Morning buck before peak rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Huntress13
500 Club

Morning buck before peak rut

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:56 pm

Going back a couple of years, I was hunting what I thought was an awesome spot based on map and it had a heavy trail with a lot of sign, going in to an ag field. But it was sort of an overlooked spot because of other human activity close by. I did see deer there the few times I hunted it, but not until last light usually.

Anyway, I hunted it a morning and I need to go back into my old phone and try to find the date and time, I think it was pre-rut. (Need to journal better). I did a little calling, and I saw a buck probably a good 2 year old messing around chasing a fox. Now with what I have learned about them usually not moving too far out of a bedding area in the morning unless they have to, outside of rut, I'm wondering if he wasn't bedded right in there and the fox harrassed him out of bed. It was sort of a brushy nob. I didn’t hunt that spot again because it was annoying dealing with said human activity, but might be worth going back there to see if my hindsight is correct.

I assume that if he's still around, now being more mature, he'd have his pick of beds and may be in a more premium spot? Anyway, I was thinking about hunting that general area again, but a little farther from the humans, and then remembered that encounter...

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Morning buck before peak rut

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Adding a pic. Red was my stand location and blue was the brushy nob where the buck came out of.
20200828_074458.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”