Spooked a big buck while pulling stand out of tree -- need advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
westwind

Spooked a big buck while pulling stand out of tree -- need advice

Unread postby westwind » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:23 pm

The title of the post sums it up pretty well.

I sat from 3:30-close today and had a small four pointer come walking by me very early (~4). I didn't see anything else, but via a cell cam I know that there were two nice bucks in the area just last night and this morning.

I use a climber. I climbed down the tree about 10 minutes after close and was using the redlight on my headlamp. Out of nowhere, a substantial sized deer appeared about 20 yards North of me. The wind at the time was mostly nonexistent, but it had been NW winds prior to it dying down. I stopped what I was doing, but the deer still spooked and bounded off and then paused. I got quiet and waited. After about 5 minutes of waiting, the deer blew at me for what seemed like 10 seconds straight, and then bounded off some more.

So, I want to get some opinions about this. I don't believe he smelled me. I don't believe he saw me, since he waited at a distance for a good 5 minutes before blowing, I was using a redlight, and there was brush between me and the deer. I believe he heard me getting the climber out of the tree, and that's it. Would you go right back after this buck, or would you give him time to chill out? The area I'm hunting is an overlooked spot that gets absolutely no hunting pressure except for me.

If I suspect correctly, here's the culprit:

PICT0129_202010021101WaB1t.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JakeB
500 Club

Re: Spooked a big buck while pulling stand out of tree -- need advice

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Hard to say, might not have blew him out the area. He likely won’t pass that tree in daylight though. Scoot up 50-100 yards in the direction he came from tomorrow and give it a shot. Worse that could happen is he doesn’t show up. In a few weeks he could be a mile away.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:58 pm

No doubt you rattled his cage. These situations are very situational, some bucks will be four states away by now and some returned by the next few days. Record the weather conditions and look at maps to figure out possible bedding locations. I dont know your area or the terrain you hunt so there are lots of variables. I will say from m.h.o though that the mature bucks don't tend to go far, they just get trickier with their travels and behavior. Good luck
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:25 am

As stated - try him again, but closer to where he came from.

Also record the data - this will be handy in the future. Might not be this buck but another one in a year or two.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:05 am

Another vote for taking another crack at asap. If he’s so spooked that he’s gone there isn’t much that you do about that. I’d move 100-200 yards in whatever direction he came from. I’ve done something similar and had the buck show up in the same area but an hour later the next day confirmed by a trail camera. Most likely the buck will just get smarter, avoid that tree, and or move even later in the evening.
Persistence is undefeated.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:31 am

Bounce around the area based on the wind. Dont hunt that exact tree again, expect him to scent check it so he may swing around it 50-60 yards.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:39 am

My experience has been that most bucks, especially mature will blow more than once or twice. And actually more often than not; not at all.
I would assume that it was not your target buck!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:26 pm

Arrowbender wrote:My experience has been that most bucks, especially mature will blow more than once or twice. And actually more often than not; not at all.
I would assume that it was not your target buck!

That is real interesting. My exp has been the complete opposite. Just curious what state you hunt?

*Edit - I will say that iv heard them blow more in the dark than the daylight.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:12 am

I spooked a big buck last season. I wasn’t sure but I don’t think he knew what happened. I backed out and the next night he came through again right before dark (on camera) Then never came through that area again... I was kicking myself for not going right back out. At the end of the day I don’t think anyone can say what that deer will do.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
westwind

Unread postby westwind » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:56 am

I appreciate everyone's input! I'm a couple days removed from spooking him and I'm feeling a little better about the situation.

As far as lessons learned, I think I'll wait a little longer in the evenings until I'm confident there isn't anything close by, but a certain amount of that is just the hand you're dealt on a given hunt. If a deer is going to walk up on you in the dark, it's going to happen.

I did hunt the area again on Sunday morning. I saw a doe & fawn, as well as a small buck.

Looking back on the situation, the buck waiting ~30-40 yards away for a good 5 minutes before blowing and bounding off makes me confident he never figured out what I was for sure. Considering I never got a great view of his rack, he may not be the target buck, as one of you mentioned above. My cell cam has produced photos of no less than (4) bucks big enough for me, so it may have been one of the smaller bucks.

My plan now is to hunt this area hard the last week of October/first few days of November. It's an overgrown fence row strip adjacent to a large thick bedding area. The trail follows the fence row, which runs along the west side of the bedding. Given the ridiculous amount of historic rubs along the fence row, it seems like a classic cruising spot for bucks to scent check the bedding with a NW or W wind. I suspect the buck that spooked is going to be cagey in this area, but the bedding area is *so* good and under-hunted that I don't think he will write it off completely. My hope is the pre-rut lowers his guard a bit and I may get a chance at him.

Last, on Sunday morning after I climbed down I walked up the direction he came from and did some scouting. There was tons of sign, both from this year and historic, but I ultimately didn't find a good spot to set up in next time. It gets very marshy and thick, with no trees larger than 3" in diameter. I started to find big worn down beds, which was only 100 yards north of the tree I set up. So, as many of you suggested, I'd like to get closer but I'm not sure there is an option. I don't think he was bedded far from me the other day -- he just didn't get quite far enough.

Thanks again, everybody.
Last edited by westwind on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
westwind

Unread postby westwind » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:01 am

double post, sorry

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”