Hunting large bedding areas.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
20koehn01

Hunting large bedding areas.

Unread postby 20koehn01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:13 am

My brother and I were scouting a piece of public land yesterday and came upon a large area continuous brushy low land 300 yards wide or so and 600 yards long. And judging by the large and high rubs there is definitely a good one in there. My question: How do you hunt large blocks of potential bedding? Its all low land, but its mostly dry so they potentially bed anywhere they want. Do we sit on the edge of the bedding area? Also how do we get close to the buck and not bust everything in the area? Seems to be lots of does and subordinate bucks in same general area. We don't know where the big ones bed is specifically, just couldn't seem to find it. But it seemed like we were close...

20koehn01

Re: Hunting large bedding areas.

Unread postby 20koehn01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:17 am

I do understand that's not big to some people. But for us we usually are hunting private and the bedding is less then 2 acres
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 am

I found a spot last winter that is similar to what you are describing only it has hills on one side and a river on the other.
I found the best bedding sign in the area but couldn’t figure out how to slip in in the afternoon without blowing it out.
I am planning on hunting it in the morning sometime in the later part of October by slipping in along the river and setting up to be able to shoot into the edge of the bedding.

If I were in your situation I would try to figure out how you can approach without blowing it out and then hunt as aggressively as you think you can get away with.

Don’t rule out a ground hunt.
Csradeerhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/cody.blackmon.5?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Csradeerhunter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:41 pm

If it's all short brush your gonna have to hunt the edges . i hunt alot of large thick areas here in georgia . short pines and clear cut type stuff . alot of it is so thick you can't hardly walk thru it . if you think no one is hunting it I would first find the best edge spot to hunt . the spot where you think they are coming in and going out . i would just throw some hunts at it and see what happens without over hunting it . in the mornings hunting it with just an off wind to where you dont get busted with the wind blowing out of the thick in to the big woods can be good catching them coming back in to bed . should produce some good action during the rut .
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Find the specific beds and figure out when and how to hunt them.

In big brushy stuff, I find them sorta like marsh bedding. Under a lone tree...on the edge of clusters of trees. On the edges or points of big bush patches inside. On the edges.

At this point, I wouldn't be heating brush looking for the bedding. Find the trails where they meet the woods and when trails are looking hot in the season, hunt them.
20koehn01

Unread postby 20koehn01 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replys! This might be a good spot to try kayaking a small stream that runs on the backside, if nothing else but to get away from human pressure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”