Mausers Ohio Adventures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
bowtechjim

Re: Mausers Ohio Adventures

Unread postby bowtechjim » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:45 am

What phone do you have? Could it work as a GPS?

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:00 am

I do have and use OnX. I've been using both for several seasons. I just don't like OnX for pinpoint navigation. It'll get me in the ballpark.

Last night is a good example. The old logging road I use for access is nearly choked shut. If you're off by even a foot or 2, it's a nightmare. I don't know if it's my phone or just OnX...but my points and tracks are never as accurate as they are on my Garmin.

It's all good though....the GPS turned back on last night. Not sure what the deal was.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:45 am

mauser06 wrote:I do have and use OnX. I've been using both for several seasons. I just don't like OnX for pinpoint navigation. It'll get me in the ballpark.

Last night is a good example. The old logging road I use for access is nearly choked shut. If you're off by even a foot or 2, it's a nightmare. I don't know if it's my phone or just OnX...but my points and tracks are never as accurate as they are on my Garmin.

It's all good though....the GPS turned back on last night. Not sure what the deal was.

It acts that way for me as well .
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:32 pm

12/02/20.... afternoon.

I didn't forget about posting....late start to heck of a day!

So I intended to get up at 730-8ish this morning. I knew the snow would be loud and it's my experience, it's pretty much time to focus on evenings again. Pressured movement isn't really happening. Figured no reason to blow deer out walking in and be onnthe woods for 12 hours.

Well....in typical mauser fashion I woke up at almost 11 o'clock. I've been burning the candle pretty hard since October and I know I need some sleep but I'm not down here to snooze in a hotel room!

I was pretty upset with myself. Threw my gear on and loaded the truck.

It was after noon when I parked.

I wanted to hunt something different than yesterday because I kinda stomped all over checking tracks and such.

I remembered the first spot I looked at during my last trip...it really caught my attention and needed hunted.

It's only....500yds from the road...I've never seen a truck parked there. I did find where someone climbed a tree with a climber exactly where I would have in archery season.

I have accessed through there several times now...it's a little tricky and access is through pretty good buck and doe bedding and secure feeding.

I stayed low in a cut in the hill and slooooowly worked my way up the side of the cut. I spotted at least 2 deer milling along up high where I expected them to be... enjoying the sunshine. Couldn't tell what they were and never saw them again.

Took about an hour or so to go 500yds or so.

The spot is a saddle in the ridge. 3 sides is all old clear cut. To the one side is fairly open woods and oaks. It was exposed to the sun and I figured they'd be enjoying the sunshine and eating after being holed up for the last couple days.

I found a tree that gave me everything I wanted...

I wasn't standing there very long. Maybe a half hour or so...4 does came trotting through the open oaks. Kinda looking back. Didn't seem spooked but they were trotting. They quickly dropped down in the ravine opposed to using the saddle which I thought was strange...they popped up the other side and kept going through the thicket.

I texted a buddy "4 does just trotted through...maybe bullwinkle is chasing them".

Put my phone away and it dawned on me...a buck very well could be following then...I need to stay ready.

I grabbed the Encore and knelt down. 2-3 minutes went by and another deer appeared!

Immediately saw a rack. I cranked the scope upto 6x and cracked the hammer back. He was on the same path at the does..50-60yds away... He stepped out from behind a tree and I saw what looked to be a decent rack. Good enough for me!

I knew if he took a few more steps, he was dropping down that ravine and would be out of my life. He was quartering towards me pretty hard. I've never killed a deer with an inline...but I've killed a few with the 300gr Thor bullets I'm shooting and knew they'd do the job. I put the cross hairs on his front shoulder and squeezed.

He wasn't very far from the edge of the ravine and of course that's where he went. Couldn't really tell reaction wise if it was a hit or not. I thought I heard him crash and I never saw him come out...but he could easily sent down the ravine and I'd never saw him.

Waited...waited... nothing. Quietly reloaded and decided to give him a few minutes.

I couldn't take it....I was confident in the shot and nearly certain I heard him crash.

I snuck my way over to where he was.

That uncertain anxiety we get after the shot was immediately gone. It was a blood bath at the point of impact. I was certain I drilled him.

I snuck along and looked down the edge of the ravine. It looked like you took a 4ft wide shovel through the snow and leaves and a gallon of red paint.

But....I don't see a deer? Ugh! Here comes that feeling......

