Big Woods trials and tribulations... And a dilemma I need help with

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
stash59

Re: Big Woods trials and tribulations... And a dilemma I need help with

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:01 am

What KLEMZ said. :handgestures-thumbup:

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:29 am

Great posts Mike and MBone.

Hindsight is always easy and like Dan says, it’s a fine line between being too aggressive and not enough, and if you don’t blow some out you’re not in the game.

I should add one thing I forgot to mention since you both mentioned timing. Just like I forgot to mention it :lol: I forgot my phone when I first got to the spot and had to drive back to the cabin to get it. It’s only like a 5-10 minute drive, but it was still several minutes that might have made the difference.
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:20 am

Cool story!! That note is priceless. Good job getting on that deer, some areas I hunt are pretty similar sign wise it can be tough. As far as the shot if I could have gotten drawn back I would have tried to take it, all though in the moment it’s hard cause it happens fast I’ve been in similar situations and so far I’ve been to slow on getting the bow back.
Haste makes waste
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:08 am

Sounds like a typical big woods mature buck encounter. Burn that memory into your mind. That’s what it’s all about. 8-)

Each one as rare as they can be are a very valuable lesson. Learn everything you can from each experience. All of my coolest mature buck encounters have been in the big woods. Those bucks are true survivors and at the top of their game. Nothing like bucks we hunt down here in southern part of the state. Night and day difference actually. Add in extremely low numbers of mature animals and you are facing the ultimate challenge. I know my heart has been broken so many times up there but I loved every minute of it. There was a time I lived for hunting the northwoods. I faded away from that type of hunting in recent years but will make my way north again. There’s nothing like it.
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:21 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Edit: forgot to say that I found this on my window after I got out of the woods by the National Forest. Man it would have been sweet to drag that buck out right there...
20200920_083644.jpg

When people claim public land it drives me crazy! I would 100% be knocking on that guys door, being cordial the entire time, and let him know he's not entitled to anything unless he wants to get up earlier than everyone else. Good luck!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 am

Dewey wrote:Sounds like a typical big woods mature buck encounter. Burn that memory into your mind. That’s what it’s all about. 8-)

Each one as rare as they can be are a very valuable lesson. Learn everything you can from each experience. All of my coolest mature buck encounters have been in the big woods. Those bucks are true survivors and at the top of their game. Nothing like bucks we hunt down here in southern part of the state. Night and day difference actually. Add in extremely low numbers of mature animals and you are facing the ultimate challenge. I know my heart has been broken so many times up there but I loved every minute of it. There was a time I lived for hunting the northwoods. I faded away from that type of hunting in recent years but will make my way north again. There’s nothing like it.

Absolutely. I never expected to have that opportunity when going up there, but the collective knowledge gained here and in the field the last couple of fruitless years gave me a chance that was oh-so-close to paying off. Definitely things to be happy about but things to learn from as well.
——-
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:54 am

Dewey wrote:Sounds like a typical big woods mature buck encounter. Burn that memory into your mind. That’s what it’s all about. 8-)

Just thought of something else.

Were your buck encounters like that on the ground or in a stand hunting mobile?

In this case, I almost think being on the ground in my First Lite leafy suit and headnet would have been better than setting up in a tree.
——-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:21 pm

greenhorndave wrote:

Just thought of something else.

Were your buck encounters like that on the ground or in a stand hunting mobile?

In this case, I almost think being on the ground in my First Lite leafy suit and headnet would have been better than setting up in a tree.

Both. Some were on the ground snow tracking.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Terrific hunt and story Dave. This is exactly why I love hunting the UP. To me, it's not about the rack size or even knocking one down every year but about the challenge, the puzzle and the encounters. Perhaps I'm not the most skilled or efficient hunter out here and am certainly not to the level of a lot of guys, but I absolutely enjoy each and every encounter. Big woods hunting is amazing and the UP, to me, is truly underrated because of it's smaller rack sizes. Hunting up here is about adventure ( to me anyway) and I would'nt have it any other way. Okay, I'm done rambling, again, great hunt and write up!!! 8-)
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:49 pm

Cool stuff, Dave 8-)

I can relate to a lot of what you experienced. When everyone says they’re looking for fresh rubs and stuff I get it. It’s situational though. I know I’ve said it multiple times but if that’s what I’m looking for up here I might not be hunting for quite a while. They just don’t tear stuff up like they do in more ag regions (generally)

Turds are probably my number 1 (fresh sign) tracks as well but I often can’t really make out tracks in a lot of terrain and I’m not the best at aging a track. But telling if a turd is fresh I can do! It’s all about the flavor :lol: but in all seriousness I think you can tell hands down fresh crap.

Another thing, as I was reading your story and the sign was Getting better I was thinking to myself.. man, wonder if he should be setting up, and what time it was. I say this because in my big buck encounters in the UP they are up and moving much earlier than high pressure ag regions. You don’t need to be as close to a bed to get a shot during legal shooting hours. Although if I can I’m still gonna try and get close. By no means am I saying I would’ve created a better ending to your story and I think you did well. As mentioned by all, it’s a fine line we push.

The brush, it’s hard to say w out being on the ground there with my bow but I probably would’ve tried to fling through it. Once I had a 120’s 8 10 ft in front of me as I was laying against a tree. He bolted I grabbed my gun and yelled. He stopped at 20 yds as I yelled and he didn’t go anywhere after that. Dropped em. Obv much easier to pull of w a gun than a bow. If I have a deer bust and I can shoot I holler in that moment. I’ve stopped a few that way. You have nothing to loose at that point.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:44 am

Sounds like a exciting hunt.

If someone left that on my car my instinct would be whats big in here he doesn't want me to know about. Which would draw more attention to it.

While I agree i don't like pressure in my areas I realize public is public and we all have a right to be their.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 am

Thanks Lenny and 1st Strange!

To your points 1st Strange... I think you were dead-on about the earlier movement and not being as tight to bedding. I should have stopped when I saw the second or third fresh buck turd, when I actually stopped at the third or fourth. I was in the tighter cover where he felt completely comfortable moving in daylight and saw him at about 4:30-4:45. My mind was set on closing time and setting up a couple hours before that, which was about 7:20 PM. So your point on that was excellent and something I know now by learning the hard way. :D

And the piney stuff... yeah, in hindsight based on your view and Trout, I should have taken that shot, but first, I should have nocked up when I stopped by that last turd. Again, that preconceived notion of where I had to go bit me, although I had no way of knowing. Trout’s suggestion about preparing to shoot every time you pause is excellent.

I actually have some spruce trees in my yard, so I’m going to set up a little branch jig in front of my target and shoot through them in a similar way to see the effect it has on arrow flight at close quarters.
——-
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:53 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:Wow! Sounds like an awesome hunt! If i could have got an arrow nocked and drawn on him, I would have shot through that at 5yds.

Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

I just couldn’t get nocked without getting busted and then I would have had to draw parallel to his trail and then rotate back to perpendicular because the arrow would have fouled on the branches before the draw. The buck just caught me in a tangle... or should I say, I got caught in a tangle when in hindsight I shouldn’t have tried to get to the opening that my mind was set on and never got myself into that position. That’s probably learning #1.

I forgot to add that about 20 minutes before I saw him, someone was on the road just DIMEING Zac Brown Chicken Fried. Lol. Must have been my buddy Chop trying to booger me up.

Too bad I was in too deep for road noise to matter. ;)

I've never done an out west elk hunt, but something I learned from watching the out west elk hunting videos from born and raised outdoors, etc., is if you're going to stop to do anything- call, glass, hunker down, take a break, drink water, etc- stop where you arent exposed if an animal comes up on you but you arent so hidden you cant get a shot off. What I do now when I'm scouting, even in the off season, is I ask myself those two questions every time I stop moving (am I hidden, can I shoot). A couple other good examples are never stop in direct sunlight, never stop on the backside of an obstruction from the direction an animal is coming from. Murphy's law!

I'm envious of your hunt, getting that close to an animal like that on the ground would make my whole season.

Those are really good suggestions. I was glassing along the way, but I put myself in a spot that someone with claustrophobia wouldn’t have liked. :D So I couldn’t see anything with the binos in that spot anyway. I thought I was only going to be in that stuff momentarily, but the buck had other ideas.

It was a cool experience. Never saw a buck’s eyeballs that close on ground level, especially not a 3 or 4 year old.

Check out tonight's episode if THP, I dont wanna spoil it if you haven't seen it yet. But you will understand why it made me think if your hunt.

https://youtu.be/KOLcXutrNTA
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Trout wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Trout wrote:Wow! Sounds like an awesome hunt! If i could have got an arrow nocked and drawn on him, I would have shot through that at 5yds.

Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

I just couldn’t get nocked without getting busted and then I would have had to draw parallel to his trail and then rotate back to perpendicular because the arrow would have fouled on the branches before the draw. The buck just caught me in a tangle... or should I say, I got caught in a tangle when in hindsight I shouldn’t have tried to get to the opening that my mind was set on and never got myself into that position. That’s probably learning #1.

I forgot to add that about 20 minutes before I saw him, someone was on the road just DIMEING Zac Brown Chicken Fried. Lol. Must have been my buddy Chop trying to booger me up.

Too bad I was in too deep for road noise to matter. ;)

I've never done an out west elk hunt, but something I learned from watching the out west elk hunting videos from born and raised outdoors, etc., is if you're going to stop to do anything- call, glass, hunker down, take a break, drink water, etc- stop where you arent exposed if an animal comes up on you but you arent so hidden you cant get a shot off. What I do now when I'm scouting, even in the off season, is I ask myself those two questions every time I stop moving (am I hidden, can I shoot). A couple other good examples are never stop in direct sunlight, never stop on the backside of an obstruction from the direction an animal is coming from. Murphy's law!

I'm envious of your hunt, getting that close to an animal like that on the ground would make my whole season.

Those are really good suggestions. I was glassing along the way, but I put myself in a spot that someone with claustrophobia wouldn’t have liked. :D So I couldn’t see anything with the binos in that spot anyway. I thought I was only going to be in that stuff momentarily, but the buck had other ideas.

It was a cool experience. Never saw a buck’s eyeballs that close on ground level, especially not a 3 or 4 year old.

Check out tonight's episode if THP, I dont wanna spoil it if you haven't seen it yet. But you will understand why it made me think if your hunt.

https://youtu.be/KOLcXutrNTA

That was outstanding.

Key differences were being knocked (although they knew a deer was there and I had no idea), getting drawn and the shot through junk. I would have no concerns about shooting through what was in front of me now, as I was shooting a heavier arrow than Zach was, also with a single bevel. (633 grains, Aboyer SS Brown Bear)

Always a learning experience. I still can’t stop thinking about that opportunity.
——-
knapptime

Unread postby knapptime » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:25 am

nice of ol chaddy boy to leave you some toilet paper

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”