Late early season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
mauser06
500 Club

Late early season

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:01 pm

If you remember my post about discovering a great buck literally in my backyard.....

Saturday, I was walking to my truck to head to work and heard a tractor seemingly close. I peeked into the woods and my neighbor was dumping yard debris in the woods between out houses. Figured it was a prime time to grab my card since the area is sorta disturbed.

The backyard buck is a regular passer-byer. As is a bunch of his friends.

I haven't analyzed the pics yet...but I think every morning and evening they are coming by. Often during shooting light.

They are hard horned now.

I have no idea where they are bedding but based on timing and direction, I am fairly certain they are bedding between the road and my shop. There is a small wet ditch of thick swamp grass and high thick nasty cover on both sides. The west side is my yard/shop...east side of that is a road. South is a road. North is my neighbors driveway. Based on times, I just can't see a parade of bucks crossing either road.

Not sure how many different bucks are there. Definitely 6-8+. I honestly believe it's a bachelor group and even days I get pics of the other bucks and not the biggun, I think they are probably all still in the area.

Acorns are raining right now.

My opener isn't until the....3rd. I'm scheduled to work 3-11. Off the 5th and 6th. I could hunt the morning of the 3rd..

Do you think they'll stick on that pattern??? I know this time of year 2 weeks can be huge.

Do I strike in the morning? Or evening? I seem to get pics of both times. Some days earlier or later. Often in shooting light but sometimes not.

I'm leaning towards a morning hunt...but not till the 5th when I can hunt morning and evening and if they don't show or I can't get him killed, I can hunt again Tuesday. My thinking is I'm in the tree when they come by. If they don't come by that morning, I am there that evening incase they were already bedded early...then again on the 6th just for good measure.

I picked out a tree today while I was mowing. It's like 16yds from where I mow and like 25 to the camera. They seem to walk by 2 different ways and from that tree it'll either be a 10 or 20-25yd shot.

Do I check the camera anymore???

Do I try to hang my stand ahead of time so I can really sneak in? Or wait and go in "mobile" and try to do it quietly?

He's a tank....

So much to go wrong. The westerly predominant wind is pretty bad. North or NE would be ideal...I'm not too sure the bedding is wind based. Several bucks and several are definitely educated 2.5+yo so it'll be tricky if they do parade by...and he's often in the rear.

Definitely looking for some guidance on how to strike.

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Late early season

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 pm

You'll get one or two chances at him - he's probably used to being disturbed by folks.

Hang it in the morning - if you go in there again they'll scent that you've been hanging around there.

I'm guessing this is an all or nothing kind of deal - pass the little ones, shoot the big one.

Make sure you can keep yourself together - sometimes things get jittery when they are that big and at 20 yards.

Best wishes - hoping to see your smiling mug. He's a beauty.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:36 am

Thanx Rich!

You're right...it's him or bust back there. Some of his friends would still be better than anything else I've killed....but, i am going to work on securing permission for the entire block...pretty sure it won't be a problem.

My plan is an early attack. Then a rut hunt or 2. There's a couple killer funnels. Then a late hunt or 2. It'll have a learning curve.

Like you said, even if I do bump them walking in or out ..I think I can get away with it occasionally.

Definitely going to have to keep my cool if they all parade by. Best case scenario is he kicks them all out and he stays.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:08 am

Good luck on him Mauser! He’s a stud.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 am

mauser06 wrote:Thanx Rich!

You're right...it's him or bust back there. Some of his friends would still be better than anything else I've killed....but, i am going to work on securing permission for the entire block...pretty sure it won't be a problem.

My plan is an early attack. Then a rut hunt or 2. There's a couple killer funnels. Then a late hunt or 2. It'll have a learning curve.

Like you said, even if I do bump them walking in or out ..I think I can get away with it occasionally.

Definitely going to have to keep my cool if they all parade by. Best case scenario is he kicks them all out and he stays.

If it were me, and naturally I dont know your particular situation....

I would hunt where you can now without saying anything to anyone

THEN, afterwards if you don’t kill him Id ask for permission

Sometimes making your plan aware to others can backfire in many ways. Maybe just a neighbor wants to walk back there and see what has you excited and mess things up etc

Just my opinion and man I sure hope you get the big boy down! Best of luck brother
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:25 am

That's an awesome buck and the one in the background is no slouch either. Is that a giant 4 point?

With your tree basically jumping distance from you're yard I would be hunting that every chance morning and/or evening you get with a good wind that first week. After that he'll probably be gone. You know he's there, no reason to check the camera unless you're blanking and wondering if he's still there.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:20 am

.....it's funny how alike some of us think.

I've been debating that exact scenario for a while. I've seen that happen. All the sudden someone's long lost nephew is throwing me off or just molesting the place.

Buddy had a VERY similar situation a couple years ago. Poof. Stands and blinds everywhere. Within view of his 1 stand actually on his few trees. That kid ran around like a mad man sticking numerous deer and chasing them all over and just ruining the area.

There is really only 1 other spot I'd wanna hunt this season and not till they really start rolling. A little ditch between fields connecting 2 chunks.

Then maybe this winter get permission for the rest and actually scout it. My cam is on my neighbors. I didn't ask specifically to hunt. But a few different times he's told me to not worry about anything just don't cut down any live trees. I probably still aughta let him know so if/when he sees me dragging that buck out, it's not a shock. Lol. Heck, if he looks my direction from his driveway he should see me...he had it timbered 2 years ago and there's not much for trees in that particular spot. I know he doesn't hunt and I don't think he'll care...I'd hate to ruin the relationship...

The other buck he's with on that pic I don't have too many good pics of. It's actually been difficult to get good clean rack pics. They often have their heads on the ground. Or don't sit still...or just a little far etc. I didn't wanna mess with the camera placement. I never expected anything like this when I hung it.

There are several bucks. A few other 100+ inchers and a couple 1.5yos. I've only gotten pics of 1 doe and 2 fawns and 1 of them is a button. Makes me believe it's a bachelor group and if I get pics of any of them, I suspect they are all coming through. Could be wrong...but he's always with other bucks. And I'm getting pics of them over and over.
DJKraftmatic

Unread postby DJKraftmatic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Id hunt him that first morning. Hang and hunt so he doesnt spot the stand. He is a stud. Hope you get him.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:06 pm

That is a beautiful buck
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Pretty hard to sleep..knowing he's probably within 100yds of me doing the same...lol (I work 2nd shift and stay up late and sleep in...).

The anticipation is unreal.

Realistically, I know 2 weeks (from the time of the last card pull) is a BIG 2 weeks this time of year for buck behavior.

I am going to analyze the data I do have....and try to play the wind, the weather, the moon...and make a strike when the season opens.

I just can't believe that buck....and all his buddies...tolerate me and the 2 dogs. The dogs almost never venture into the yard because they think the underground fence is still on...but they definitely bark at the deer.

We'll see how it plays out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”