Ravine Bottom Hubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Ravine Bottom Hubs

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:55 am

I have cyber scouted an area in hill country where the topo lines make a shape like a chickens foot. I know we talk about paying attention to spots like these when they are on the ridge tops but what about hunting the bottom where three ravines come together in one spot? These ravines are about 200 feet deep and about 200 yards wide. I am guessing this is a tough spot to hunt based on thermals, but I am thinking this could be a good morning spot to sit, as all of the food sources are on top and the thermals are still dropping. Especially since I can access this spot from the bottom as well. My assumption is that this ravine bottom would act like a hub on a travel route from food to bedding.

Has anyone had any success hunting these types of areas? If so, how do you set up?

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Ravine Bottom Hubs

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 am

NorthStar wrote:I have cyber scouted an area in hill country where the topo lines make a shape like a chickens foot. I know we talk about paying attention to spots like these when they are on the ridge tops but what about hunting the bottom where three ravines come together in one spot? These ravines are about 200 feet deep and about 200 yards wide. I am guessing this is a tough spot to hunt based on thermals, but I am thinking this could be a good morning spot to sit, as all of the food sources are on top and the thermals are still dropping. Especially since I can access this spot from the bottom as well. My assumption is that this ravine bottom would act like a hub on a travel route from food to bedding.

Has anyone had any success hunting these types of areas? If so, how do you set up?

Falling thermals will go to the lowest spot wherever that is if its before 8am.
Thermal rise usually kicks in after 8 depending on the cloud cover.

Winds swirl so much in bottoms it is really hard too hunt them. My biggest buck kill was where a buck was j hooking upto bed. Had my thermal blowing into a creek.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Harvester

Unread postby Harvester » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 am

Bottoms look amazing to hunt and sign everywhere but thermals and swirling wind bust you every time. I used to hunt bottoms all the time when I first started hunting and was rarely successful, now I just stay away and if I see sign on the bottom I like, I'll get above it and hunt the ridges focusing on potential bedding based off wind
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
― Winston S. Churchill
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 am

You can take this however you want but I hunt the bluffs of western wisconsin. I or anyone could give you a game plan but every situation like that is going to be different because of how the many ravines run and wind direction or what time your thermals kick in due to sun hitting valley floor. If you want to give it an honest go you would be best off placing cams in the valley and see what they tell you in the most active areas then go from there. No 2 situations like that are going to be the same. For instance I know my valley thermals kick in around 1035 prior to daylight savings and around 930-940 after. I get terrible wind swirls but if I get a 25+ mph wind out of a certain direction it’s pretty calm down there . That’s the kind of specifics you want if you are going to try those setups. And get ready to get beat a lot down there
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 am

As mentioned above, bottoms are so tempting with all the nocturnal sign left down there... to multiply matters, the hubs in the valleys are super hard

Another tactic you may try.... find out when those thermals begin to fall in the evenings.
Stage in the bottom, away from the spot you want to hunt. Maybe 100-200yds away.
When you know the thermals are falling, or just starting to fall, then start to make your move.

"IF" you can get below him without being seen, you may have just enough time to setup for the last hour of light and get a crack at him
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Excellent stuff here everyone! What about gun season strategy for these areas? Would this make the hubs easier to hunt?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:23 pm

NorthStar wrote:Excellent stuff here everyone! What about gun season strategy for these areas? Would this make the hubs easier to hunt?

By the time gun season rolls around in an area, I generally have an idea where the "traffic" will be. Gun season for sure makes it easier. I usually find a wind safe vantage point and cover the bottoms with the range of the weapon. I like to face the hub walls from a side of a ridgeline if that make sense
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:03 am

I find the best time to get a consistent wind in a bottom like you describe is a very light wind/still evening and use the thermals to your advantage. Depending on what direction the bottom is facing they usually cool off faster in experience and thermals start falling earlier. Just make sure you are below the movement you are expecting and you are usually safe. Be patient and wait for the right conditions then hunt it. Milkweed is your friend

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”