Anyone hunt SD Black Hills?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Treejunkie

Anyone hunt SD Black Hills?

Unread postby Treejunkie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:00 am

Not looking for areas or your honey holes. Going towards end of October and have hunted Wyoming many times for mulies. Anyone have any hunting suggestions as stalking or sitting??

hoofdoctor97

Re: Anyone hunt SD Black Hills?

Unread postby hoofdoctor97 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:44 am

Are you thinking about chasing Whitey's or mules?
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:37 pm

If it helps you we were there two weeks ago. Saw lots of whitetails in the early evenings, incl many huge racks. Lots of mule deer too but smaller. Based only on what I saw when hiking it would seem scouting and choosing stand sites based on sign would pay off, much like anywhere else. Transitions in the hills, and the wet bottoms, were both full of sign. I am ignoring pressure - never been there during season - but I would have to guess its heavy given the deer are concentrated. Best of luck. Post your stories.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:29 pm

I hunted there 10 years ago the last week of October, I only saw 1 other bowhunter. There were several people driving around drinking beer and road hunting.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Pudster wrote:I hunted there 10 years ago the last week of October, I only saw 1 other bowhunter. There were several people driving around drinking beer and road hunting.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m not referring to the SD beasts but road hunting is a SD tradition. That and complaining about non residents :shifty:

I’ve never hunted the hills but I’m putting in for rifle points. Will probably be another 7-8 years before I draw.

I do think the hills get hunted pretty hard opening of rifle.
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:34 am

About 95% sure going to the Black Hills area now since going with a friend. After looking at the harvest data, seems like a good area to go not to mention there are plenty of campgrounds to choose from. I have killed many mulies in Wyoming
but my friend hasn't killed one. Even though the BH are more known for whitetails we are still going there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”