My plan to kill a Burban Buck...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Prairie Sasquatch

Re: My plan to kill a Burban Buck...

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:55 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
Prairie Sasquatch wrote:Next year dig a kiddie pool in the ground and keep it full of water all summer in a spot that works good for entry and hunting if he will let you. Best thing I ever did in my back yard.

Thanks for posting that. Gonna do it my back yard. Ever have any issues with it becoming a mosquitoe breeding factory?

No mosquito issues at all. I think they drink the water too fast in mine. You won’t believe the number of critters that use it. Deer, cats, dogs, skunks, fox, coyotes, raccoons, birds of every sort and variety. New this year was bees. It was really dry here and there were thousands of bees drinking water all day this summer. Best part of that was my wife loves bees for some reason so she was running the hose out to fill it up to make sure her bees had plenty of water.

The deer do like to stand in it and puncture them. I used the old one to protect the new kiddie pool which I put in the bottom. I’m going on year 4 with these two pools. Put a rock or a stick in it so critters can crawl out otherwise you’ll end up with a bunch of dead things in it. Mostly mice.

Mine is about 100 yards from where a lot of does bed and they use it throughout the day during the summer.

On a larger scale we put two dugouts on my father in laws farm and it probably tripled the number of deer using the property. The farm had everything they needed except easy access to water. Those dug outs were money well spent for the wildlife.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:50 pm

Prairie Sasquatch wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
Prairie Sasquatch wrote:Next year dig a kiddie pool in the ground and keep it full of water all summer in a spot that works good for entry and hunting if he will let you. Best thing I ever did in my back yard.

Thanks for posting that. Gonna do it my back yard. Ever have any issues with it becoming a mosquitoe breeding factory?

No mosquito issues at all. I think they drink the water too fast in mine. You won’t believe the number of critters that use it. Deer, cats, dogs, skunks, fox, coyotes, raccoons, birds of every sort and variety. New this year was bees. It was really dry here and there were thousands of bees drinking water all day this summer. Best part of that was my wife loves bees for some reason so she was running the hose out to fill it up to make sure her bees had plenty of water.

The deer do like to stand in it and puncture them. I used the old one to protect the new kiddie pool which I put in the bottom. I’m going on year 4 with these two pools. Put a rock or a stick in it so critters can crawl out otherwise you’ll end up with a bunch of dead things in it. Mostly mice.

Mine is about 100 yards from where a lot of does bed and they use it throughout the day during the summer.

On a larger scale we put two dugouts on my father in laws farm and it probably tripled the number of deer using the property. The farm had everything they needed except easy access to water. Those dug outs were money well spent for the wildlife.

What is a dugout?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Prairie Sasquatch

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:59 am

In the west in cattle country many areas don’t have a water source. So you take a backhoe and dig a hole in a low spot to allow the animals to get to the water.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Good luck Ed. Bucks seem more active in Mass too.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:59 pm

Well - as my luck would have it - work came into play for yesterday's hunt... :violin:
90% confidence factor for a hunt today though :whistle: :think:

Bear opened the 1st of September & Bow the 15th - I have yet to step in the woods due to freakin' work... :cry:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am

Got in @ 315.
Squirellville!
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:44 am

Good luck Ed. Shoot em dead.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Got in @ 315.
Squirellville!

That means there’s food in them thar woods.

Good luck!
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:19 am

GL Ed!! Get'em!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:33 pm

C'mon Ed - see any deer?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:33 pm

And???

How’d it go?
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:15 am

No luck...
Left climber attached to tree.
Think I'll wait until the next best wind.
Hopefully next week
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:58 am

Well what now?
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:18 pm

I got a little spot similar to this in an urban area up against a tiny swamp, deer are pretty transient in my spot, but I always check it, have a stand in there, and run a cam, never know when a stud will walk thru... what is nice is the deer are a little more tolerant to activity and I’ve killed one nice buck and a few does here

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”