Got drawn for managed hunt! how would you approach this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Brad
Facebook: Bradley Livingston

Got drawn for managed hunt! how would you approach this?

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:18 pm

I was drawn for a managed hunt on an wildlife area near me. It will run from Sept 15th to Sept 27th. It is almost 7000 acres, but there are 150 hunters drawn for this particular hunt. I have e-scouted the heck out of it, and have spent a good amount of time with boots on the ground trying to find sign and get a good understanding of the terrain. Basically it is a mix of rolling hills and fields, with quite a bit of crop fields including beans in one area (at least 40 acres on 5 bean fields) and corn in another area, and a bunch of tall grass fields as well. There are a bunch of lakes that are pretty heavily utilized for fishing, and there is quite a bit of traffic on the roads that go through. There is also a good sized creek that runs across the top, with about 500 acres of land north of the creek that I assume will get a little less pressured since there are no roads, access trails, or crops. I have spotted several really nice bucks, but they have mostly been in the fields right by the main entrance, and I know everyone else has seen them too. The habitat is great for deer all around, and it is full of them. I have found quite a few travel trails, also a few rubs, and some beds that don't stand out as being mature buck beds. I plan to maybe do a little more boots scouting, but I don't want to be in there 2-3 weeks before opening day.

Yes, I've watched all of Dan's DVD's and youtube videos multiple times, and I do see stuff on the maps that look like it fits the descriptions, but at this point when I've been in there I haven't found any bedding area that I can say is holding a buck to hunt, and nothing that tells me "this is where a nice buck will likely be". Should I just pick a spot to try and scout my way in? If so, what would make you think a certain spot would be a good spot to set up? How would you handle this situation?

Quest1001

Re: Got drawn for managed hunt! how would you approach this?

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:43 pm

The managed hunts I’m familiar with assign hunters to certain areas, is this the situation for III as well?

That will change how you approach the hunt.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:45 pm

Those are the only kinds of hunts I can do down here in FL - no place to "just hunt" need permits for short 3-5 day hunts.

Sounds like you can do some observation sits as the season gets closer. It is up to you how badly you want it - basically you'd be hunting without a weapon to see where the deer travel.

Folks will gravitate to the easy pickings - the fields will be covered in guys, get back off them and you should have less competition.

Find the bedding!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:59 pm

I’m not telling you anything you don’t know....but if there’s water, cross it, if it’s “too hot”, “too cold”, “too windy”, “too wet”...hunt anyway. If you need even a small amount of brain power to figure some sign out.... This alone will separate you from the majority of the 150 other guys.
So....use your head and work hard. This should give you opportunities and that all you can ask for imo.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:33 pm

In busy public places, the line for acceptable human disturbance and unacceptable safe zone disturbance will often be the key.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 am

Quest1001 wrote:The managed hunts I’m familiar with assign hunters to certain areas, is this the situation for III as well?

That will change how you approach the hunt.

I have not heard anything about being assigned certain areas, and I do not believe this is the case. Pretty much free to hunt where you please, but with normal fishing and recreational traffic, plus 150 other hunters in the woods, it could be interesting.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:51 am

Rich M wrote:Those are the only kinds of hunts I can do down here in FL - no place to "just hunt" need permits for short 3-5 day hunts.

Sounds like you can do some observation sits as the season gets closer. It is up to you how badly you want it - basically you'd be hunting without a weapon to see where the deer travel.

Folks will gravitate to the easy pickings - the fields will be covered in guys, get back off them and you should have less competition.

Find the bedding!

That is my plan. I am trying to get any boots on the ground scouting out of the way within the next week or so so I can stay out of the woods for the 3 weeks leading up to opening day. If I had a better knowledge of the spots I want to check out I would be staying out now. I will be trying to glass a few specific fields. I have seen a bunch of great deer in some fields, however they are in very difficult to hunt fields, and in areas that every person that drives in or out can see them.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:57 am

matt1336 wrote:I’m not telling you anything you don’t know....but if there’s water, cross it, if it’s “too hot”, “too cold”, “too windy”, “too wet”...hunt anyway. If you need even a small amount of brain power to figure some sign out.... This alone will separate you from the majority of the 150 other guys.
So....use your head and work hard. This should give you opportunities and that all you can ask for imo.

yea, I've thought of that. There are some really nice bucks going in to the fields now, so if they are still doing so in the week or days leading up to opening day I'll probably try to find some spots near those fields for the first few days. If that isn't working or if there are too many other hunters near me I'll probably start heading farther away and likely across the creek where I suspect there will be less hunters. Unfortunately I haven't been any further back than walking the north edge of the creek, so if I can't get back there soon I would have to rely completely on scouting my way in as I hunt.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 am

Brad wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I’m not telling you anything you don’t know....but if there’s water, cross it, if it’s “too hot”, “too cold”, “too windy”, “too wet”...hunt anyway. If you need even a small amount of brain power to figure some sign out.... This alone will separate you from the majority of the 150 other guys.

yea, I've thought of that. There are some really nice bucks going in to the fields now, so if they are still doing so in the week or days leading up to opening day I'll probably try to find some spots near those fields for the first few days. If that isn't working or if there are too many other hunters near me I'll probably start heading farther away and likely across the creek where I suspect there will be less hunters. Unfortunately I haven't been any further back than walking the north edge of the creek, so if I can't get back there soon I would have to rely completely on scouting my way in as I hunt.

There’s nothing wrong with scouting your way in. The deer will be where the hunters aren’t. Safety trumps pretty much anything
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:31 am

matt1336 wrote:
Brad wrote:

There’s nothing wrong with scouting your way in. The deer will be where the hunters aren’t. Safety trumps pretty much anything

I plan to hunt the entrances to some of the fields that are further back, 2-3 fields back from the ones that can can be glassed from the roads or parking lots. From there I'll start heading across the creek unless I fill my tags early. I am not very experienced at scouting my way in and am not really sure how to go about it. When scouting your way in, what is a good procedure or thought process?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Basically sneak into areas where you think the deer will be going and stop once you find hot sign and big tracks.

Check out the public land challenge videos for the first event. I got so much out of it, you may too.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Rich M wrote:Basically sneak into areas where you think the deer will be going and stop once you find hot sign and big tracks.

Check out the public land challenge videos for the first event. I got so much out of it, you may too.

are you referring to the hunting public youtube videos? any videos in particular?
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Is this the first time the area has been hunted or do these deer get hunted every year in the same time period? It sounds like they are pretty accustomed to people being around from your description. To me that might make it a little harder to figure out. If they are used to just going around the people they may not immediately head for the roughest terrain.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:54 pm

Sept 15th to Sept 27...

Id expect most guys to be keying in on the beans, and most bachelor groups to be staging in white oaks on there way to beans at night. Spend the 1st day or 2 scouting until you find rubs, dropping acorns, and bump some deer. In my experience, away from the fields, rubs in early September gets you really close their bedding.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Brad wrote:
Rich M wrote:Basically sneak into areas where you think the deer will be going and stop once you find hot sign and big tracks.

are you referring to the hunting public youtube videos? any videos in particular?

I don;t know where they are - probably on the Hunting Beast you tube channel. The first public land challenge Dan and Joe went, Joe got a nice one hunting beast style.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”