Hill country thermal question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Hill country thermal question.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:51 am

If I'm hunting a Rising thermal and the buck is bedded up by the road at the Green square.

Say my setup is red circle.
Will my thermal rise to the Green circle area and the scent hang their. Which is what I have believed up until now.

Or will it go to the green circle then flow to the green square?

Dan mentions thermals alot and I saw on a podcast that. He showed how thermals fell and moved but he never showed how they rise in detail.

Not worried about cordinents I dont hunt this spot.
Screenshot_20200819-184552_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
backstraps

Re: Hill country thermal question.

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:04 pm

Which way is the wind blowing in your hypothetical map? Is your setup windward or leeward?

I think if the wind is calm, light and variable, the thermals will rise, following the slight draw to the right of your circle

Foliage may play a factor or lack of, rock outcrops may change the direction some too... there are a few variables.

In most cases you almost have to be on a straight side of a ridge to get the thermals to rise straight up (no cuts ditches etc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:15 pm

That's a good question. I don't know the answer. I will say when I hunt an area similar, predominant winds seem to overpower mid day thermals. When the thermal switch takes place in the morning my scent just goes up or drifts with wind direction. What intrigues me about your situation is the valley. That may do something. I haven't floated milkweed yet in a morning situation that gives me the answer.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:59 pm

backstraps wrote:Which way is the wind blowing in your hypothetical map? Is your setup windward or leeward?

I think if the wind is calm, light and variable, the thermals will rise, following the slight draw to the right of your circle

Foliage may play a factor or lack of, rock outcrops may change the direction some too... there are a few variables.

In most cases you almost have to be on a straight side of a ridge to get the thermals to rise straight up (no cuts ditches etc)

In this situation wind would be blowing from the southeast to northwest. I have a setup similar to this with a buck bedding near a road and trying to figure out what the thermal may do.

I was figuring if I setup with a flat shelf above me my thermal might hold in one spot. Then if I setup closer to the buck and it may catch that other rise going to the buck.

I don't understand how a thermal may react if it hits a even slope at the top. And if I get far enough down would it not pull back up to the road.

Assuming their is no draw to pull the thermal one way or another?

If I get in clean I'm just not wanting my thermal to go the buck of I setup say 3 hours before dark. I expect kill at thermal fall. But I don't want to alert him if I go in on a rise.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
backstraps wrote:Which way is the wind blowing in your hypothetical map? Is your setup windward or leeward?

In this situation wind would be blowing from the southeast to northwest. I have a setup similar to this with a buck bedding near a road and trying to figure out what the thermal may do.

I was figuring if I setup with a flat shelf above me my thermal might hold in one spot. Then if I setup closer to the buck and it may catch that other rise going to the buck.

I don't understand how a thermal may react if it hits a even slope at the top. And if I get far enough down would it not pull back up to the road.

With that wind direction, I would feel confident once your thermals got up the hill enough, the wind will catch your scent and blow it to the west of the green circle.
Now had you been on the leeward side, I think the thermals may have risen towards the slight draw.

Interesting scenario to give thought to though. Interested in what Brancher, Dan and other hill country hunters would suspect too
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:20 pm

Let's take this image a flat slope ontop with no rise.not hunting here either it's just example.

Buck bed would be red.
Setup pink.
My wind blowing west to east just pass the buck.
How is a rising thermal going to react hitting a flat top that goes for like this several hundred yards.

Sorry to bring this kind of thing up it is something I have yet to fully understand.

Screenshot_20200819-201709_Painter.jpg
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:42 pm

How much in elevation can a thermal rise before wind overpowers it assuming it is a windy day?

Dan could do a entire video on just thermal behavior.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:43 pm

I think in the first example the biggest issue could be swirling winds. Your thermal should rise and blow with the wind but hunting a north slope point in a big bowl like that on a SE wind could be tough. A stronger wind may be more consistent.

The second example I would expect your scent to rise and follow the wind on a sunny day once the thermals rise. It should continue to rise higher on a flat top like that especially once the thermals start rising from both sides of the ridge. But again the north slope and wind speed are two variables that can change things.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:52 pm

brancher147 wrote:I think in the first example the biggest issue could be swirling winds. Your thermal should rise and blow with the wind but hunting a north slope point in a big bowl like that on a SE wind could be tough. A stronger wind may be more consistent.

The second example I would expect your scent to rise and follow the wind on a sunny day once the thermals rise. It should continue to rise higher on a flat top like that especially once the thermals start rising from both sides of the ridge. But again the north slope and wind speed are two variables that can change things.

Thank you interesting.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Rising thermals don’t follow topography as dramatically as falling thermals.

They rise above the canopy and then are pretty much taken with the wind... The wind is strongly influenced by the topography... It is a can of worms...

The first scenario with se wind, your scent will blow around that point into the bowl and either suck back up the point, the next ditch or the one after, with thermal.

Little or no wind it will do exactly what backstraps said.

Edit: deleted some. Misread what you had lol.
Last edited by PK_ on Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Let's take this image a flat slope ontop with no rise.not hunting here either it's just example.

Buck bed would be red.
Setup pink.
My wind blowing west to east just pass the buck.
How is a rising thermal going to react hitting a flat top that goes for like this several hundred yards.

Sorry to bring this kind of thing up it is something I have yet to fully understand.

Screenshot_20200819-201709_Painter.jpg

I think this example...your scent will still carry in the direction of your blue arrows if the wind is over powering the thermals
Now if it a blue bird day and the thermals are strong , your scent could actually rise in elevation as it moves... or if the wind isnt strong and the thermals are, your scent could rise straight up from your location with slight direction with the wind
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:13 pm

This is a failed example I had 2 years ago.
I had a shooter buck come up in the Am and get to the green square he froze and left.

I came in from the south directly up the slope and setup where the treestand symbol is. . It was very early probably 7.30 am when he was at green square he was slightly about 60 yards south of that bed smelling it. He followed the red trail into the green square.
Screenshot_20200819-210846_Painter.jpg

I don't think rise had kicked in yet.
I came very close to killing this buck.

I realize now I shouldve setup about 35 yards west of where I did. Theres a opening their and I remembered Dan mentioning wind swirling in openings. Knew I was cutting it close.
Where he came from southeast of me I'm not exactly sure.

Possible to hunt this on a rising thermal?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks guys alot of good information.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”