Mid Day Wind Switch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Mid Day Wind Switch

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:40 am

Quick question for more experienced beasts. How are you targeting bedding areas when the wind switches mid day? For example, last weekend i had southerly winds all morning saturday then they switched to easterly around 1pm for the rest of the day. As of now my forecast is looking to be the same situation. So, would you be looking for areas that they would've bedded for a south wind, or target an area for an east wind if you're doing a PM hunt?

P.S. Im hunting northern MN big woods.

THanks

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Mid Day Wind Switch

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:33 am

Good question

A midday wind shift is probably the top reasoning for mature buck daylight pics I get. If you know the expected bedding area he may use - then yes. Otherwise a travel corridor is another good spot. Flat ground they may not even have to move like you expect besides turning their bodies the other way. Situational bedding area to bedding area.

Also be aware that if you see a forecasted shift midday, its smart to get in early bc it could switch sooner. Maybe even and hour or two before it says.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:01 pm

I hunt MN and would absolutely pick out a different pm spot. I rarely hunt the same am and pm spot based on perceived deer movement in relation to the wind. On a side note during rifle season I might do an all day sit and when the wind shifts I’ve noticed an up tick in shots fired. My assumption is that deer will move to re-bed when the wind conditions are no longer in their favor.
Persistence is undefeated.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:52 am

<DK> wrote:Good question

A midday wind shift is probably the top reasoning for mature buck daylight pics I get. If you know the expected bedding area he may use - then yes. Otherwise a travel corridor is another good spot. Flat ground they may not even have to move like you expect besides turning their bodies the other way. Situational bedding area to bedding area.

Also be aware that if you see a forecasted shift midday, its smart to get in early bc it could switch sooner. Maybe even and hour or two before it says.
218er wrote:I hunt MN and would absolutely pick out a different pm spot. I rarely hunt the same am and pm spot based on perceived deer movement in relation to the wind. On a side note during rifle season I might do an all day sit and when the wind shifts I’ve noticed an up tick in shots fired. My assumption is that deer will move to re-bed when the wind conditions are no longer in their favor.

So, if I'm following both of you correctly, you would try to target an area for after the wind has switched? Im asking because with my schedule i mainly only get to do PM hunts.
So, for an example, i have am winds of southerly, around noon theyre set to switch to easterly. I should set up on an area that favors that easterly wind, correct?
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:44 am

Yes, if your hunting the pm I wouldn’t worry what the am wind was. There are people on here that are dialed in enough they’ve figured out where deer bed based on certain winds. Once the wind shifts you’d want to be in a favorable position.
Persistence is undefeated.
MsDeltakilla

Unread postby MsDeltakilla » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:47 am

In a pressured area, would that deer stay in his bed, even though the winds are not favorable? I mean a true old deer who hunts hunters. Would he get up at 10am and move if the wind shifted?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:47 am

Cchez wrote:
<DK> wrote:Good question

218er wrote:I hunt MN and would absolutely pick out a different pm spot. I rarely hunt the same am and pm spot based on perceived deer movement in relation to the wind. On a side note during rifle season I might do an all day sit and when the wind shifts I’ve noticed an up tick in shots fired. My assumption is that deer will move to re-bed when the wind conditions are no longer in their favor.

So, if I'm following both of you correctly, you would try to target an area for after the wind has switched? Im asking because with my schedule i mainly only get to do PM hunts.
So, for an example, i have am winds of southerly, around noon theyre set to switch to easterly. I should set up on an area that favors that easterly wind, correct?

I agree w 218er, good post. I would prefer to be there before the shift, waiting for him.

Otherwise yes I would setup like a normal outing, just like if he was in that E bed all day. The timing of the shift is important though. If it shifts later in the eve he may stay put or get up out of the S bed early like was planning to do.
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:41 am

MsDeltakilla wrote:In a pressured area, would that deer stay in his bed, even though the winds are not favorable? I mean a true old deer who hunts hunters. Would he get up at 10am and move if the wind shifted?

I asked this same question a month ago.

Best response that I had gotten was that if you have a good idea where both beds are, or can make a good assumption of the route from point A to point B - get out before the switch and catch him on the move.

If you can get real close to the bed, or if it is gun season, maybe you can catch him readjusting in his bed or before he moves...
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”