will the meat still be ok?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: will the meat still be ok?

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Brad wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Brad wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:Wheres the pics

He's just a little dude, but it was awesome!
Buck_2.jpg

Nothing little about that. He’s WAY bigger than my first buck. Mine had 3” spikes. :lol:

Congrats on your first. There’s no better one than that one. 8-)

Thanks Dewey. My first buck (and only previous buck) was last year, and it was a gross 147 and change (the one in my profile pic), but it was on extremely low pressure private land, from a pre set tower stand on a buddy's property, during the rut, and with a firearm. I have it shoulder mounted and hanging in my living room. It looks great on the wall without question, and I am proud of it. Last nights buck is substantially smaller and much younger, however I decided where to go based on the conditions and the pressure around me, it was out of my saddle in a spot I decided to set up in, and it was a 30 yard shot with my bow. The first may be nicer, but this one... this one feels a little different.

Any deer with the bow is a great accomplishment but the first buck with the bow is special. Great job on the gun buck. That’s a heckuva buck anywhere. 8-)

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Brad wrote:Tonight I just took down my first public land buck! But here's my dilemma... I shot him around 6:30pm, I was able to track him down and find him just before it started getting dark, and he didn't get about maybe 20 yards. I planed to debone and pack the meat out, and I was planning to have my brother help but he didn't get off work till late. We were able to meet at midnight, but the gate to the conservation area was closed... we plan to go back in around 6am to get him out. The temp was around 74 degrees at the time of the shot, and it is only going to drop to a low of 54 degrees, so most of the night will be in the 60's. Hopefully no scavengers get to him, but assuming they don't, will the meat still be ok?

Im curious why did you not just go ahead and pack it out when you found it? Chances are the meat is still good
Brad
Facebook: Bradley Livingston

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:33 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Brad wrote:Tonight I just took down my first public land buck! But here's my dilemma... I shot him around 6:30pm, I was able to track him down and find him just before it started getting dark, and he didn't get about maybe 20 yards. I planed to debone and pack the meat out, and I was planning to have my brother help but he didn't get off work till late. We were able to meet at midnight, but the gate to the conservation area was closed... we plan to go back in around 6am to get him out. The temp was around 74 degrees at the time of the shot, and it is only going to drop to a low of 54 degrees, so most of the night will be in the 60's. Hopefully no scavengers get to him, but assuming they don't, will the meat still be ok?

Im curious why did you not just go ahead and pack it out when you found it? Chances are the meat is still good

well, I didn't because I had my small lightweight pack on me, and it would have taken quite a few trips and it was just under a mile through some pretty thick junk to get to/from. My brother has a frame pack, but he was at work and his stuff was back at his house. But the time I could have run to his house to get his stuff it would have been getting pretty late, so I asked if he'd meet me out there after he got off work. He did, and we got out there around midnight, only to find that they actually closed the gates to get into the area. The rest is history. Hindsight, if I am going out and he's not going to be in the same general area, go grab his frame pack first... or just get my own pack that can handle the job.

The other reason was I also shot a doe within a few minutes after shooting the buck, and I was not able to find her. Unfortunately we didn't find her the next morning either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”