Kentucky

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
sutton17

Kentucky

Unread postby sutton17 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 am

A buddy and I are planning to bow hunt Kentucky public land this year and I am looking to get a little info mainly about pressure and general areas.

Obviously its public land and a lot of things change a lot but we were looking at coming down the first weekend of December and possibly a few times after that depending on success. Being that its a little later in the season does the pressure start winding down or is it pretty consistent throughout the year?

We haven't narrowed down a part of the state but and general info (places to avoid) stuff like that would be awesome. I'm not looking for specific spots just general useful information.

From what I've read east is more mountains and west is more farm land is that for the most part true? It looks like some of the WMAs have a quota hunt the first weekend in December. I haven't read about all of them yet but is that a weekend we should avoid to give ourselves a little more flexibility with places to hunt or is the quota hunt limited enough we will be fine.

I greatly appreciate any info that anyone can help me with.

Thanks

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Kentucky

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am

I hunted north eastern part of the state in Sept, pressure was minimal and I would not consider it mountains. It was hill country in my mind. 300-400' elevation changes, give or take. Beautiful woods over there, really enjoyed it.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:49 am

I live across from Louisville. Anything along or near the Ohio River should be good. Just not sure on pressure. I know here in southern indiana pressure really slows up after gun season is over. I think most hunters get burned out come December.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 pm

I heard they had an ehd outbreak...any truth?
Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:10 pm

I have a lease with some buddies that butts up to the Daniel Boon. I was there last year for the first 5 day of the rifle season. Only heard one other shot that sounded lime it came from the public. Seen a couple vehicles in public access pull offs. Nothing crazy.

The place is awesome. Big hills if you are used to flat land like myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:35 pm

There is more flatter ground in the west, swamps but still plenty of hills, You have your choice. Pressure will be at peaks end first week of dec.,you will have to work at finding a buck for sure. Pressures high then. Last day of gun season is thanksgiving sunday. The bad thing about the swamps at thanksgiving is the 1000s of duck hunters come pouring and fill up almost all water there is, it comes in thanksgiving weekend as well. Not sure about east that much havent hunted it at all. Gun pressure is usally super high but before and after isnt to bad for bow, pressure wise.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:I heard they had an ehd outbreak...any truth?

Havent heard any thing about ehd in my area. Usually if there any its in the eastern part. But no big out breaks ive heard of
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:46 pm

UofLbowhunter wrote:
Eddiegomes83 wrote:I heard they had an ehd outbreak...any truth?

Havent heard any thing about ehd in my area. Usually if there any its in the eastern part. But no big out breaks ive heard of

My wife's friends husband went up there a week or 2 ago and said he was finding dead deer along the river bank. He assumed it was EHD

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”