Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Doe and fawn, that’s it tonight

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:17 pm

My evening was interrupted by a trespasser who had a ladder stand a hundred yards or so from where I was set up. I didn’t see it until he showed up. I called the landowner before getting down to confirm I was the only guy allowed to hunt the land. I walked over to his stand and educated him. He is the same fool I dealt with last gun season. Just a young 20 some year old. If the guy Im talking about is a member here you know who you are and I will chop down that ladder stand if its not gone by Monday morning.

Getting permission to hunt private land is not easy in my parts and this young fool crosses his family’s 40 acre hardwoods to hunt the 40 I am on where he has no permission. Boggles my mind.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Ended up seeing 7 does/fawns, a bobcat, and a couple groundhogs. I could hear chasing down the hill from us, but the deer never showed. We may hunt in the morning, but probably not.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:11 pm

I got skunked I saw my limit on squirrels though.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:27 pm

Tsom wrote:Bumped one with a healthy size track but ended up giving him a haircut.

A little follow up... A friend with a cell cam caught me tracking..
IMG_20201031_203025.jpg
IMG_20201031_203030.jpg

I can't be 100 percent it's the buck I shot at but I'm gonna go back in tomorrow to look around again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Tsom wrote:
Tsom wrote:Bumped one with a healthy size track but ended up giving him a haircut.

A little follow up... A friend with a cell cam caught me tracking..IMG_20201031_203025.jpgIMG_20201031_203030.jpg
I can't be 100 percent it's the buck I shot at but I'm gonna go back in tomorrow to look around again.

That’s a great buck.

Good luck!
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Can’t sleep so I’m getting ready to hit the woods!
Good luck everybody!
Can’t wait to get in a tree
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:22 am

Now that the freezer is secure (at least until late doe season) I can concentrate on bucks for the next two weeks until rifle season opens. Watching an entrance to a primary scrape area in a half observation half kill spot. Good luck to everyone out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:37 am

Drove an hour, got in extra early, and stopped at the edge of a 5 acre patch of timber in the marsh. I sat on the downwind side and waited for first light to decide which tree to be in (didn’t want to walk in circles in the dark and make a bad decision).
A guy comes up behind me so I whistle at him and flicker my light. He starts practically jogging to get around me and heads into the tiny wood lot and sets up. Totally ignored me to make sure he got to his tree before me....

Not sure what to do from here.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:09 am

Good luck to everyone out today. Be safe!
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:01 am

2nd day of my rut vacation in the Midwest, man I wish I lived here.

Sitting down wind a crp thicket today, had 2 deer come before daylight and 1 of them rubbed a tree. I didn’t hear him walk off so he might be bedded down unless he snuck off.

I’m in some rolling hills with high winds... not my usual terrain and these wind swirls are horrible. My hats off to you guys getting it done in the hills.

If not much happens today I’m going to another area with crops on top, woods in the bottoms. Have some good funnels but they are down low and I’m worried about wind swirling. I’ll take any tips I can get on hunting an area like that.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:11 am

Saw a nice one in the ditch on the way out before light, just had a spike cruise by, about 20 yards out of range and in the brush, I wonder if I need to move over there
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:15 am

Nada this morning, heading out scouting for a while and then going to sit a swamp island for some mid-day action. Will play it by ear after that.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:36 am

JakeB wrote:2nd day of my rut vacation in the Midwest, man I wish I lived here. .

I beg my wife to pick up and move everyday ha. Good luck man! My trip is still two weeks out.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:38 am

3 things:

1) Congrats to the killers!
2) Good luck to those who are out.
3) I think my target buck is still alive :shock:

Got a poor quality IR pic 28 hours after the shot, in the same funnel I shot him in. :think: Pretty sure it’s him. And pretty sure I can see blood/exit hole 3/4 of the way up on the exit side.

I don’t know if it’s possible to shoot under the spine, be far enough forward to miss the aortic artery (that runs under the spine) and him have his lungs deflated enough to only clip them a little bit?? And I might have only hit one, not both.

I was pretty confident the shot was high because I rushed it so bad. Multiple factors contributed. Regardless, it could be that it was just strait up backstraps. But how do you explain the bubbles in the blood then?

After 3 days of searching, some of which with a tracking dog, all I know is I feel good about my efforts to recover him. And now I feel even better that there is a very real possibility he lives. I had my friend Dylan and Dad help again yesterday. I also talked to the neighbor who also has him on cam. They were super nice. So between the two of us we should know for sure if he makes it. (Of course the neighbor was crushed that his drop tine buck was likely dead). He had been bowhunting him all year.

All I can say is if the guns don’t get him, I WILL. The neighbors hunt hard and my landowners family has 3-4 guys on 120ish acres. But the way I see it, he’s evaded hunters all these years... chances are good he’ll do it again.

There’s a 100 acres of standing corn between the two properties. The neighbor said that a few years back a friend that had a small plane flew over their property and counted 18 deer in the corn. :shock:

Hopefully the buck holes up there, because I watched him walk in easy range of a box stand. Twice.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”