Washout Setups

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
NorthStar
500 Club
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37
Location: Southern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Washout Setups

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 am

When hunting a washout in hill country that is near buck bedding, how do you like to set up on these spots? How would you approach it in the morning vs. an evening hunt? I almost always find a good trail crossing the washout at about the 2/3 elevation point. Is it better to access from below and set up below that crossing? Or is is better to access from above and hunt above the washout crossing? I am assuming you don't want to walk over the trail and leave sent there but maybe you do and just plan to shoot them before they get there?


"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."
User avatar
PK_
500 Club
Posts: 6475
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 am
Location: Just Off
Status: Offline

Re: Washout Setups

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 am

You are less likely to get winded if you enter and setup below. Assuming it is leeward.

Many times I haven’t been able to enter low so I setup high and draw the bow Early and when he hits the brakes let him have it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
User avatar
NorthStar
500 Club
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37
Location: Southern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Washout Setups

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:44 am

PK_ wrote:You are less likely to get winded if you enter and setup below. Assuming it is leeward.

Many times I haven’t been able to enter low so I setup high and draw the bow Early and when he hits the brakes let him have it.


I was actually hoping you would say this because I would like to do an evening hunt and I know the thermals will start pulling down the hill as it starts to get dark.
"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."
User avatar
PK_
500 Club
Posts: 6475
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 am
Location: Just Off
Status: Offline

Re: Washout Setups

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am

NorthStar wrote:
PK_ wrote:You are less likely to get winded if you enter and setup below. Assuming it is leeward.

Many times I haven’t been able to enter low so I setup high and draw the bow Early and when he hits the brakes let him have it.


I was actually hoping you would say this because I would like to do an evening hunt and I know the thermals will start pulling down the hill as it starts to get dark.

Yea the biggest problem with coming in low for evening is the bucks field of view from his bed.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
User avatar
muddy
Posts: 8486
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 am
Location: Hawkeye State of Mind
Status: Offline

Re: Washout Setups

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:03 am

I have a couple similar set ups, I tend to try and make them all day sets. Getting in very early and staying past dark avoids bumping those deer bedded in the draw/ditch/washout.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
User avatar
NorthStar
500 Club
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37
Location: Southern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: Washout Setups

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:55 am

muddy wrote:I have a couple similar set ups, I tend to try and make them all day sets. Getting in very early and staying past dark avoids bumping those deer bedded in the draw/ditch/washout.


This was my thinking as well. I was thinking this could be a good rut cruising spot because the 2/3s mark on the topo looks like a saw blade! And it a south facing slope so all I need is that north wind!
"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests