Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
blackwidow

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:21 am

Good sit so far. 2 bucks and 3 does with a lot of daylight left.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am

4 sticks high in an OLD lone wolf right next to heavy bedding...se wisconsin and its a bit chilly tonight. 4 finger tracks and confirmed 8-9 yr old just showed up in past week . He’s lost a step on his rack this year but I will kill him if he comes by
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 am

Heard a farmer fire up a combine across the road as I was walking in, and just had a doe and a fawn come flying by mach 1. They were nice enough to show me the escape route, so we're just going to sit here and watch for a bit. Hammer of an old rub right on from of me. Was planning on going another half mile, but this might just work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
blackwidow

Unread postby blackwidow » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:00 pm

The buck didn’t show tonight. Saw 4 small bucks, 5 does, and 2 fawns. Nice evening to sit in a tree.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:26 am

Ran out for a couple of hours after work with my son. We were "hoping" to kill a doe, but bumped some right as we were setting up. :doh: We went ahead and sat up. About 30 minutes later I caught movement and then saw antlers. A good 8 point for my area walking our way. He stepped up to the fence and would've been at 15 yards once he jumped. I was ready to draw when he jumped the fence and then he turned his head to look back. The buck abruptly turns and walks away and meets a bigger 8 point about 30 yards out and fights him while a small buck runs around them. They spar for a few seconds, move over to spar in another spot for a few seconds and then move back into the timber. I thought that they would return but they never did. Awesome hunt for sure and I'm thankful Hudson was along for the ride. He wanted to call a guy that attends Church with us and tell him all about it. You can't beat that.

Also, it felt a bit like the twilight zone with all that action. We typically don't see a lot around our little 12 acre property until later October through the rut. But hey, I'll take it! :D

This was in Tennessee by the way. Don't know what you other TN guys are seeing right now.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:00 am

Gashed my leg open pretty good last night on some rusty barbed wire on the way out, so this morning instead of live from the field, we were live from the clinic getting our tetanus shot. Headed back out for the evening.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:26 am

Back after it this evening. Had a couple of bucks in daylight the last few days using this area. Set up to watch both sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 am

who else is out in this crap? im in a dead ash 20 feet up and a nasty flash storm blew thru with 30 mile an hour gusts and vertical rain. still going but im hoping it lets up. a big dead branch blew off my tree and crashed to the ground... I thought the forecast said light brief rain. lol
20200930_171651.jpg
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:01 am

dan wrote:who else is out in this crap? im in a dead ash 20 feet up and a nasty flash storm blew thru with 30 mile an hour gusts and vertical rain. still going but im hoping it lets up. a big dead branch blew off my tree and crashed to the ground... I thought the forecast said light brief rain. lol20200930_171651.jpg

You're crazy, Dan! I was out scouting one day in a pretty light 5-7mph wind. I was crossing a river when two ash trees blew over from that light wind. That was the last day I ever thought about hunting out of a dead ash. :naughty:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:22 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
dan wrote:who else is out in this crap? im in a dead ash 20 feet up and a nasty flash storm blew thru with 30 mile an hour gusts and vertical rain. still going but im hoping it lets up. a big dead branch blew off my tree and crashed to the ground... I thought the forecast said light brief rain. lol20200930_171651.jpg

You're crazy, Dan! I was out scouting one day in a pretty light 5-7mph wind. I was crossing a river when two ash trees blew over from that light wind. That was the last day I ever thought about hunting out of a dead ash. :naughty:

Yeah, dead ash or those poplars with hollowed out trunks. I once had a stand in a poplar then went to push my foot against the bottom of trunk and it went right in! No thanks.

Anyway, seems like the wind laid down again for magic hour.
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:23 am

I had a very similar storm come through on the way out to the field within a minute after getting out of the truck! I decided to push through it and glad that I did! I had a small fork come through about 45 minutes ago. Turning out to be a beautiful night.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:43 pm

That must be a bad situation you are in.... you are upside down on my screen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:36 pm

EFACF4D9-7E8A-46B1-820C-FA2DA21F96C0.jpeg

Had a foolproof plan tonight. Once I got out after work, things were not what I thought they were. Added some more pieces to the puzzle instead of wasting time sitting in a random tree hoping for a miracle.

Good luck to all the Michiganders tomorrow!
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Fantastic evening yesterday. I climbed a tree about 1/3 of the way down a hill, close to a cattle pasture where the fence has been knocked down. I've been seeing a few bucks come out there in the past few weeks, and figured I could cut the corner with the "just off" wind so that they wouldn't get me. I ended up seeing 8-10 bucks and a handful of does, but they all fed under the same white oak, roughly 75 yards away, on top of the ridge. They all ended up just wandering off back the way they came. I think one doe may have spotted me, but she never ran, just walked, plus it was really early when it happened.

I'm assuming that is the only white oak in the area with acorns, as I don't think I've ever seen that many deer feed under the same tree on that property, certainly not that many bucks. Friday is calling for light and variable winds, with a pretty good temp drop, so I'm hoping to sneak in closer to the tree, on the downhill side, so that my thermals pull away from it.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:09 am

Pretty sure it was the target buck that almost walked into me in the dark this morning. 4 minutes before shooting light.
Going to hang a set and try a bump and dump this evening.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”