Tree stand safety

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Tree stand safety

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Before I even start would like to note I usually have on some kind of climbing harness and don’t wanna jeopardize anyone else’s safety.

But when the avg hunter hunts 15 ft off the ground what is the rationale behind this “high risk danger” Just saying even if u take a spill @ 20’ it ain’t exactly cliff diving. Don’t know about anyone else but in my childhood and I’m literally talking about 5 years old, we had tree houses probably just as high as most stands. We jumped out of barn haylofts for fun. Was no safety system involved. In middle school I remember climbing ropes tied to the rafters, again no fall arrest system. While in the service at jump school we intentionally jumped off platforms higher than most hunt with no concern of safety.

How come the guys hunting in tower blinds don’t wear a harness while climbing in but put the same ladder on a tree and it’s now fear factor. Suspect more folks die from choking to death eating popcorn each year or squirrel hunting in Iowa than falling out of a tree. Just curious why media tries to scare the bejesus out of hunters for reasons other than selling product.

Eat the donut not the hole!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Tree stand safety

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:33 pm

I'm a lot heavier than I was when I was 10. If I fall from 15, it would be bad. Gravity is a b$#@h.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:41 pm

This is a stupid post. Everyone wear a harness.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Primetime wrote:This is a stupid post. Everyone wear a harness.

Awesome!

No one is invincible...
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Boogie, you bring a TON of value to this site.

However, on this subject it needs to be VERY clear....

Tree stand falls are by FAR the #1 cause of hunting fatalities.

The difference between your examples, and falling from a stand. Is that a fall from a stand is often unexpected. Aside from falling onto a stick/branch/climbing stick/your bow/a broadhead... ect. Is that your spine/other parts of your body are not able to handle a fall quite like your legs can when you are prepared....

Sure, you could probably jump out of a tree at hunting height in perfect conditions and be “ok” but fall? Not the same...

Wear your harness... especially when you are transferring weight from your climbing method to stand. & Vice versa. And NEVER trust a branch. (I know, I know, I climbed trees too)

When you know better, you do better. And I don’t wanna read about anyone here missing a season, or their life...
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:31 pm

Here is an article from the NRA that states that the chances of being shot are 90% lower.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... -accident/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:17 pm

I get what your saying Boogie and your first paragraph obviously states your not telling people to go climb trees and disregard safety harnesses so lets not get so worked up guys.

Looking back through my life I did so many incredibly stupid things I’m truly amazed I’m still walking this earth. I suspect we can all share stories of absolutely idiotic things we did growing up.

As far as safety harnesses go I think they were indeed a great addition for tree stand hunters and saved way more lives than we can ever imagine. No different than seat belts and airbags in vehicles.

Pretty sure we all know somebody who had a tree stand accident. Some get lucky and some pay the ultimate price. As much as I hate wearing a harness I know my odds of surviving an accident are extremely higher if I don’t make that severe impact with the ground from 20 feet up.

I know one guy who had a bit too much to drink the night before the gun opener and was still drunk when he climbed to his tree stand before dark. Sometime after daylight he passed out and fell backwards out of his stand over 20 feet to the ground. They found him on the ground uninjured snoring away sleeping off his inebriation. That’s what you call one lucky SOB. He was probably so limp from being drunk and that’s why he never got hurt. Kinda like drunk drivers who survive bad car accidents. On the other hand I know of at least a couple guys that fell much less than that and were paralyzed for life and a few others died. If they had a harness on they would no doubt still be enjoying what they love to do.

Quite honestly I don’t nearly hear as much about tree stand accidents anymore like I did in my younger days before safety harnesses became popular. It’s night and day difference these days. Thank modern harnesses and all the preaching about safety for that.

Wear your harness. Don’t be a statistic.
Hookslinger

Unread postby Hookslinger » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:20 pm

Early on I did some not so smart things with tree stands, and I'm lucky I never fell. It doesn't matter if its only 15 ft off the ground. Land on your head or hit the ground in a weird position and you'll be in bad shape. Just not worth being paralyzed or dead.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:55 pm

Dewey wrote:I get what your saying Boogie and your first paragraph obviously states your not telling people to go climb trees and disregard safety harnesses so lets not get so worked up guys.

Looking back through my life I did so many incredibly stupid things I’m truly amazed I’m still walking this earth. I suspect we can all share stories of absolutely idiotic things we did growing up.

As far as safety harnesses go I think they were indeed a great addition for tree stand hunters and saved way more lives than we can ever imagine. No different than seat belts and airbags in vehicles.

Pretty sure we all know somebody who had a tree stand accident. Some get lucky and some pay the ultimate price. As much as I hate wearing a harness I know my odds of surviving an accident are extremely higher if I don’t make that severe impact with the ground from 20 feet up.

