hunting hard but no results

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

hunting hard but no results

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 am

This is my second year beast hunting and man it has been a rough opening week. Iv'e hunted everyday of the season in bedding areas that held deer all summer and i've been out 9 times and have only seen one spike after legal light ended. I'm getting discouraged but I know if I keep scouting and trying my best eventually something has to change. What were some of your longest streaks without seeing anything and then finally it happened? Everyday I keep telling myself today will be the day and i'm doing everything right. The one thing i've learned so far is that I thought I had it figured out by finding all these bedding areas in the spring but they are a ghost town this fall, im guessing the early season bedding areas in my woods are in completely different areas than the late season/spring bedding areas. So next july and august im going to scout hard for bedding areas. I may blow out my early season hunts but the knowledge is worth more. I still have all of October, November, and December and if I keep at it, eventually it will work out.

Jrdeerhuntr

Re: hunting hard but no results

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:55 am

I am by no means fluent in beast yet (my 2nd year of beast hunting as well), however I say this just as encouragement. Last fall I sat probably close to 10 times going into mid October and only seeing 1 deer rear end briefly. I was doing the same as you hunting area I scouted in the spring. The biggest thing i have changed this year, is "doing the opposite." I have yet to see anyone out hunting this year. My main focus is to be in places no on else is. I have sat 5 times this year and seen deer on 4 sits. I had one shot at a doe but the brush was thick and it a twig i did not see. Saw two bucks fight for 40 minutes a week ago. keep at and think outside the box.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nomadicbeastwi

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 am

A long time Beast member Stanley would say. "You gotta pay your dues". ;)
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:26 am

It took me years to have it come together. This year hasn't been the greatest start for me either but it's early yet. Take a break or put your stand on your back and scout until you find sign that is worth hunting. It takes time to figure out how and when those beds you found in spring are actually used.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:29 am

Try scouting late winter/early spring. Often times summer beds are different than fall beds. Cover changes, food sources change, etc. I used to have a buck bed that was used all summer. Religiously. Close to the season it went cold. I'm somewhat convinced that he bedded there in the summer because it was shaded and cool.

You need to find the active beds. Not saying what you're hunting is wrong. Sometimes it doesn't change.

Not uncommon to hunt beds and not see anything. There's a learning curve. Finding the beds is usually the easy part. Figuring out where to kill them and execution of the hunt is the hard part.

Right now, I want to hunt a marsh spot this evening. I know where I wanna be. Problem is the wind will blow into the bedding as I circle to the back side. Every year I've tried it, I've never seen a deer on this wind. Little details like that have taken me some time to figure out. I never thought about my wind blowing towards the beds a few hundred yards off. The year the hunt worked like it should, the wind was blowing almost 180..into the bedding from the stand. Almost. Just off. I think I'm gunna try the front side. It'll be similar. Blowing into the bedding but just off. Only issue will be of non-shooters come by and hit my wind and blow before a shooter gets up.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:41 am

Scouting your way in can sometimes tell you if the area is active or not. If there is no fresh sign, tracks, rubs, scrapes, browse, droppings and so on, your timing is probably off for that spot. If that's the case keep scouting until you find it.

If the sign is hot but there are no deer then I have to ask myself the questions.

Are these day beds or night beds?
Did I wind bump/ sound/ sight bump the deer on my way in?
Did I read the beds wrong and I'm here on the wrong wind for them to bed here?
Am I to far away for the deer to get to me before dark?
Has another hunter burned the spot?
Plus 40 other questions like those.

If you keep asking the questions, eventually you'll figure out the answers.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:44 am

Another point to remember is..... if it were easy guys like Dan would only hunt one day a year and drag a buck out each time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:51 am

There have been years I hunted extremely hard and didn't see my first shooter buck till early November. I killed my biggest buck in that exact scenario. Only shooter I saw that season and the only one that really mattered. It can all change in an instant so the important thing is to keep your head in the game so your prepared for that moment when it happens. Getting discouraged and not sticking to your plans is a sure way to lowering your odds.

One of the biggest mistakes I see here is guys expecting fast results with this type of hunting. It's not as easy as it looks. Sure there are some who take to it right away especially if they live in a great trophy rich area but a majority have to put in the time and build up experiences to learn from. Nothing good ever comes easy.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:01 am

I know of guys on here who are stone cold killers, who have several year long dry spells.

Look at Dan, I don’t know if he’s seen a shooter from the stand yet this year. And he’s not “A Beast” he is THE beast :lol:
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:14 am

My advice is simple:

Take a little break to recharge and refocus.
Ask questions.
And scout with your stand on your back.
When you find “The Spot” you’ll know

Just slow down. It’s a long season.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:27 am

I’ll be honest..... Hunting a few times with no action just plain sux. I’ve hunted for many years and it still bothers me when I turn into a bird watcher. But what those years have taught me is if u r seeing a ton of deer you are probably not set up in a spot to kill a big one. To hunt the big boys u gotta dig deep and do some soul searching. You must hunt them different and there’s not many of them. So that equals a lot of uneventful sits. This is why 5% of hunters kill 90% of big bucks year after year. Most don’t have the stomach for it in the real world.

Look at things in a positive. Hey at least this time next season you know exactly what not to do. Only takes one outing to make it the season of your life so keep at it. Every once in awhile I get the blues and just wanna see some freaking deer. So I spend an evening sitting a hot food source where I know I will atleast see some doe’s and young bucks. That recharges me and gets me back in my happy place. Hunting is suppose to be fun! We ain’t starving to death. Do what u gotta do to keep it fun and u will keep at it.
Eat the donut not the hole!
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:48 am

I think it is human nature to believe that if we work hard we are entitled to the results we think we deserve. Its an understandable mindset, but doesn't always apply to success in hunting. Some of the most successful hunters I know aren't necessarily "grinders" but they save their most dedicated time and effort for hunting in as good of conditions as they can find. Quality over quantity can go a long way in time in a stand. Dont burn yourself out early and be sitting at home when hunting is at its best.

Watch how the success thread gradually explodes from about oct 25-mid nov.....this is not a coincidence year after year.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:13 am

It also helps to not lock into just the spots that you pre scouted. Unfortunately, most of us don't have 40 pre-scouted spots to bounce around on, which makes it easy to burn up the spots you do have.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:25 am

briar wrote:I think it is human nature to believe that if we work hard we are entitled to the results we think we deserve. Its an understandable mindset, but doesn't always apply to success in hunting. Some of the most successful hunters I know aren't necessarily "grinders" but they save their most dedicated time and effort for hunting in as good of conditions as they can find. Quality over quantity can go a long way in time in a stand. Dont burn yourself out early and be sitting at home when hunting is at its best.

Watch how the success thread gradually explodes from about oct 25-mid nov.....this is not a coincidence year after year.

I was gonna say that but the “R” word is highly frowned upon :lol:
Eat the donut not the hole!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:39 am

I agree with a lot of the guys here. Change it up and keep it fun. If it’s not fun, take a break. Go fishing. Shoot some birds. Watch football. Take the woman out. Whatever. It’s important to have fun. That’s how you get better too. If you’re in the woods, engaged you’ll notice more. You’re going to be on your game and in tune with what’s around you because you’re not mumbling to yourself how much it/you suck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”