Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
Weaver.b
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm
Status: Offline

Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:39 am

I have a buck on camera that has been showing up very consistently and using the same travel point on a certain wind. He is hitting my camera about 30 minutes after shooting light would be when season gets here. I know this is a loaded question but assuming he sticks to the same routine how much further to his bed do you think I need to get to be in the ball game. This is a marsh grass bottom land setting with movement being from bottom land headed out to hardwoods and ag fields.
Also I don't know exactly where he would be bedded I have to make an educated guess and move that direction. An observation sit in this scenario would be hard to make beneficial so I intend to go for it on the first good wind


When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
User avatar
Weaver.b
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:22 am

Ttt
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
User avatar
may21581
500 Club
Posts: 1168
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: north east ohio
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:10 am

I dont think he as far as you think he is. If i were a betting man I would say he is staging not far off the field and waiting till dark to enter. Find the staging area and find the buck in daylight.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
User avatar
Ghost Hunter
Posts: 3867
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am
Location: South Arkansas
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:05 pm

I would think he is close too. Might be just enough, temperature drop would make difference. Being its early season.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
User avatar
Weaver.b
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:58 pm

may21581 wrote:I dont think he as far as you think he is. If i were a betting man I would say he is staging not far off the field and waiting till dark to enter. Find the staging area and find the buck in daylight.

20200911_214019.jpg
20200911_214227.jpg
20200911_214047.jpg

20200911_111037.jpg

20200911_113011.jpg


The blue pin is the camera position On a creek crossing. I set that camera in the beginning of July and did not check it until I slipt in there today in the nasty weather.
I have him coming from bedding to the north and crossing south at night on winds out of the south based on weather history.
In the mornings he crosses from south to north back to bedding primarily on winds out of the west.
The creek crossing is 130 yards from the field to the south.

As you can see the terrain to the north is pretty monotonous to try and pinpoint bedding. From my prior experience hunting this area it is like as soon as you cross the creek and get into that thick marsh grass even the heavy trail at the creek crossing dissipates quick. There are no scrapes or rubs. I was scouting my way in in this spot last year and wasn't seeing sign or heavy trails but started bumping bucks in random cover around trees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
User avatar
Bio1
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:44 am
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Bio1 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Is he in the daylight at the creek crossing? Is the red pin your stand location? If so how far apart are they?
User avatar
may21581
500 Club
Posts: 1168
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: north east ohio
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Weaver.b wrote:
may21581 wrote:I dont think he as far as you think he is. If i were a betting man I would say he is staging not far off the field and waiting till dark to enter. Find the staging area and find the buck in daylight.

20200911_214019.jpg20200911_214227.jpg20200911_214047.jpg
20200911_111037.jpg
20200911_113011.jpg

The blue pin is the camera position On a creek crossing. I set that camera in the beginning of July and did not check it until I slipt in there today in the nasty weather.
I have him coming from bedding to the north and crossing south at night on winds out of the south based on weather history.
In the mornings he crosses from south to north back to bedding primarily on winds out of the west.
The creek crossing is 130 yards from the field to the south.

As you can see the terrain to the north is pretty monotonous to try and pinpoint bedding. From my prior experience hunting this area it is like as soon as you cross the creek and get into that thick marsh grass even the heavy trail at the creek crossing dissipates quick. There are no scrapes or rubs. I was scouting my way in in this spot last year and wasn't seeing sign or heavy trails but started bumping bucks in random cover around trees


What I have noticed and many others on here can testify to is that bucks like features. They like to be on edges, laying under that loan tree in a swamp that keeps them dry, or some other feature that breaks things up. If you see him traveling with certain winds then take this into consideration and look at some topos and aerials. This may or may not help you but it will get you started. Think about what would work best for him. Good luck
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
User avatar
Weaver.b
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Bio1 wrote:Is he in the daylight at the creek crossing? Is the red pin your stand location? If so how far apart are they?


Yes up until the last week of August alot of times he went through in daylight. The red pin is just where I marked that the trail leads to from the creek. From the creek crossing to the field is about 130
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
User avatar
Weaver.b
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:40 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby Weaver.b » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:35 pm

may21581 wrote:
Weaver.b wrote:
may21581 wrote:I dont think he as far as you think he is. If i were a betting man I would say he is staging not far off the field and waiting till dark to enter. Find the staging area and find the buck in daylight.

20200911_214019.jpg20200911_214227.jpg20200911_214047.jpg
20200911_111037.jpg
20200911_113011.jpg

The blue pin is the camera position On a creek crossing. I set that camera in the beginning of July and did not check it until I slipt in there today in the nasty weather.
I have him coming from bedding to the north and crossing south at night on winds out of the south based on weather history.
In the mornings he crosses from south to north back to bedding primarily on winds out of the west.
The creek crossing is 130 yards from the field to the south.

As you can see the terrain to the north is pretty monotonous to try and pinpoint bedding. From my prior experience hunting this area it is like as soon as you cross the creek and get into that thick marsh grass even the heavy trail at the creek crossing dissipates quick. There are no scrapes or rubs. I was scouting my way in in this spot last year and wasn't seeing sign or heavy trails but started bumping bucks in random cover around trees


What I have noticed and many others on here can testify to is that bucks like features. They like to be on edges, laying under that loan tree in a swamp that keeps them dry, or some other feature that breaks things up. If you see him traveling with certain winds then take this into consideration and look at some topos and aerials. This may or may not help you but it will get you started. Think about what would work best for him. Good luck


Thank you hopefully you see him in the killzone thread!
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 5022
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: Moving in on a buck from camera pics

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 am

I cover a scenario on how I used cameras to kill 2 different bucks here in TX. Same principle should work anywhere.

1st buck
https://youtu.be/5GXzOYH3-_8
https://youtu.be/CStbCxTdKb0

2nd buck
https://youtu.be/4pBGIlX0iv4


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”