I know one guy who had a bit too much to drink the night before the gun opener and was still drunk when he climbed to his tree stand before dark. Sometime after daylight he passed out and fell backwards out of his stand over 20 feet to the ground. They found him on the ground uninjured snoring away sleeping off his inebriation. That’s what you call one lucky SOB. He was probably so limp from being drunk and that’s why he never got hurt. Kinda like drunk drivers who survive bad car accidents. On the other hand I know of at least a couple guys that fell much less than that and were paralyzed for life and a few others died. If they had a harness on they would no doubt still be enjoying what they love to do.

Quite honestly I don’t nearly hear as much about tree stand accidents anymore like I did in my younger days before safety harnesses became popular. It’s night and day difference these days. Thank modern harnesses and all the preaching about safety for that.

Wear your harness. Don’t be a statistic.

What made me think of this entire ordeal was yesterday I was sitting on my porch watching workers across the street put shingles on a 2 story house.They were climbing ladders with bundles of heavy shingles on there shoulders and walking on top a steep house. Didn’t look like anyone was concerned about becoming a statistic. Just got my wheels turning about this entire safety stuff. I mean wearing back ups for back ups, and this kinda harness here is more likely to kill ya than the fall. Certainly wasn’t implying that folks throw caution to the wind. Just curious why in hunting it’s the serious issue but nobody seems to care in the roofing industry.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:18 pm

I agree w you and understand the post. It's all about readership - the hunting media will write anything they think you'll read or click on. Safety is a "safe" topic. A few guys fall every year and it is mostly preventable.

I think most issues w tree stands are user error. We become complacent in using them and make mistakes. Harnesses will catch the guy who forgets he's on a small platform in a tree when the deer comes by or he wants to pee on a squirrel or something. Not all folks are exactly coherent as to their surroundings at all times - and sometimes stuff breaks.

A coworker's husbands friend put a lock on in a tree and gave it a bounce - turned out he broke a weld on it by tightening the chain too much and landed on his but 12-15 feet below. Broke a couple of things. I got a nice lone wolf climber out of that deal as coworker and her husband will only use ladders now.

15 ft is further than I want to fall at my age.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 pm

I take it real serious, one because I’m not fond of heights, but two, probably the best athlete I know fell out of a tree and broke his back. Wound up being ok, but it wasn’t like, well, me right now, an old guy that needs to lose weight. He was an amazing athlete and he was about 20 when it happened. Ever since then, I have never thought twice about using one.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:22 am

Believe this was taken the wrong way. Guess I did a poor job of explaining so I will take another crack at it....

Will start by saying I one stick climb so I always have a harness on. I said usually wear one cause in some cases I hunt tucked back in cedar trees around 6 ft high and with all the limbs it’s just isn’t feasible to use a climbing belt. If If I get seriously injured falling a few feet out of a cedar Bush that’s just a risk I’m prepared to take.

What I don’t wanna see happen and the point of this ramble is I don’t wanna see hunting end up like fishing. Where u r required by law to have a laundry list of safety stuff in the boat. Being a good idea is irrelevant! I don’t like being told what I must do for my own personal safety. I don’t want the gustapo checking my hunting gear for harnesses and flare guns.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:31 am

My cousin fell 20 feet off his stand and landed face first, broken jaw, broken ribs, broken back, partially paralyzed from the waist down. Wont climb into a tree stand again. I think I will wear a safety harness. But agree that it shouldnt be a requirement.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:59 am

I think i get your post boogie. I know i hear about people getting seriously injured or dying from falls every year. I think its great that there is so much information and good equipment available to allow us all to easily avoid this kind of accident when it doesnt seem like that was always the case in hunting's past.

I think Mike Rowe sums it up well in his "Safety Third" talk. Its a good one if you haven't heard it. Basically says nobody cares about your well being more than you. Its up to ourselves to get home safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0RrhkMk2zY
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:06 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Believe this was taken the wrong way. Guess I did a poor job of explaining so I will take another crack at it....

Will start by saying I one stick climb so I always have a harness on. I said usually wear one cause in some cases I hunt tucked back in cedar trees around 6 ft high and with all the limbs it’s just isn’t feasible to use a climbing belt. If If I get seriously injured falling a few feet out of a cedar Bush that’s just a risk I’m prepared to take.

What I don’t wanna see happen and the point of this ramble is I don’t wanna see hunting end up like fishing. Where u r required by law to have a laundry list of safety stuff in the boat. Being a good idea is irrelevant! I don’t like being told what I must do for my own personal safety. I don’t want the gustapo checking my hunting gear for harnesses and flare guns.

Ok, now I’m picking up what you’re laying down and I’m in total agreement. Everything we’ve all described here are PERSONAL choices and should stay that way.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”