Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
john1984

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm

isitseasonyet? wrote:Shot a doe, wasn’t real big. But I snuck up in her on the ground

Congrats :clap:

Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Had a lone deer tip toeing through the swamp to my south after hours. The way it was moving I'd assume it was a buck. Ended up bumping it when I started walking out, it went back the way it came. At least I got some info on the bedding.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Not in the field tonight, but eating backstraps and watching football with the wife is ok too.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:46 pm

isitseasonyet? wrote:Shot a doe, wasn’t real big. But I snuck up in her on the ground

Congrats! :dance:
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Got skunked tonight.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Saw only a doe tonight.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Congrats isitseasonyet!

I had a fawn bedded 20 yards away in a willow clump for 3/4 of my hunt. I had no clue it was there. Apparently it had enough of that human scent burning its nostrils because it randomly got up and bounded off :lol:

Figured it walked in on me but nope... bed was there. That’s all I saw. I learned a ton tonight. Found some good bedding and an AWESOME observation tree.

I should have set up when my gut was telling me to, but that was during the very beginning of my scout. I wanted intel so I put learning for tomorrow in front of killing today. I did bump an unidentified deer 100 yards from where I was going to set up. :oops:

It was worth it though. I got 3-4 more puzzle pieces after that. Confirmed a few things and learned some new things. The search gets narrower every season ;)
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Right on! :handgestures-thumbup:
How bad do you want it?
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:55 am

Still hunting and hanging cameras, it's crazy windy today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DhD on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:57 am

Spent opening morning hunting with my son. We had a doe group work by but they stayed at around 70 yards so no shot.

Me and the little guy.

It may be cheesy but we try and get some pictures every opening day.

OpeningDay2020.jpg

Saturday evening I went to hunt a good bed that only sets up good for south/southwest winds. My access was over a mile into the spot. I planned on him hopefully exiting his bed and side hilling the hill out to a point. At crunch time I had a deer that had dropped down below me blow when it get in my wind. It was a solo deer but too thick for me to get eyes on it even though it was about 60 yards away. I think the deer left the bed and dropped straight down the hill. Either way, no luck.

Sunday evening I took my daughter with me to a stupid spot. We dropped into a creek and setup on the creek bank about 50 yards from the road. As we were setting up, we here sirens and a metal "wop, wop, wop" sound. The next thing I see is a high speed chase fly by us. One junky Honda with what sounded like a wheel bearing assembly gone out and two cops in pursuit! :shock: Even out in the country on an old chipped road you can find big city living I guess. I sat Lily's stand up about 1.5 feet off the ground and I just stood beside the tree. We had a young six point work the creek bank at about 15 yards. It was pretty awesome to be that close and for her to be with me. We had the right spot and the wrong buck. This six point has been running with a decent eight that we were after but he didn't show. We saw a few does as we were sneaking out. A good opening weekend but nothing killed yet.

My father in law found this guy dead while he was cutting hay. I think he has 13 points altogether.

DeadHead.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:37 am

Settled in. Over in an old permanent stand this evening, I know, I know. Been hunting this stand for 20 years at least. I usually only hunt it a few times year during gun season, so it's actually a good spot that doesn't get burnt out. I spent the afternoon brush hogging the field here. I had to come back and check a cam and hang a stand. Figured I'd do a sit while I'm here.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:14 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Settled in. Over in an old permanent stand this evening, I know, I know. Been hunting this stand for 20 years at least. I usually only hunt it a few times year during gun season, so it's actually a good spot that doesn't get burnt out. I spent the afternoon brush hogging the field here. I had to come back and check a cam and hang a stand. Figured I'd do a sit while I'm here.

Why knock something that produces over years?

Hope you get one!
——-
Let’s go Brandon!
Autiger

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 am

The cold fronts got them on their feet. I just drove by a fresh kill on the highway 16 onto the 94 pass in Waukesha. It was a beautiful buck, stud of a deer. I don’t know where the car was, there were six cop cars and an ambulance and a firetruck so I don’t know if they went off into the ditch and I couldn’t see
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:40 am

No deer seen this evening, but I did have a close encounter with a bear on the way out. It got to the point that I took the safety off the bear spray.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:46 am

Set up on another pond, no reception for a picture. Deer already moving.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”