Ive never seen blood or a plow job from a deer that wasn't drilled. But if you've followed my posts for years, you know weird stuff happens.

I careful made my way down the trail.

WHEW!!!! He was in a pile in a couple old limbs.

As I was walking up I about fell over.

I didn't get a great look before I shot...I just knew he had a rack and looked like a couple points on his beams.

He's no monster....but when 80-100 class deer are your norm...he looked like a giant lol. By far my biggest buck. First out of state kill. First buck with an inline.

So.... remember who were dealing with. Me...and bad luck and weird stuff happens pretty regularly.

My camera on my phone absolutely wouldn't work! Same issue happened when I shot my PA buck....and I've since taken a LOT of pictures without a hiccup.

I have been talking to sbeasley the last couple days and know hes nearby. I sent him a text telling him a had a buck on the ground. Without any hesitation at all, he offered to come help. I was kinda beside myself. Nearly a stranger offering to drop what he's doing and drag a buck out.

I tagged and checked in my buck and hiked down to the truck. Dropped layers and traded in the Encore for the deer sled. Sbeasley showed up a few minutes later and we met for the first time.

We hiked in and he was gracious enough to do a photoshoot for me!!!

Oh...my first 10 point too! A lot of firsts!

Definitely owe a lot to The Beast...I'd never met sbeasley...I'd never be where I am as a deer hunter ..I'd probably never left my little bubble of hunting the same couple stands all season and never getting on deer.. looking back...I was really on the struggle bus to even see deer consistently. And here I am....out of state dropping the hammer on a solid public land buck.
Last edited by mauser06 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Congrats! Followed your adventure and you deserve that buck.
America works when Americans work.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Good job man! I've enjoyed reading up on your hunts this year. I can sympathize with all of the travel hunting difficulties!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:59 pm

Congrats!! So much for the early bird gets the worm. Haha
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Awesome buck! Congrats I been following along and pulling for you.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Thanx guys!!

WV... I gotta say I was freaking out when I woke up....and super upset with myself. The time and money that's gone into this adventure....and here I am snoozing in a hotel room like I'm on vacation or something! I wanted to go in late...but not THAT late lol

I will be honest....that's the first time I've shot a critter and was flooded by a rush of uncontrollable emotions. And I've killed a few critters...the time and work I've put into this...if someone simply looked quick, they'd say "oh a guy went to Ohio and shot a buck...must be pretty easy..". I tried to detail this post as I went along. This was my 3rd trip this year. I put probably 20-30 miles on my boots. Anyone that's hunted Ohio hill country knows what those miles are like. I put time in behind the windshield. What I didn't talk about much was the endless hours pouring over topos and satellite images. There were times I had my GPS, OnX and a couple screens on my laptop open.

I'm still beside myself. Reality is still setting in.

I had nearly no expectations to punch my tag this year. To come to a brand new place is a daunting task in itself. A LOT to try to learn.

I think part of my success was the leg work I did early on. It was hard to not hunt screaming fresh sign on my first trip. I spent a few days on my 2nd trip putting more miles on my boots during prime time...I have located several areas that definitely have great potential. But when it came to hunting, the 3 "stands" I've had, were all on the same ridge...

I've considered staying and scouting more. Hotel is books till Saturday. I don't wanna ruin anyone elses hunt stomping around....or chase them a buck. Lol. And, my girlfriend has been amazing. Hasn't given me a bit of crap...not a single word. And she's keeping the house going and taking care of my dogs. I think she was more excited than I was when she knew I had one on the ground. She'll be happy to see me tonight. I owe a lot of this to her as well.

The off-season will be sent pouring over topos and satellite images. I have a few areas to come back to...and will add more as time goes on. Actually betting I will be down here in turkey season. Turkey hunting has been terrible around home. I can drive down here and turkey hunt and scout for deer.

I will be back. But you all know the Adirondacks have also been calling my name!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 am

Awesome man !!! Beautiful buck and great story!!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 am

Way to go man, you earned it. Great buck
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:19 am

Congrats mauser, you earned him. I've enjoyed following along through your updates.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:52 am

Great Job. Awesome Buck.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:32 am

congrats on the hard earned buck and thanks for sharing your adventures with us..really glad you connected with such a nice buck!
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:53 am

Awesome buck and great work! I really enjoyed reading your threads the last few years. Thanks for posting your adventures!
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”