Why so serious?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
may21581
500 Club

Re: Why so serious?

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:53 am

Great attitude and way to keep plugging away! There are no guarantees even when you do everything right! When hunting becomes a job and you quit having fun it stinks. It should be about having fun and trying to meet your goals at the same time. Take a look back at your hunting style, how you hunt, where you hunt, and setups. If your not meeting your goals perhaps some minor adjustments may be needed. Alot of times its a few small details that seperate a successful season from a unsuccessful season. Dont be afraid to think outside the box and venture out into uncharted territory trying new things along the way.

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:47 am

Great attitude!

I'm on Beast Season No. 5. Since starting the Beast have taken more and better bucks (still haven't shot a "big" one yet) by better understanding their behaviors and habits - for me it is about knowing where they should be and what wind to hunt them. Hunting is relaxing & fun as opposed to an all-consuming passion.

Enjoy your season and let us know how it goes.
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm

The pressure most guys puts on themselves is disastrous. Pressure breeds doubt and second guessing. Scout, observe, react, hunt. Be confident in what you’re doing and decision making. I think you’re on the right track. If you’re serious beyond the fun part, then taking a step back to have fun is more important!
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:01 pm

I would do some “long game” scouting sessions: evaluate if your girlfriend is wife material. By seeing if it bothers her if you hunt a lot. And making sure her birthday isn’t during the season.
Central Illinois - 6a/5b
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:42 am

Dewey wrote: Every day is a new adventure to add to the memory bank. As you get older they become more and more important because you never know when your last hunt may be. It sure makes you enjoy the simpler things so much more.

So much truth in those words... Last year my dad had his last hunt. It was unexpected! While he wasn't in the best of shape, his health was not so bad that it suggested that he didn't have long to live. On January 28th, none of that mattered because he wasn't here anymore. I'm left with a ton of memories, ones that I will cherish always and most of all, I am left with the memory that because of some of the tactics that I learned on my own, even before joining the beast, I was able to put him on a buck. He had not killed a buck in over 5 years. He enjoyed hearing my stories of hunts and seeing my success even as limited as it was but I knew that he missed tagging a buck. I was able to give him that. Something simple but powerful, memorable. It truly means more to just enjoy things, enjoy the time spent with family, loved ones. Just like those bucks you kill, the memories that you create with them won't be forgotten. It's what is great about hunting stories, they come from a wonderful memory that you have and enjoy sharing...
Head
Csradeerhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/cody.blackmon.5?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Csradeerhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Im already finding myself getting a little stressed out after the first weekend of season . but I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and move forward . to relate hunting to fishing , Gerald swindle a very good pro bass fisherman said he use to get fighting mad when things didnt go right on the water . he found that PMA positive mental attitude on and off the water changed his life around . you have to find the positives in every situation because hunting is failure after failure if that's what you wish to call it . thats why its called hunting and not killing . we just need ONE day ONE moment to go right to put our arrow threw our buck . and when that happens all those failures won't even matter. So go out and enjoy every bit of it because tomarow might be our last hunt .
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't see as being serious, I see it as a passion. You let me get away from everything. After about 2 days away from hustle of life. It feels very relaxing. Its almost a total reboot for me.

If I could just throw cell phone in river, it would be nice. Guess, I could turn it off!?
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Right on! Great post! Have fun and make some great family memories!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:45 pm

HeadHunting wrote:
Dewey wrote: Every day is a new adventure to add to the memory bank. As you get older they become more and more important because you never know when your last hunt may be. It sure makes you enjoy the simpler things so much more.

So much truth in those words... Last year my dad had his last hunt. It was unexpected! While he wasn't in the best of shape, his health was not so bad that it suggested that he didn't have long to live. On January 28th, none of that mattered because he wasn't here anymore. I'm left with a ton of memories, ones that I will cherish always and most of all, I am left with the memory that because of some of the tactics that I learned on my own, even before joining the beast, I was able to put him on a buck. He had not killed a buck in over 5 years. He enjoyed hearing my stories of hunts and seeing my success even as limited as it was but I knew that he missed tagging a buck. I was able to give him that. Something simple but powerful, memorable. It truly means more to just enjoy things, enjoy the time spent with family, loved ones. Just like those bucks you kill, the memories that you create with them won't be forgotten. It's what is great about hunting stories, they come from a wonderful memory that you have and enjoy sharing...

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad at 69 years old in Jan 2014 and the hunting bond we shared sounds exactly like you and your dad. My happiest memory is my dads last buck he killed. His excitement made me feel so good. Way better than any buck I ever killed. It was at a point where he was seriously thinking about giving up hunting and that kill lit a fire in him that lasted for a good number of years after. In his later years he only gun hunted but loved living bowhunting thru me from my stories. Nothing I miss more than calling dad and excited about a buck I saw and hearing the excitement in his voice eager to here more. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t sit on stand and think about all our hunting memories. Memories are what it’s all about. Nobody can take those away from us.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Remember that the end result of a deer on the ground is only a sliver of the whole story. Like any business the end result is what you see, but all the prep work and details put together before the product got to you is where the money was made. When you finally get that deer your after that’s what everyone will see. No one sees all the sits you went through before seeing no deer, all the scouting, all the practice. That’s what makes dans journal so great, you can follow along and see all the failures that lead up to the hopefully bright ending.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:25 pm

Dewey wrote:
HeadHunting wrote:

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad at 69 years old in Jan 2014 and the hunting bond we shared sounds exactly like you and your dad. My happiest memory is my dads last buck he killed. His excitement made me feel so good. Way better than any buck I ever killed. It was at a point where he was seriously thinking about giving up hunting and that kill lit a fire in him that lasted for a good number of years after. In his later years he only gun hunted but loved living bowhunting thru me from my stories. Nothing I miss more than calling dad and excited about a buck I saw and hearing the excitement in his voice eager to here more. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t sit on stand and think about all our hunting memories. Memories are what it’s all about. Nobody can take those away from us.

They sure can't. Thank you for your condolences and also for sharing your story Dewey. Memories are something else, they can elicit a full range of emotions from happieness to sadness and all around. My father and I's bond does sound a lot like the one you shared with yours. We would talk everyday during hunting season to share stories, tactics and the hunting camp drama, ha. Whether I was there or just talking to him on the phone it is certainly what I will miss most about him and the most from this hunting season, not being able to share those things with him.

I know it has been some time but I am sorry to hear that this is something that we have to share, in that you have lost your father as well. I am glad that he was able to kill a buck and that he decided to stick with hunting and gave you both opportunities at creating more memories. As you said it, nobody can take those away from us!
Head

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”