Breaking the Bank

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Online

Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:25 am

After several threads got me thinking about my personal memory. I conclude that whitetails have a much better memory than humans. Hence Breaking The (memory) Bank title. I believe a deer learns and never forgets. A button buck can be shown where to feed under bad winter conditions by mama doe. Years may go by, but when those conditions come again he remembers. Old permanent stands are another. We all realize what transpired while getting busted in a stand but do we all realize the same thing probably happens when we are not on post but our scent is. Same with years of floods or drought. Guess what I’m saying is deer have a way to remember. Reason no! If a deer could reason then when a truck pulled in they would dig a hole and hide.

But I do believe deer learn how to escape, relocate according to the seasons, and remember safety zones. Find it fascinating how deer can show up to a area almost to the day each year. There is something timing driven that allows this. When I ever see a good buck do something under a certain set of conditions, I expect him to do the exact same under similar circumstances at the same time. Except this time I am gonna be there to Break da Bank. Anyone see anything similar?


Eat the donut not the hole!
Burningbootleather
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 am
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 am

I don’t think they remember better than humans in general. They just have a lot less to remember and those things they need to remember are more critical to their well being.

We remember where the closest McDonald’s is. We remember what street we don’t want to walk down after dark-etc. We go to the same campground every fall, same concert venue etc.
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Online

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:16 am

Burningbootleather wrote:I don’t think they remember better than humans in general. They just have a lot less to remember and those things they need to remember are more critical to their well being.

We remember where the closest McDonald’s is. We remember what street we don’t want to walk down after dark-etc. We go to the same campground every fall, same concert venue etc.


We have dates, calendars, and clocks. Without them could u stumble in to your Mickey D’s a year to the date later? Just asking.....
Eat the donut not the hole!
HeadHunting
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:16 am
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby HeadHunting » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:52 am

Boogieman1 wrote:After several threads got me thinking about my personal memory. I conclude that whitetails have a much better memory than humans. Hence Breaking The (memory) Bank title. I believe a deer learns and never forgets. A button buck can be shown where to feed under bad winter conditions by mama doe. Years may go by, but when those conditions come again he remembers. Old permanent stands are another. We all realize what transpired while getting busted in a stand but do we all realize the same thing probably happens when we are not on post but our scent is. Same with years of floods or drought. Guess what I’m saying is deer have a way to remember. Reason no! If a deer could reason then when a truck pulled in they would dig a hole and hide.

But I do believe deer learn how to escape, relocate according to the seasons, and remember safety zones. Find it fascinating how deer can show up to a area almost to the day each year. There is something timing driven that allows this. When I ever see a good buck do something under a certain set of conditions, I expect him to do the exact same under similar circumstances at the same time. Except this time I am gonna be there to Break da Bank. Anyone see anything similar?



Great post Boogieman1!

I think this is something that some of the more seasoned hunters take advantage of and pay attention to more. Deer do have an uncanny sense of the things you noted. As was discussed in the subsequent replies, we as humans tend to associate ourselves and experiences with an area. Most hunters can tell you, "I killed that buck out of that tree right there." However could not detail what the wind speed or direction was that day, what the temperature was that day, had the temperature recently dropped or significantly raised, what food source the deer was using. Some couldn’t tell you where they suspected he was bedding or why they think he came to the area where they shot.
Head
User avatar
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am
Location: upper MI
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Burningbootleather wrote:I don’t think they remember better than humans in general. They just have a lot less to remember and those things they need to remember are more critical to their well being.

We remember where the closest McDonald’s is. We remember what street we don’t want to walk down after dark-etc. We go to the same campground every fall, same concert venue etc.


We have dates, calendars, and clocks. Without them could u stumble in to your Mickey D’s a year to the date later? Just asking.....


Boogie,
So many people in America eat there everyday now that a few just might :lol:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Burningbootleather
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 am
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:12 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Burningbootleather wrote:I don’t think they remember better than humans in general. They just have a lot less to remember and those things they need to remember are more critical to their well being.

We remember where the closest McDonald’s is. We remember what street we don’t want to walk down after dark-etc. We go to the same campground every fall, same concert venue etc.


We have dates, calendars, and clocks. Without them could u stumble in to your Mickey D’s a year to the date later? Just asking.....


Boogie,
So many people in America eat there everyday now that a few just might :lol:


I would think that has more to do with the timing of food sources being available. If Big Macs fell off of the trees in October ever year you can bet there would be people coming year after year at the same time.

