Cloudy Days and Mature Buck Movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
The Silence

Cloudy Days and Mature Buck Movement

Unread postby The Silence » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:30 am

Have you guys found that mature animals may move out of their comfort zones a little earlier if you've got cloudy skies and more shadows?
I've noticed that tendency as well if I'm set up where the sun going down produces shadows earlier in one part of a field, or area earlier, that
the deer in general and older bucks sometimes feel more safe as they use those shadows like cover. Just looking at any factors that may help the big boys
come out earlier to play.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Cloudy Days and Mature Buck Movement

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:29 am

Depends on hunting pressure and other factors I believe. Example, they will tend to want to feed when barometer is falling ahead of an approaching storm, often that means its cloudy. So did they move early because it is dimmer or because the barometer is causing them to want to feed? Other cloudy days they may not move early.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Cloudy days may make movement happen earlier but it also gets dark earlier - seems like a wash.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:42 am

Im sure you were asking about this for a specific hunt but ill throw mine in

In general, I definitely prefer sunny days. I agree w Rich M that it will actually get dark sooner when its cloudy. Now if were going to add on some spot showers or rain all day that is going to stop, then im contemplating asking to leave work early! I cant get there fast enough in that case.

During the rut I wouldnt care that much. Ill hunt the rain during that time. But still a nice cool, sunny day is great day for deer movement and planning for thermals.

Also, I cant be sure yet, but during a full moon im looking for cloudy day movement. If the lighting is why deer dont move far or come out then maybe the clouds help..? Just something iv been thinking about. I know there are certain Beasts on here w enough trail cam data to answer every movement question there is.

At the end of the day, if youve got the deer pegged, setup right and in tight - then youll likely see some movement. No matter what the conditions. Thats why everyday is a good day to hunt.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:20 am

Thanks everyone for your input. The reason I ask was that I had been on 2 hunts recently that were both on cloudy days and I saw deer movement quite early (including 2 mature bucks).
I went a day later on a very sunny day (with similar cooler temps at night) and just like clock-work the same deer I had seen the other 2 evenings came out using the shadows to travel in.
The bedding areas are not far away for any of those animals but I saw how shadows can be one more card to play in getting those mature animals up and moving out of their beds. Thanks again
for your thoughts.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:17 am

Cloudy and windy has produced so many big buck sightings for me that I really look forward to those days. It’s no coincidence they seem to prefer moving in those conditions. Sunny and calm has never been real good for me.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:45 am

I rationalize that deer are naturally low light movers so it makes sense that low light conditions would trigger better movement to me. During the rut I especially like cloudy/drizzly days. Contact a guy who runs dogs and ask when the best days are and why
Eat the donut not the hole!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:03 am

You would sure think they would move earlier on those dark cloudy days....but almost all of my buck kills are on clear blue bird sky type of days.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:27 am

In my experiences I have always speculated this to be the case but time and time again have not seen it pan out that way. However I still hold on to the belief that cloud cover on full moon days will keep them on a more favorable schedule for movement during shooting light.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:33 pm

I have killed a few good ones in cloudy conditions just before a weather system moved in.
I figured they moved more because they were getting ready for a period of less activity while the heavy rain moved through.
I have seen good movement right after a strong front moves out also.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”