Tips for Young New Hunter

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jakehunter33

Tips for Young New Hunter

Unread postby Jakehunter33 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:49 am

Hey guys! I hunt in southern michigan(Oakland/Lapeer county) and all of the land around me is very high pressure. Hunters have hang-on/ladder stands all over the place. However after re-cooping my scouting strategy after watching some of Dans videos, I ventured into a swamp/marsh area with sign all over. My question is how do you get in and out of there without completely blowing it up? Maybe I need a saddle instead of a climber? Also there are mostly dead trees in the swamp besides this island in the middle of it. Any tips on what I should be doing different in my approach? I really want to get good at this so I would love some guidance.

backstraps

Re: Tips for Young New Hunter

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Hello Jake and...Welcome to the BEAST!!

As for tips on the swamps and marshes... Dan has a ton of content on both DVDs and his youtube channel.

There are a lot of super knowledgeable Beast members on here. I am sure you will get some chime ins !
Jakehunter33

Unread postby Jakehunter33 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Thank you!! I’m definitely happy to be here and begin this journey since I’m done with football!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Jakehunter33 wrote:Hey guys! I hunt in southern michigan(Oakland/Lapeer county) and all of the land around me is very high pressure. Hunters have hang-on/ladder stands all over the place. However after re-cooping my scouting strategy after watching some of Dans videos, I ventured into a swamp/marsh area with sign all over. My question is how do you get in and out of there without completely blowing it up? Maybe I need a saddle instead of a climber? Also there are mostly dead trees in the swamp besides this island in the middle of it. Any tips on what I should be doing different in my approach? I really want to get good at this so I would love some guidance.

Hi Jake, I recommend reading the "All time best tactical threads". Here is the link viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:38 am

Welcome!
Being your young and in shape dont be afraid to do alot of scouting, in-season and off season. The more miles the better! Defiantly dont be afraid to ask questions on here. Read and re read. And scout some more, the more places the better but spend a lil time with each place. I scout 3 to 5 diffrent place every year!rule out the crap and go with what looks good! You are defiantly at the right place! Dont give up!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”