Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Tsom
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Congrats eddie that's an awesome fl. Buck!

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Spent my day scouting.
I found only one scrape after covering about 400 acres. Definitely nothing good.
Did see a spike and 4 does while sneaking on wet leaves.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Tsom wrote:Congrats eddie that's an awesome fl. Buck!

This ^^ :D :clap:
——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:07 pm

Lockdown wrote:No luck on the track. The snow last night and warm temps today ended up being a really bad combo. The dog could follow the known blood trail where blood was present, but all the interdigital scent got washed away. We couldn’t even find our boot prints from last night.

It was bad. The track wasn’t advanced at all. We checked some likely spots and known bedding, with no sign of him. I don’t blame the dog, he seemed to know what he was doing despite being young.

I’m going back with my Dad to check a few more spots tomorrow and also talk to the neighbor. Pretty sure that’s where he is. I highly doubt he’s going to be receptive to grid searching with gun hunting being so close. But you never know.

Me, my Dad, and the tracker all agreed that there were bubbles in the blood. I’m thinking high hit one lung and liver. Pretty sure he’s going to die.

If I need to stop back and watch for birds I will. Hopefully we get lucky tomorrow.

Good luck Lockdown...
Hope you get lucky
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:07 pm

Lockdown wrote:No luck on the track. The snow last night and warm temps today ended up being a really bad combo. The dog could follow the known blood trail where blood was present, but all the interdigital scent got washed away. We couldn’t even find our boot prints from last night.

It was bad. The track wasn’t advanced at all. We checked some likely spots and known bedding, with no sign of him. I don’t blame the dog, he seemed to know what he was doing despite being young.

I’m going back with my Dad to check a few more spots tomorrow and also talk to the neighbor. Pretty sure that’s where he is. I highly doubt he’s going to be receptive to grid searching with gun hunting being so close. But you never know.

Me, my Dad, and the tracker all agreed that there were bubbles in the blood. I’m thinking high hit one lung and liver. Pretty sure he’s going to die.

If I need to stop back and watch for birds I will. Hopefully we get lucky tomorrow.

Good luck Lockdown...
Hope you get lucky
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:54 pm

24 degrees with 2” of snow and a full moon in southeastern Massachusetts. Paddling out and gonna get set up early for some Halloween action before trick or treating with the kiddos later. :occasion-happyhalloween:
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:04 pm

Good luck lockdown

Last night walking in on an old logging road I was walking pretty fast up a 400+ foot elevation climb and right next to the road a 115-120 8 point was on his feet cruising and he whipped his head up and blew at me :doh: I swung around the bedding area he just came out of. Later on I saw 4 doe and a 6 point come out of it. Near last light I heard a stick snap to my left which I couldn’t see much over there so I drew just in case. A 110ish 8 point stepped out. He was borderline like for me. He stayed behind some brush and eventually hit my ground scent. He bounded off back to where he came from. I probably would have shot if he gave me an opportunity. But I am kind of glad he didn’t though.

Heading in now to he opposite of that ridge this morning. Good luck to all that are out!
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:33 pm

We've got snow for muzzleloader opener and I'm heading tracking in a few minutes!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:53 pm

Just about to pull out if the driveway this morning. Going to a hill country property and hunting a pinch between 2 ridges. Pretty excited to hunt this spot should be some good cruisers. Good luck to everyone out today
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:59 pm

Great bucks Eddie!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:59 pm

Good luck to everyone heading out! Should be a great weekend!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:11 am

Just got setup in the tree. Was hoping the wind was going to be a little lighter to start the day but oh well is what it is. Probably wont shoot a doe here just cuz it's so far back and up and it's going to need to be a special kinda buck after the one I killed last week but you never know. Picked this tree preseason scouting and it is great to sit in and climb but I really only have a shot at one trail but we will see what happens. Good luck to everyone this morning
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:15 am

Our in NE Il. Sitting until early ok if I need to then trick or treating. Always wanted a Halloween buck. Have killed a couple on the 30th and the 1st but never Halloween!

Hasn’t been a ton of evidence of crushing really starting up yet around me but can happen any minute.

Great buck Eddie. Good luck Ld and everyone our hunting.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:22 am

Well done Eddie. I'm using a tactic today that I have heard about in gun season but not so much other times of the year. It's pheasant opener here, so I am sitting in escape lane, hoping the influx of new pressure moves some deer my way. Intrigued to see how this goes. In previous years I have just avoided high pressure situations like a Saturday pheasant opener. Feelin Beasty!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:45 am

DhD wrote:Well done Eddie. I'm using a tactic today that I have heard about in gun season but not so much other times of the year. It's pheasant opener here, so I am sitting in escape lane, hoping the influx of new pressure moves some deer my way. Intrigued to see how this goes. In previous years I have just avoided high pressure situations like a Saturday pheasant opener. Feelin Beasty!

This plan would work better if the standing corn I was thinking the deer would escape to was still standing. Still a decent escape route. May end up doing some still hunting now, it's quite windy today.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”