Anyone fired up about deer season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
NYBackcountry
500 Club
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 am
Location: Upstate NY
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:56 pm

How are the Kentucky guys making out?


User avatar
Ghost Hunter
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am
Location: South Arkansas
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:12 pm

I have shot past 2 of 3 days. I ready, really be ready by end of September opener.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Tennhunter3
500 Club
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Medon Tn
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:20 pm

NYBackcountry wrote:How are the Kentucky guys making out?


Alot of pressure.
Every parking area by me has been full.
3-7 trucks however many the spot can hold.

Found several cams over a mile back from parking areas. Even deep in theirs hunter sign and pressure.

Walked up on 3 guys in treestands so far.

Finding places to sleep has been rough most camping areas are closed due to virus. Camping isn't allowed on the wmas. And the ones with normal pay campsites are closed.

Hotels are too pricy for 6 hours of sleep. I refuse to pay more a hour to sleep then I make a hour working. Just has never made sense to me that it cost more to sleep a night then a man makes a day working. If I was rich I still wouldn't pay that much too sleep.


I slept the last 4 nights at a pilot truck stop northeast of Louisville. It's not that bad.
Pilot, Loves ,Flying J all Free. Been hunting Kentucky River Wma and a few wmas east of kentucky River.

I'll be turning my suv into a bed soon.
Plywood and a memory foam mattress.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
User avatar
john1984
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:How are the Kentucky guys making out?


Alot of pressure.
Every parking area by me has been full.
3-7 trucks however many the spot can hold.

Found several cams over a mile back from parking areas. Even deep in theirs hunter sign and pressure.

Walked up on 3 guys in treestands so far.

Finding places to sleep has been rough most camping areas are closed due to virus. Camping isn't allowed on the wmas. And the ones with normal pay campsites are closed.

Hotels are too pricy for 6 hours of sleep. I refuse to pay more a hour to sleep then I make a hour working. Just has never made sense to me that it cost more to sleep a night then a man makes a day working. If I was rich I still wouldn't pay that much too sleep.


I slept the last 4 nights at a pilot truck stop northeast of Louisville. It's not that bad.
Pilot, Loves ,Flying J all Free. Been hunting Kentucky River Wma and a few wmas east of kentucky River.

I'll be turning my suv into a bed soon.
Plywood and a memory foam mattress.


Tenn3 you should drive up to WI this weekend. 80$ for your first time .
Tennhunter3
500 Club
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Medon Tn
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:09 pm

john1984 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:How are the Kentucky guys making out?


Alot of pressure.
Every parking area by me has been full.
3-7 trucks however many the spot can hold.

Found several cams over a mile back from parking areas. Even deep in theirs hunter sign and pressure.

Walked up on 3 guys in treestands so far.

Finding places to sleep has been rough most camping areas are closed due to virus. Camping isn't allowed on the wmas. And the ones with normal pay campsites are closed.

Hotels are too pricy for 6 hours of sleep. I refuse to pay more a hour to sleep then I make a hour working. Just has never made sense to me that it cost more to sleep a night then a man makes a day working. If I was rich I still wouldn't pay that much too sleep.


I slept the last 4 nights at a pilot truck stop northeast of Louisville. It's not that bad.
Pilot, Loves ,Flying J all Free. Been hunting Kentucky River Wma and a few wmas east of kentucky River.

I'll be turning my suv into a bed soon.
Plywood and a memory foam mattress.


Tenn3 you should drive up to WI this weekend. 80$ for your first time .



I hunted Wisconsin for a week in 2018 so I used the first time tag already. Looks like some great chilly weather for hunting though.

Spent a left leg and a kidney on a KY tag definitely want to hunt it some before my TN season starts the 28th.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bowmanmike
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 am
Location: Central NY
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Bowmanmike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:19 am

Fired up is an understatement. I am not sure how i will make it until Oct. 1st for the opener here.
I got my platform set up in the backyard and am shooting from the saddle every day. My broadheads are flying true. I will do some more glassing and practice climbing quietly some more.
I havent been this excited in several years. Look out deer!
User avatar
NYBackcountry
500 Club
Posts: 918
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 am
Location: Upstate NY
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:How are the Kentucky guys making out?


Alot of pressure.
Every parking area by me has been full.
3-7 trucks however many the spot can hold.

Found several cams over a mile back from parking areas. Even deep in theirs hunter sign and pressure.

Walked up on 3 guys in treestands so far.

Finding places to sleep has been rough most camping areas are closed due to virus. Camping isn't allowed on the wmas. And the ones with normal pay campsites are closed.

Hotels are too pricy for 6 hours of sleep. I refuse to pay more a hour to sleep then I make a hour working. Just has never made sense to me that it cost more to sleep a night then a man makes a day working. If I was rich I still wouldn't pay that much too sleep.


I slept the last 4 nights at a pilot truck stop northeast of Louisville. It's not that bad.
Pilot, Loves ,Flying J all Free. Been hunting Kentucky River Wma and a few wmas east of kentucky River.

I'll be turning my suv into a bed soon.
Plywood and a memory foam mattress.


Sounds like the overlooked spots are going to be key. Thanks for the update.
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:03 am

Any updates Ten hunter? Season starts here in GA this Saturday. Been trying not to think about it for weeks but now just a few more days.

I'm already losing sleep and hope I can get any at all this Friday night!
Rich M
500 Club
Posts: 3164
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Sunny Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 am

Hunting starts this weekend for me. Getting excited.
Tennhunter3
500 Club
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Medon Tn
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:44 am

HunterBob wrote:Any updates Ten hunter? Season starts here in GA this Saturday. Been trying not to think about it for weeks but now just a few more days.

I'm already losing sleep and hope I can get any at all this Friday night!



I drove back to west KY quite a bit of pressure on Obion Creek Wma I saw 9 vehicles their. . Drove home to Jackson last night got a good night's sleep and washed all my clothes. Will be heading back to KY in a day or two catching up on work today.

Getting a hot shower and the thorns out of my foot was a help.
36x 74. Bought a sheet of plywood and cut to fit last night then ordered exact size twin mattress I could fit from Mattress Firm.

20200908_085359.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Medon Tn
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 am

I left a spot hollow for my bow and gear.

I made plywood so I can put out and in with less then a minute if I need to quickly remove it.

20200908_085421.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Medon Tn
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:00 am

saddle and clothes put in passenger seat.
20200908_085429.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
User avatar
HunterBob
500 Club
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Location: Georgia
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:09 am

Nice! Sure beats staying in a seedy motel and maybe even staying in a tent! Would be pretty cool to wake up, put on saddle, and head into the woods!
Tennhunter3
500 Club
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Medon Tn
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:11 am

HunterBob wrote:Any updates Ten hunter? Season starts here in GA this Saturday. Been trying not to think about it for weeks but now just a few more days.

I'm already losing sleep and hope I can get any at all this Friday night!


I saw 3 does and passed in a basket 6 point in east ky. Kicked up im pretty sure was a bigger buck but I never got a good look at him.

Jet sled ill have to take out each night or strap it to the roof.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
User avatar
MuskieHunterDave
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:58 pm
Facebook: can suck it.
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone fired up about deer season?

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:32 am

I'm super excited, season starts for me this Saturday. A bit nervous about pressure based on earlier reports in this thread. Did a practice run on setting up in a tree this weekend and taking a few shots out of it. Got all my gear packed with my stand this year so no additional backpack to carry. Going to be super nice, but man the stand is heavy on my back. Weather is looking awesome this weekend, cool and maybe some rain on Saturday, which would be great.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Hawthorne, Micah, seazofcheeze, thwack16, tn-bear and 11 guests