Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
User avatar
Perfectionitz
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:53 am
Location: Bridgewater, MA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:37 pm

I’m out in a tidal marsh in Massachusetts sitting on the ground in my ghillie behind a small bish for cover. Hunting a land bridge that leads out to a small island with great cover, no human use, oaks and bedding. Took my kayak out here during high tide around 3:30 am.... just waiting now...


I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9403
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 am

Perfectionitz wrote:I’m out in a tidal marsh in Massachusetts sitting on the ground in my ghillie behind a small bish for cover. Hunting a land bridge that leads out to a small island with great cover, no human use, oaks and bedding. Took my kayak out here during high tide around 3:30 am.... just waiting now...

That's a heckuva effort.

Good luck!
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
User avatar
DhD
500 Club
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:53 pm
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby DhD » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:28 am

Hung a new camera a couple days ago leaving freshly cut corn heading to bedding. Got five bucks on camera in 24 hours, two in daylight Decided to watch the travel corridor from the other side this morning, but the wind is swirling and pushing my scent right into the path I expect the deer to be using. In previous years I would have sat it out, but I don't want to muck up this spot, so I'm going to move and come back on a better wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
User avatar
DhD
500 Club
Posts: 888
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:53 pm
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby DhD » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:36 am

DhD wrote:Hung a new camera a couple days ago leaving freshly cut corn heading to bedding. Got five bucks on camera in 24 hours, two in daylight Decided to watch the travel corridor from the other side this morning, but the wind is swirling and pushing my scent right into the path I expect the deer to be using. In previous years I would have sat it out, but I don't want to muck up this spot, so I'm going to move and come back on a better wind.


Side note, that may be one of the first times I have observed a really obvious thermal tunnel, since I learned what that was. On the road the wind is blowing 20 mph South, but in the draw my milkweed was pulling across to the north west. Going to have to study my thermals. I guess that's why they are using it.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
User avatar
Perfectionitz
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:53 am
Location: Bridgewater, MA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:02 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Perfectionitz wrote:I’m out in a tidal marsh in Massachusetts sitting on the ground in my ghillie behind a small bish for cover. Hunting a land bridge that leads out to a small island with great cover, no human use, oaks and bedding. Took my kayak out here during high tide around 3:30 am.... just waiting now...

That's a heckuva effort.

Good luck!


Good adventure, found some really good buck bedding but the deer were feeding further out in the marsh on a bigger island that is owned by the audobon society and you can’t hunt it. Had to drag my kayak out for about half a mile before I got to a spot where there was enough water to paddle. Dealing with the tide is tough!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9403
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 am

Perfectionitz wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Perfectionitz wrote:I’m out in a tidal marsh in Massachusetts sitting on the ground in my ghillie behind a small bish for cover. Hunting a land bridge that leads out to a small island with great cover, no human use, oaks and bedding. Took my kayak out here during high tide around 3:30 am.... just waiting now...

That's a heckuva effort.

Good luck!


Good adventure, found some really good buck bedding but the deer were feeding further out in the marsh on a bigger island that is owned by the audobon society and you can’t hunt it. Had to drag my kayak out for about half a mile before I got to a spot where there was enough water to paddle. Dealing with the tide is tough!

Yeah, I bet. Smells nice too . :D

Do you need to use those mud-walking boots that splay out? I forgot what they’re called.
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
Rich M
500 Club
Posts: 3065
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Sunny Florida
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:07 am

DhD wrote:
DhD wrote:Hung a new camera a couple days ago leaving freshly cut corn heading to bedding. Got five bucks on camera in 24 hours, two in daylight Decided to watch the travel corridor from the other side this morning, but the wind is swirling and pushing my scent right into the path I expect the deer to be using. In previous years I would have sat it out, but I don't want to muck up this spot, so I'm going to move and come back on a better wind.


Side note, that may be one of the first times I have observed a really obvious thermal tunnel, since I learned what that was. On the road the wind is blowing 20 mph South, but in the draw my milkweed was pulling across to the north west. Going to have to study my thermals. I guess that's why they are using it.


I've noticed the same thing - that's why they use the same areas generation after generation.

The spots I've seen have had a slight dip and pulled air from 3 diff directions at once. Hard to hunt those for sure.

Hope you figure it out.
PaPublicLandHunter
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:19 am

Congratulations to all the killers :clap:

Opening day for Pa was Saturday. Saturday evening I tried to get near some bedding on a point but with almost no wind I was busting deer out before I got to my destination. I sat it anyway and had deer moving in the bedding around dark and had a few doe come out a filter by me. Not a great opener but the season is finally here!
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9403
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:57 am

PaPublicLandHunter wrote:Congratulations to all the killers :clap:

Opening day for Pa was Saturday. Saturday evening I tried to get near some bedding on a point but with almost no wind I was busting deer out before I got to my destination. I sat it anyway and had deer moving in the bedding around dark and had a few doe come out a filter by me. Not a great opener but the season is finally here!

Shaking off the rust. ;)
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
User avatar
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am
Location: upper MI
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:47 am

2nd hunt of the yr. easy peasy spot. 45 yds off the road. Wind is ripping pretty good but seems favorable. I did a brief scout here in early sept. Didn’t look like much of anything was going on but I hung a camera and got the best two bucks I have seen on cam, shining or anything around here this yr. I let the cam set two weeks and pulled it so hopefully things haven’t changed too much. I didn’t really look for acorns because I didn’t want to walk under the two trees I’m planning to be shooting to. By my cam intel it seemed with a southerly wind they were bedded nearby. Good luck out there folks!!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
User avatar
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club
Posts: 799
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am
Location: upper MI
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 am

I can’t really make out any acorns up in the trees with my binos :doh: I can’t see that much through the understory so we’ll see..
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
User avatar
Grizzlyadam
500 Club
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am
Location: CT
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:54 am

Took a long walk to get into an easy to get to spot. Access is everything here. Overlooked/ dating the fat chick spot. First sit here, scouted this a few years now and it always looks good. Didn't see much fresh sign on my way in but I'm going to throw a sit at it anyway.
User avatar
greenhorndave
500 Club
Posts: 9403
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
Location: SE WI
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 am

Good luck folks!
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:19 am

This wind sucks, what was I thinking getting up in a tree. Gonna be a long 3 hours
Moose
500 Club
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:39 pm
Location: IOWA
Status: Offline

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Moose » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 am

Had a perfect setup this afternoon. The buck was bedded in some cpr grass and not where i thought he should be. He was blowing at me for 5 mins and final got up. It was a very nice 8 pointer. Its suppose to be a south wind and the bedding is to the east of me. Milkweed says its swirling wind :roll: . anyway he diidnt know what i was and he started coming to me about 10yds. I came to a full draw and he spotted me. Im hunting on the ground by the way. I got way ro close to his bed since he was in the crp, im guessing 30yds when i thought he would be 75yds on a point. Now i guess its an observation site till closing hours. Good look everyone!


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests