Ground Scent- killing me

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PredatoronthePrairie

Ground Scent- killing me

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:44 am

Need to figure out a solution to ground scent issues.

Last night had a crack at both my target bucks. 70 yards and closing. But a doe caught my access trail about 300 yards away and followed it right to my tree. Dang nag would not let up. Stomping up a storm.

I gave up on "scent control" a couple years ago. Making it to most of my sets is a workout.
But still try to follow clean practices as far as rubber boots, no gas pumping day of and such.

But has anyone cracked the ground scent code yet.
Dont care how much scent killer I spray on my boots. They still pick up the trail.

Honestly thinking of bringing a sling shot and bag of marbles with me next time. That will get her in gear and away from my stand.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Ground Scent- killing me

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:03 am

PredatoronthePrairie wrote:Need to figure out a solution to ground scent issues.

Last night had a crack at both my target bucks. 70 yards and closing. But a doe caught my access trail about 300 yards away and followed it right to my tree. Dang nag would not let up. Stomping up a storm.

I gave up on "scent control" a couple years ago. Making it to most of my sets is a workout.
But still try to follow clean practices as far as rubber boots, no gas pumping day of and such.

But has anyone cracked the ground scent code yet.
Dont care how much scent killer I spray on my boots. They still pick up the trail.

Honestly thinking of bringing a sling shot and bag of marbles with me next time. That will get her in gear and away from my stand.

I’m interested in answers too. Other than completely avoiding walking where the deer could come from, I don’t know of any solution.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they would follow your trail even if your boots had zero scent because we crush vegetation (green or dry) and stir up dirt with every step we take. That has to create a scent trail of its own compared to unbroken ground. And even if we’re completely scent free, then we probably don’t smell like deer feet and our tracks are much larger/one solid blob as opposed to the four points of contact of a deer.

I don’t think there’s any way around it other than avoidance.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:05 am

greenhorndave wrote:I don’t think there’s any way around it other than avoidance.

I think that is the only answer. Altering your access plan is the only way to be sure.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:12 am

Bummer.

Cause for this stand I'm taking the best possible access without bumping deer on my approach.

Either have to pass right by access bedding to the north or willow/cattails bedding to south so I split the middle through crp grass that's about 5 ft tail and crouch walk the 1/4 mile to the tree.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 am

PredatoronthePrairie wrote:Bummer.

Cause for this stand I'm taking the best possible access without bumping deer on my approach.

Either have to pass right by access bedding to the north or willow/cattails bedding to south so I split the middle through crp grass that's about 5 ft tail and crouch walk the 1/4 mile to the tree.

Maybe try a ground ambush closer to bedding on the right wind? They probably have patterned you to an extent, so change your pattern?
——-
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 am

its really about a well planned execution. you have to take your approach into consideration, what trails your going to cross, where the wind goes, where the thermals go, where you will get the best shot with the least disturbance, and take a chance at it and learn from what failed, regroup, and go back after it...
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:27 am

greenhorndave wrote:
PredatoronthePrairie wrote:Bummer.

Maybe try a ground ambush closer to bedding on the right wind? They probably have patterned you to an extent, so change your pattern?

Could be, but this is was one of my few private sets and and know for a fact this was a first time sit for anyone in there all year.

High risk high reward type of spot.
Caulk it up to a bad roll of the dice I guess.
Stings for sure, lost a couple hrs sleep last night over it.

Other thought was to keep the hide off a deer and make a set of boot covers for the final 500 yard approach. Ha
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 am

If you focus on where the deer are and set up correctly ground scent will become almost a non issue. Always put the deer in front of you.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:16 am

oldrank wrote:If you focus on where the deer are and set up correctly ground scent will become almost a non issue. Always put the deer in front of you.

A great way to say it... and one that I will keep in mind. Appreciate it.
——-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:33 am

I've had ground scent issues and have also had deer browsing and feeding right where i walked - bucks and does.

I've used EverCalm a bit and think there is something to it - Typically rub it on my boot soles and around the foot part. At $20 for a deodorant style stick - it might be worth a try.

All I can think of is that you will be shooting some does over there this year. Having 2 target bucks at 70 yards and getting messed by a doe is definite cause to freeze some fresh doe meat.
flyin9

Unread postby flyin9 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am

Rich M wrote:I've had ground scent issues and have also had deer browsing and feeding right where i walked - bucks and does.

I've used EverCalm a bit and think there is something to it - Typically rub it on my boot soles and around the foot part. At $20 for a deodorant style stick - it might be worth a try.

All I can think of is that you will be shooting some does over there this year. Having 2 target bucks at 70 yards and getting messed by a doe is definite cause to freeze some fresh doe meat.

Great conversation! Two of the best quotes I have ever heard are "nets are for fish" and "IF SHE BLOWS, SHE GOES!" watching Dan's video from the other night he said, "I'm not going to let a doe blow the opportunity more than once."
Nets are for fish. If she blows she goes.
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:58 am

Wish I could fill the freezer with her, ha
But limited to 1 tag a year.

To piggy back off this.

Would you guys go back in and hunt the same stand this Thursday after the front pushes through or let it rest.

The bucks didnt spook, they just feed off in a different direction. Had a small 3x3 feeding right below me when the doe was going off. Everyone kind of looked at her like she was nuts and kept feeding then eventually worked off.

A hard freeze over the next couple nights will kill off the native browse and clover they are feeding on and this spot will probably go cold till chasing starts.

But also dont want to kick them out of the area completely.

What would the beasts do?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:07 am

PredatoronthePrairie wrote:Wish I could fill the freezer with her, ha
But limited to 1 tag a year.

To piggy back off this.

Would you guys go back in and hunt the same stand this Thursday after the front pushes through or let it rest.

The bucks didnt spook, they just feed off in a different direction. Had a small 3x3 feeding right below me when the doe was going off. Everyone kind of looked at her like she was nuts and kept feeding then eventually worked off.

A hard freeze over the next couple nights will kill off the native browse and clover they are feeding on and this spot will probably go cold till chasing starts.

But also dont want to kick them out of the area completely.

What would the beasts do?

I would take the risk. The front might be real promising.
——-
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:16 am

Some will disagree with this but it works for me. My hunting boots are used for hunting ONLY. They NEVER come out of their tote unless I am putting them on to hunt. I don't even wear them scouting. This is and wearing clean gloves in and out on every hunt is about the only "scent control" I do anymore other than hunting the wind. I have deer cross and walk my entry trails all the time without spooking. Once in awhile they act like they catch a little something and get a little wary. But usually no problems. Not saying I never have negative effects from ground scent or that I leave none. Just last year I got trail cam video of a buck walking out of a bedding area and tracking my scent as I had walked by that cam in the dark 2 hours earlier. I was in a stand 300 yards away and I did not see that buck that day. He was a 4.5 year old bully buck that I had a lot of history with. Most of my experiences are on private land though so take my thoughts with that in mind. Good luck.
NorthStar
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 am

I tried storing my knee high rubber boots in a container filled with dried organic material (Leaves, pine needles, sticks, etc.) and my boots still smell like a Goodyear tire plant. And I am thinking that if I can smell that, then a deer certainly can as well.

I used to be so much more careless about ground scent and now I am religious about it. If I step somewhere that I feel deer will walk, then I just avoid hunting that spot altogether. And even with getting better at this, I still have doe and fawn bust with movement and getting down wind of me. Its so frustrating!
"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”