Hunting a Big 8 Need Advice!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
hoosierbowhunter90

Hunting a Big 8 Need Advice!

Unread postby hoosierbowhunter90 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 am

Hi all new member here,

I need some help.I have been after this big 8 point buck (biggest 8 point I've ever seen with my own eyes 150+++ I think) since the beginning of the hunting season (Oct. 1st Indiana). I know where he is bedding and I will attach photos of Arial maps with my access points to the property (private). This is my first year actually some what patterning a mature buck. all fields are beans uncut at the moment, The closest I have got to him is 160 yards. I am just getting nervous that is he going to leave the area when things start to heat up in the next few weeks. The property has food, water, and a ton of bedding (select cut a few years ago) and a ton of does so maybe he will stay. He hasn't moved since summer and is still in the same thick bedding area. My strategy so far has been to get on edge of field and wait for him to come out (I'm on the ground in a thicket). Should I get more aggressive and try to beat him to his bed in the morning? just not sure what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. I attached a new of the property, yellowing circle is his bedroom. Red area is access. I also attached a picture of the buck, took a few days before season at about 60 yards.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Re: Hunting a Big 8 Need Advice!

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:16 am

I'm not the most experienced hunter here, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I'd walk the field edge to find any trails leading to the suspected bedding. Find the best one and follow it in as close to the bedding as you dare, and then set up. I've noticed for myself, especially this year, you can catch the deer at the field edges the first week of the season, but after that you need to get them coming out of the bedding. They're not getting to the food until after dark.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
hoosierbowhunter90

Re: Hunting a Big 8 Need Advice!

Unread postby hoosierbowhunter90 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 am

Thanks, for the response. That is what I have always thought too. but this buck must be different or very comfortable because he is coming out before dark sometimes an hour before, but my only option is to go from ground. I have been debating doing what you are saying but since he comes out early, is he bedded closer to the field edge? I am most likely over analyzing what I should do. He also doesn't really care about my scent, hes came out and ate the beans right where i have walked and not cared. So maybe I just suck
LOL

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”