I’m not saying that deer don’t have memories, maybe encouraging you to think deeper into why the deer is doing what it’s doing.
Burningbootleather
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:40 am
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Same thing with rut activities. If I see a bunch of good lookin girls at a beach, that memory is stored in my head for a long time. Deer likely will revisit an area they remember finding when they identify the seasons being similar to when they last found them as well as their hormones influencing them to do so.

I agree deer have good memories, but just making the point that it’s not a super memory and if it were you wouldn’t likely be getting near as many shot opportunities.
User avatar
muddy
Posts: 8589
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby muddy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Burningbootleather wrote: If Big Macs fell off of the trees in October ever year you can bet there would be people coming year after year


Ooohhhh g'lor show me THAT tree!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Online

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Burningbootleather wrote:Same thing with rut activities. If I see a bunch of good lookin girls at a beach, that memory is stored in my head for a long time. Deer likely will revisit an area they remember finding when they identify the seasons being similar to when they last found them as well as their hormones influencing them to do so.

I agree deer have good memories, but just making the point that it’s not a super memory and if it were you wouldn’t likely be getting near as many shot opportunities.


If u had no day or month to that thong ridden beach do you believe you could show up at that exact same time the following year? I’m not talking about keeping an eye on the shoreline for months. I’m talking about showing up from nowhere out of the blue dam near to the day.
Eat the donut not the hole!
Djp32
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:37 am
Location: southwest pa
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Djp32 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Well one other thing that does have annual patterns is the amount of daylight or length of day. Therefore if deer do indeed have the glands or whatever they say they have than it is very reasonable to assume that they know what time of the year it is at all times especially if the amount of daylight “triggers” specific senses like rut activity.
User avatar
hcooper84
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 am
Location: Southern Illinois
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:51 pm

I don't think it's fair to compare a deer to humans. We have so much more going on. Deer are only survive and reproduce.

Where I hunt, that buck has probably a square mile that he stays in the majority of his year in. With only survive and reproduce on his mind he's going to find out the best spots for both. I think especially us beast members find out where these spots are and we have much higher chances of seeing the buck consistently. He may be in there everyday, but you only hunted on Nov. 1st, saw him then next year on Nov. 1st you see him again. Then we assume he most know to be here Nov.1st but in reality he's there much more often.

I think alot of other things happen at about the same times every year. Like does coming in to heat, studies show that weather doesn't really play that much of a role, the does come in on their cycle and it's pretty consistent year to year. So he should be there at about the same time each year to breed the does.

Im saying that it sounds like we are giving a deer a sense of specific time when I don't think that is true. I think that their are other variables that happen consistently year to year that draw that deer in. And sometimes this even winds up being the same day year to year.
Swamp Stache
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:33 pm
Location: Western mn
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:34 pm

If I only got to chase my wife once a year your darn right I'd remember the week or two it could happen.... at least I hope I remember
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Online

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Swamp Stache wrote:If I only got to chase my wife once a year your darn right I'd remember the week or two it could happen.... at least I hope I remember

You can chase all year. Getting her to stay still is the challenge :lol:
Eat the donut not the hole!
User avatar
stash59
Moderator
Posts: 9549
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 am
Location: S Central Wi.
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:33 am

How much of what we attribute to a deer's memory. Is actually them reacting to what they smell. From what distance can they smell an estrus doe? Or a doe not quite in estrous? Doe family groups come into heat within days of each other. So from what distance can a buck smell these collective groups. How far away can they smell ripe or soon to be ripe acorns? Or corn, or tender succulent alfalfa? Or, from what distance can they hear. Ripe acorns bouncing off limbs as they fall to the ground?

Not saying they don't remember things. But how much, why and what. Is all hypothetical on our part.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
User avatar
mbarthelemy
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 am
Location: Central Virginia
Status: Offline

Re: Breaking the Bank

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:20 am

I think credit is misplaced a lot in as far as deer intelligence. Though it feels like deer have some sort of 6th sense to look up the very tree you are in for no apparent reason, or to flee an area and routinely show up to another. I think it is as simple as the forest is the deer's home 24-7-365. You would notice a strange smell or something being out of place in your home as well. Big bucks are just smart enough(unless chasing ladies) to flee the house and never come back.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bjordan1221, cjw5136, Google Adsense [Bot], Jonny, Primetime, psearchery89 and 19 guests