Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Wihunter95

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:43 am

LukeTM wrote:
Wihunter95 wrote:
LukeTM wrote:Good luck Grizzly!

Sitting on the ground tonight where three habitat types come together. This was my plan C spot.
I’ve officially decided not to make acorns a part of my game plan anymore unless I happen across a good cluster. We’ve had such a dry summer. I wonder if that’s why there aren’t many acorns around.

I haven't found a single acorn producing oak yet here in se wi

Yup, we’re in the same zone.
I did find a lush public bean field. Hunted it last night and had a lot of action!

Opening night I also saw a lot of deer feeding in a fallow field that was very green. Not what I would consider “CRP”.

I wonder if alfalfa is drawing deer right now with the lack of acorns?

Possible. I've hunted swamps every sit so far, haven't sat any fields I might tommorow morning. Kind of want to get some meat for the freezer

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 am

LukeTM wrote:
Wihunter95 wrote:

Sitting on the ground tonight where three habitat types come together. This was my plan C spot.
I’ve officially decided not to make acorns a part of my game plan anymore unless I happen across a good cluster. We’ve had such a dry summer. I wonder if that’s why there aren’t many acorns around.

I did find a lush public bean field. Hunted it last night and had a lot of action!

Opening night I also saw a lot of deer feeding in a fallow field that was very green. Not what I would consider “CRP”.

They’re hitting alfalfa hard in western MN. Have been for a weeks.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:29 am

First time on this spot. Island of trees with a pond in the middle of the corn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:39 am

Good luck to everyone out!
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 am

Lockdown wrote:
LukeTM wrote:
Wihunter95 wrote:

They’re hitting alfalfa hard in western MN. Have been for a weeks.

I wonder if this is why they are hitting the corn so hard in Nebraska. No acorns to speak of and the beans are turning brown. We have some alfalfa here, but not a lot. I'm finding cornfield edges that look like someone drove a Zamboni thru there.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 am

DhD wrote:First time on this spot. Island of trees with a pond in the middle of the corn.

That spot looks promising, good luck!
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Congrats again Jeremy!
How bad do you want it?
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm

8 min to go, and only 1 doe so far
How bad do you want it?
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:35 pm

My suspicion was correct, I had four bucks come out from the far corner that I expected they would, two shooters. Only problem was they were working towards me too slowly and it started getting dark fast. I decided to slip out of there before they were on top of me in the dark and they must have seen me because they all scattered. They didn't run off and didn't know what I was so if the wind stays the same tomorrow I will probably move in close to where they came in. I'm sure they are going to sniff me out tonight where I was but hopefully it doesn't freak them out too bad. Also had a coyote slip past me at ten feet. I didn't know wether to grab the camera or the bow but I had the camera in my hand so I ended up not shooting it and getting terrible video of it. I was sitting on the ground backed up into an edge of goldenrod.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:My suspicion was correct, I had four bucks come out from the far corner that I expected they would, two shooters. Only problem was they were working towards me too slowly and it started getting dark fast. I decided to slip out of there before they were on top of me in the dark and they must have seen me because they all scattered. They didn't run off and didn't know what I was so if the wind stays the same tomorrow I will probably move in close to where they came in. I'm sure they are going to sniff me out tonight where I was but hopefully it doesn't freak them out too bad. Also had a coyote slip past me at ten feet. I didn't know wether to grab the camera or the bow but I had the camera in my hand so I ended up not shooting it and getting terrible video of it. I was sitting on the ground backed up into an edge of goldenrod.

Sounds like an exciting evening!
What’s in the field that had these bucks hitting it in daylight?

I personally gave up on my sit and decided it would be more productive to still hunt/ scout other parts of the property. Glad I did. What held loads of beds a year ago held zero.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm

LukeTM wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:My suspicion was correct, I had four bucks come out from the far corner that I expected they would, two shooters. Only problem was they were working towards me too slowly and it started getting dark fast. I decided to slip out of there before they were on top of me in the dark and they must have seen me because they all scattered. They didn't run off and didn't know what I was so if the wind stays the same tomorrow I will probably move in close to where they came in. I'm sure they are going to sniff me out tonight where I was but hopefully it doesn't freak them out too bad. Also had a coyote slip past me at ten feet. I didn't know wether to grab the camera or the bow but I had the camera in my hand so I ended up not shooting it and getting terrible video of it. I was sitting on the ground backed up into an edge of goldenrod.

Sounds like an exciting evening!
What’s in the field that had these bucks hitting it in daylight?

I personally gave up on my sit and decided it would be more productive to still hunt/ scout other parts of the property. Glad I did. What held loads of beds a year ago held zero.

Alfalfa
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Nh opener today! No service where I was tonight so not live but I ended up working later than planned and ended doing a ground sit. Looking for freezer meat. Had big old granny doe sneak in on my access trail. Almost had her at about 12 yd but didn't have a shot I was happy with. She caught me trying to sneak over for a better shot. Got the old ticker pumping anyway. It's more intense on the ground.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:02 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
DhD wrote:First time on this spot. Island of trees with a pond in the middle of the corn.

That spot looks promising, good luck!

I thought so too, but didn't have any luck. Could be there isn't enough pressure to push them back in there yet. Hunting an old abandoned farm that's all grown back over is kind of creepy.
Kickapoo

Unread postby Kickapoo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:43 am

Been watching Dan’s videos the last few years and definitely gained many insights on where to find the big ones. Bought some beast stick minis, a lone wolf assault and decided to give this public land thing some effort(I also hunt private but something about a public land buck intrigued me). After moving trails cams several times, I was able to locate one worth hunting here in southeast Wisconsin. Checked the trail cam and went after him two days later. It was shocking to actually see him at 6:10 pm last night on the edge of some heavy cover. Got a 38 yard shot off, passed through both lungs and he didn’t make it far. Took some serious work getting him back to the truck but well worth it. 178”.
25”, 26” main beams. G1-8”, G-2-12”,G-3-10” on one side. 18 3/4” inside. Still in shock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:16 am

Wow, awesome buck! Congratulations! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”