Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:47 am

Hunting a horsetail thicket in a power line cut. Not a lot of sign on the acorns dropping but there never is when the hogs are using it too. Cut a trail with a nice track coming from this end of the bottom so I’m throwing a sit at it. Forgot thermacell so I’ve donated 2 pints already.

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:49 am

I snuck in real quiet and tried to setup 70 yards from the bed i almost killed a nice 9 point out of last year. As I was climbing my tree I got up about 14 feet and was looking eye to eye with a shooter buck. Bedded in a bed I never knew existed about 30 yards over on the next point..

My bow was laying on the ground on pull up rope. He stands up snorts and runs off.

Did learn one thing during early acorns theirs a big buck in this tiny spot every year.

First time I've ever climbed a tree and looked eye to eye with a buck in his bed.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:01 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I snuck in real quiet and tried to setup 70 yards from the bed i almost killed a nice 9 point out of last year. As I was climbing my tree I got up about 14 feet and was looking eye to eye with a shooter buck. Bedded in a bed I never knew existed about 30 yards over on the next point..

My bow was laying on the ground on pull up rope. He stands up snorts and runs off.

Did learn one thing during early acorns theirs a big buck in this tiny spot every year.

First time I've ever climbed a tree and looked eye to eye with a buck in his bed.

Man that isnt the way you wanted the hunt to go, but talk about stealthy!! Good job man, and at least you know there is a shooter there NOW too. Move around and kill him
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:04 am

Well here it is! No beast style but had to get out.
16018526263285707932026081124482.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I snuck in real quiet and tried to setup 70 yards from the bed i almost killed a nice 9 point out of last year. As I was climbing my tree I got up about 14 feet and was looking eye to eye with a shooter buck. Bedded in a bed I never knew existed about 30 yards over on the next point..

Very Kewl! You are doing it right.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:42 am

Saw nothing come out of the bedroom, bummer. Pretty surprised, usually something in there.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:56 pm

Bump and dump?!? Could be worth a shot.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:59 pm

Hey TN3, I know that’s not the outcome you wanted, but that’s a cool experience!

As for me, I was going to check out a new place that would be a rut hunt. But I decided against it. I don’t have the boots on ground intel, but I didn’t want to burn anything. I’ll wait for the rut and make my best play.

So I went to a place I didn’t real mind burning. This was more ag. Saw some decent buck turds, but nothing real fresh and there were no accompanying tracks, which was telling because it pretty much rained most of the week.

Found an ok trail leading to the corn, so set up on the ground (left my saddle and sticks in the garage to dry out and forgot them!). Had a doe read the script, but about 5-10 minutes after close of shooting hours. I was in the open where there was still a lot of light, but rules is rules. Kind of entertaining, but that’s all.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:08 pm

Just got a shower and sat down. Had a good hunt this evening. At about 5:10 I had two does and a fawn come by. I got a shot at the biggest doe and shot right underneath her. She took off and the other doe didn’t know what was going on. So she came walking by at about 12 yards. I didn’t shoot low this time. Perfect double lung shot and she ran out into the bean field and piled up. Doug fir shaft and an ACE standard broadhead did a fine job. Drug her out and went to get the truck. Of course I had a flat tire, had to have something happen to even things out. But it was still a good evening. She’s quartered and in the cooler, so all is well that ends well.

2DDB8189-365B-4066-BDF7-6D42FD2FAECD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Congrats blackwidow :clap: :clap:
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:17 pm

30 min before closing had something blowing behind me. I assumed it was downwind since it had been blowing that way all evening but when I dropped milkweed the thermals had kicked in and was pulling the opposite direction so I have no idea how it busted me. I won’t be back there until the rut
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:18 pm

blackwidow wrote:Just got a shower and sat down. Had a good hunt this evening. At about 5:10 I had two does and a fawn come by. I got a shot at the biggest doe and shot right underneath her. She took off and the other doe didn’t know what was going on. So she came walking by at about 12 yards. I didn’t shoot low this time. Perfect double lung shot and she ran out into the bean field and piled up. Doug fir shaft and an ACE standard broadhead did a fine job. Drug her out and went to get the truck. Of course I had a flat tire, had to have something happen to even things out. But it was still a good evening. She’s quartered and in the cooler, so all is well that ends well.

2DDB8189-365B-4066-BDF7-6D42FD2FAECD.jpeg

Nice job!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Congrats black widow!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:49 pm

I used highway traffic to hide my footsteps.
No way i would have gotten that close without cover. I was below the military crest on a steep hill. The buck was above me just at the top of the crest. The point kinda splits.

I couldn't see him or him me until I climbed high in the tree. I really expected him to be on the point to the west about 70 yards away.
I had no clue this other bed existed.

If you read my last year journal he came off the west point into the bottom then j hooked onto the southern point he was on today to eat acorns. There's a few points very close to one another. So I planned on him doing the exact same thing as last year. Its got several points in a hub in this area. With a huge scrape,licking branch at the bottom of the hub but they never get toothat scrape in daylight.

I did find a shed antler on my way out on the same point.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:11 pm

backstraps wrote:

Man that isnt the way you wanted the hunt to go, but talk about stealthy!! Good job man, and at least you know there is a shooter there NOW too. Move around and kill him

It's a really tiny piece of public about 40 acres in size. Can't move much.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”