing.

It always helps when the second rut is going on, do the math from November. I saw another shooter locked down with does about a mile from his truck. Oversleeping half a day; it happens. He has cyber scouted, for real scouted, planned, hunted - repeat. He made countless right decisions to put himself in the right spot at the right time. I'm much grayer but know I can learn from him

well earned :clap:

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 am

Thanx all!

I know I get long winded. But, I feel like there's a good bit of readers. I've learned so much from this forum. Maybe someone can learn from my posts. Maybe I inspire someone to load up the truck and go somewhere new. I wanted to make this trip for a couple years. I made a bunch of excuses. Reality is I was afraid. I didn't want to waste the time, vacation time, money, etc to come fall on my face.

Since finding the beast years ago, I've learned to embrace the challenges. Learn from it. Dan's marsh and swamp videos made me wanna find a marsh/swamp to hunt. Both my most recent PA bow kills have been early season marsh bucks.

This was a huge learning experience. Challenging. Confidence boosting. Even if I left here with an expensive piece of paper in my pocket, unfilled tag, it was a huge success.

Like Dan says...it's not about the kill. It's about the path you take to get there. To me, the adventure is worth every vacation day and penny I spent. Life is short. Take advantage of every second you get.

If I had one take away to pass on....deer are deer no matter where you go. Apply what you know and start from there. In places with heavy pressure, look for subtle things that may go overlooked by others. This area isn't crazy pressured...but it's consistent and steady and pull up a generic topo and you can walk to stand site to stand site. Any give day from late October through gun season there are atleast 20-30+ trucks parked in the general area...Atleast one other guy hunted the spot I killed my buck in....but for how close to the road it is, you'd think it'd be pounded.

Sbeasley, thanx again for everything! You're the man. You made my life 1000x easier than it should have been. It was a pleasure meeting you and I'm sure we'll meet up again.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:09 am

Great job . :clap:
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:15 am

Keep on posting mauser, I like your detailed writeups. I for one don't post much but I'm on here reading pretty much every day.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Well earned!
rhinoblake

Unread postby rhinoblake » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:46 pm

Great job and well earned. Really enjoyed reading. It isnt easy to detail your every move on a forum, but I am glad you did. I have been trying to put myself in really uncomfortable out of state hunts and I appreciate you speaking on the wasting time factor. When it doesnt work out and I make my mistakes I know I immediately think, time wasted should have been working. Gives me confidence for you to you to speak to that man.

Keep up the good work and keep posting. Also really enjoyed the details of the topography, transitions, etc
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:07 am

Great thread! Congratulations on a great bucks! I've been following this thread and it actually made me book a cheap airbnb in Southern Ohio for next year already. Being from SW PA it's always been something I've wanted to do on an annual basis. Watching how other people do these out of state hunts has given me the confidence to try it myself finally.
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 am

He shot it through the heart by the way. We’re gonna fry that this weekend :L:
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 am

Man I'm glad I had some followers and sounds like I've inspired a few guys! Awesome!

I wish I could post my setups...maybe I will try to draw them in crayons one day lol. I'm no beast. I don't even kill cereal. I've learned a lot here and through Dan's videos and learned to look at things differently and look for the less obvious.

It was an awesome adventure. Highs and lows. Several mishaps...from an early whiff to vehicle issues, electronic issues, uncontrollable weather...lots of miles on the boots and tires.

Sbeasley, thanx again for everything!! Enjoy the heart! Seriously, you went above and beyond and made my life a whole lot easier. And the pictures turned out awesome which are always great to have.

I thought my shot was a few inches off its mark when I saw the entrance in the hide. After skinning him and seeing I clobbered that near shoulder, that was right where I put it. That Thor sure did some damage. I'm surprised he was able to plow the 40 yards or so he did. He didn't have any functioning organs left lol. Top of the heart looked like it was dropped in a blender. Must attributed to the immediate blood.

Back home. Got a lot of work left to do. I've been living out of a big duffel bag since my first trip. Even when I've been home...lol.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”