What do you do?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
User avatar
Gardner Swamp
500 Club
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 am
Status: Offline

What do you do?

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm

When you come across stands that are not allowed to be up overnight? Do you leave it be,let the DNR know,or take it?

Image
View from the stand
Image


User avatar
Swampthing
500 Club
Posts: 3335
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm
Location: Western Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. I came across 1 on Thurs.I lug my stand in and out evry time.And it kinda pisses a guy off to see a stand left out .Makes a guy wanta cut the thing down.Never thought about calling the DNR,until now.Makes a guy even more mad to see ATV tracks out there too.I had a spot picked last year that was a 1/2 mile out.And I really had high hopes for the spot.The day I go to hunt it there was ATV tracks all the way out there with a big honking ladderstand .
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33368
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:26 pm

I contact the DNR and give them the GPS coordinates.
Nothing irritates me more than people that think they can just do what they want on public land and create bad experiences for others who want to hunt there.
User avatar
Ack
Posts: 2911
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm
Location: Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Ack » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I know what you mean....I know the whereabouts of a ladder stand that's still out on public land, and he's got until March 1st to pull it or I'm making the call. You guys ever notice that it's almost always the ladder stands that are left out?
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33368
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Ack wrote:I know what you mean....I know the whereabouts of a ladder stand that's still out on public land, and he's got until March 1st to pull it or I'm making the call. You guys ever notice that it's almost always the ladder stands that are left out?

Yes....they are too much work to take back out and they think nobody will have the ambition to try and steal them.
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:04 pm

I prefer to see the stands left in......now I know where the hunter will sit and use it to my advantage. Pretty easy to find the access trail the guy uses too.

I literly know where dozens are in right now. Some are ladders, others nails and 2x4's.

Some of the county land here in WI it is LEGAL to leave a stand during season.(as long as no harm to the tree.)

Now the stand in the picture looks like a two man stand.......hard to belive a guy hauls that in himself to hunt. Bet it's a guy and his kid......right or wrong I'm not calling the DNR on a kids hunt.

That probably was a gun stand.
User avatar
magicman54494
500 Club
Posts: 4158
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: central and northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:35 pm

I leave them and haven't reported any yet. I do leave indicators that I have been there to give them some food for thought.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 33368
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:I prefer to see the stands left in......now I know where the hunter will sit and use it to my advantage. Pretty easy to find the access trail the guy uses too.

The problem I had was there was a great spot that I gun hunt up north and this guy decided to follow my tracks in the snow one day and set up a 2-person ladder stand 10 yards from where I was hunting. I know for a fact he knew I was hunting there and he knew I had shot a few deer over the years there but decided he wanted to claim the spot for himself by putting up a ladder stand and leaving it up not only for the season but it was still there the following spring.
I legally removed my stand from the woods everytime I hunted and then this bozo tries to claim the area by leaving his up. If he would hunt there and remove his stand every day as well like I did I would have absolutely no problem with him hunting there because it is public land and nobody has the right to claim a spot as their own.
Some people should be required to pass a hunter ethics test before they are allowed to purchase a license.
User avatar
wappkid
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:36 am
Facebook: Brian Stucker
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby wappkid » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 am

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:I prefer to see the stands left in......now I know where the hunter will sit and use it to my advantage. Pretty easy to find the access trail the guy uses too.

The problem I had was there was a great spot that I gun hunt up north and this guy decided to follow my tracks in the snow one day and set up a 2-person ladder stand 10 yards from where I was hunting. I know for a fact he knew I was hunting there and he knew I had shot a few deer over the years there but decided he wanted to claim the spot for himself by putting up a ladder stand and leaving it up not only for the season but it was still there the following spring.
I legally removed my stand from the woods everytime I hunted and then this bozo tries to claim the area by leaving his up. If he would hunt there and remove his stand every day as well like I did I would have absolutely no problem with him hunting there because it is public land and nobody has the right to claim a spot as their own.
Some people should be required to pass a hunter ethics test before they are allowed to purchase a license.

Stuff around here don't get left out on public land here past hunting season. Missouri Dept of Conservation will tell you if you find it remove it.I have never took anybody's stand.But know people who have.
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 am

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:I prefer to see the stands left in......now I know where the hunter will sit and use it to my advantage. Pretty easy to find the access trail the guy uses too.

The problem I had was there was a great spot that I gun hunt up north and this guy decided to follow my tracks in the snow one day and set up a 2-person ladder stand 10 yards from where I was hunting. I know for a fact he knew I was hunting there and he knew I had shot a few deer over the years there but decided he wanted to claim the spot for himself by putting up a ladder stand and leaving it up not only for the season but it was still there the following spring.
I legally removed my stand from the woods everytime I hunted and then this bozo tries to claim the area by leaving his up. If he would hunt there and remove his stand every day as well like I did I would have absolutely no problem with him hunting there because it is public land and nobody has the right to claim a spot as their own.
Some people should be required to pass a hunter ethics test before they are allowed to purchase a license.


