Take a boy hunting, bring back a man...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Every time someone refers to hunting as a hobby or sport I cringe. Maybe it is in the minds of some. But their are a lot of us out there, perhaps staring out a window lost in thought at a woodlot from an office building, or sneaking out early to scout deer as we count down the days, that look at it as a life style, not a "hobby"...
Did you ever read a story about a robber, gang banger, or killer, look at his mug shot and wonder how many deer that guy shot? Yea... Me neither. You know why? Cause hunters dont do those types of things. Hunters, real hunters, are the best people on earth. They are doing what God intended them to do. We were not intended to do our hunting at the grocery store.
People who grow up catching, and cleaning fish, hunting and killing their food, and growing there own vegetables, cant help but become closer to God. The channel you view from a treestand silently watching nature wake with the sunrise shows you how every creature, every plant, every bug, the water, the air, everything was created perfectly and works in unison. It teaches them to respect life. It teaches them that if you work hard, really hard, you can achieve your goals. It teaches you that there are no guarantees, and it teaches you that you can survive and function on your own. A friend who spent time in battle protecting this country told me in a conversation in which I had mistakenly called him an "Ex-marine" "Once a Marine, always a Marine"... The same can be said about a hunter. If you grow up with a father or mother that cares enough to drag you out in the woods and turn off your phone when your a kid, whether you head into the woods or not later in life, your still a hunter, and I will never be reading about you rioting in the streets...
normal_img075.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moose
500 Club

Re: Take a boy hunting, bring back a man...

Unread postby Moose » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:17 am

This is so true! :P
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:25 am

Agreed. Good post, Dan.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:00 am

I dont think hunting makes someone a better person necessarily. I know "hunters" who have no respect for people or animals. However, I do think people who are serious about hunting tend to have more respect for others because of the patience and perseverance it takes to pursue the passion. It seems like if someone is willing to sit in negative weather for hours on end, they are willing to treat the animal they are pursuing with respect. This also translates to the real world where I feel like that patience can come in handy when dealing with a shitty person or situation. For me, life comes easier when I compare the situation Im in with the countless days in the stand grinding it out in weather and being uncomfortable. Oddly enough, Id rather be out there on the grind than doing something simpler.

Good post overall Dan. Hunters can get a bad rep but they also learn and teach a lot of things that most people wouldnt understand.
druski
Facebook: no on facbook

Unread postby druski » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Great stuff and well said Dan.
As my grandfather used to say, who is a Marine veteran of WII battle of Iwo Jima "There are two types of Marines, the living and the dead."
He'd say this with a big sh*t eating grin during "wine time" on his porch which involved a peanut butter cookie and one shot of Canadian Club on the rocks lol. One shot one cookie never more at 80+ years old-now that ice water in your veins focused discipline.
Also a deer hunter-of course.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:40 pm

I begged my dad to let me start bowhunting at age 13. Spurred on by his "up north" hunting stories. Once he picked a "spot" for my old rusty bucket. Id head out after school and on weekends by myself to "hunt". It was many deerless hours spent. But when I finally had a group does in range. Despite no shot opportunity. I was hooked. Had never been so excited. Yes hunting taught me alot about life. And taught me to appreciate wild places and the plants, birds and animals that live in them. And so much more!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Oh yeah and I grew up with a land line. That was also a party line. Talking on the phone was th last thing I wanted to do.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”