Situations like that sucks and have had the same thing happen but .....what does it matter if the stand is left in or the other hunter brings one with him everytime he shows up? Bottom line he is now hunting "your" spot. That's the part that sucks......he probably would have never known about it without following your tracks in the snow.

One of the sad issues hunting public land. This is why I like the stand being in place..... at least I know where the guy will be, even it means he may have "overtaken" one of the areas I hunted.
User avatar
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Posts: 7162
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:11 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473
Location: Logged in - from above
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:08 am

magicman54494 wrote:I do leave indicators that I have been there to give them some food for thought.


:mrgreen: Right on, Magic- you know it bugs them when they see sign that you've been there. I come across all types of stands on a regular basis during the offseason. I also find decent looking spots on public and a quick glance around reveals tree step "marks" or climbing stand marks on a tree. Many times I'll think to myself, "where did the lazy hunter hide his stand" and find it under a blowdown or behind a stump, etc.

Then I leave indicators that I have been there to give them some food for thought. :lol:
User avatar
PLB
500 Club
Posts: 6975
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:49 pm
Location: NE Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 am

I agree with Hodag. They leave their sign behind so if its a real good spot and you don't want to give it up, you need to find away around the other hunter. Deer will do the same. I look at it as if the guy is willing to walk in as far as me and is doing everything legally, then he or she is probably a damn good hunter.
If I see permanaent stands and illegal bait with a 4 wheeler trail made on state land, well then I get pissed off and call the warden with GPS coordinates ;) Most of the time it is the latter that I find! :evil: Most of these that I find are placed the week before gun season with a pile of bait near it. There are many people that hunt, especially with the gun, that have absolutely no business in the woods with a loaded deer rifle imo!! People that place permananent tree stands and illegal bait on public land and try to claim the spot as theirs are lazy and have no clue how to hunt! This almost always accompanies illegal 4 wheeler use as they are too friggin lazy to haul their bait and stand in by walking! Ok I'm done ranting now!!! :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
User avatar
Hodag Hunter
500 Club
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:14 pm
Location: Northern WI
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I do leave indicators that I have been there to give them some food for thought.


:mrgreen: Right on, Magic- you know it bugs them when they see sign that you've been there. I come across all types of stands on a regular basis during the offseason. I also find decent looking spots on public and a quick glance around reveals tree step "marks" or climbing stand marks on a tree. Many times I'll think to myself, "where did the lazy hunter hide his stand" and find it under a blowdown or behind a stump, etc.

Then I leave indicators that I have been there to give them some food for thought. :lol:


Yeah, used to do this to but has backfired on me.....I found the guy usually moves but not far. Now I have to find his new stand location and if the stand was found before season or early season and I come back later how do you know where he is at without tromping around yourself?

I just found, for me anyways, it's best to leave everything alone, let the guy think he has the area to himself, and use his location to your advantage.

By us in WI a ladder stand or pegs and hang-on almost always indicates bait pile close by. Let the guy keep baiting and use this inel to your advantage with-out him ever knowing you're there. Sneaky?......maybe but if a situation like Dewey's who was the sneaky guy first?
User avatar
Zap
Posts: 10061
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: OK, I am in Kansas.....
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:03 am

In Kansas you can leave a stand up from two week's prior to and two week's after season.

Needless to say when I shed hunt I come across alot of hang on's still up. Some are there year after year, never taken down.

But there is a spot on the North side of the road that is part of a city park, it is leased from the Corp's by the city. They have a small golf course, driving range and model airplane field. But about a hundred acre's is seperated by a road and not used for anything.

There is a corp's bow only area right across the road.

Anyway there are half a dozen hang on's in there, the local warden say's he cannot enforce city ordinance..........

So it's a "gray" area......

It's pretty clearly marked "no hunting" on the wildlife area map's, and there are alot of deer in that spot.

The situation is pretty annoying to me.
When I called the warden last spring he said that he would meet me the next day and pull them, then he called me the next morning talking about how it was a "gray" area..........

The city was supposed to post it "no hunting" but never has.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
ttsbuck
500 Club
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: TWO RIVERS WI
Status: Offline

Re: What do you do?

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:28 am

I hunt portable and always take my stand out . I have actually talked with a few hunters on public who have told me that they have a stand left out in a certain area and yes it is usually a ladder. I really don't care I would rather know where they are so I can avoid them. Plus you know those guys are probably going to hunt that one stand exclusively. Also experience has taught me that when hunting public its much better to cooperate with others rather than creating conflict. I am not going to let other hunters ruin my time spent hunting public ground.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests