Live from the field 2020

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:03 am

LukeTM wrote:
Autiger wrote:Crap show getting setup this morning. Hope a good one is slow leaving the beans and gives me a chip shot on this strip of public.

Same here. I almost stepped on a skunk and then my finger co firmed my broadheads are sharp.

Speaking of broadheads, I was pretty well set to go yesterday. Last step was to put my new single-bevel broadheads in the quiver. Turns out the quiver hood is like an inch and a half short? :?

I put a mirror finish on these things. I’ve tripped and fallen on my quiver before. Not a good combo when half the broadhead is unprotected. :shock:

So I got to make a trip to Fleet Farm.

Always something! :lol:

——-
Please give Brandon encouragement on his activities
Autiger

Unread postby Autiger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:48 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Autiger wrote:No luck this morning. Only saw a doe and a fawns about 60 yards from my stand in the dark. I was set up within 30 yards of a vine mock scrape that I put up this summer. Went to go check it before I left and somebody had ripped it down. Guess I know that spot gets some pressure/foot traffic. There were trails all over the place leading right to that mock scrape in the crp

That stinks. Seems kinda stupid to rip that down unless it was an anti-hunter or something? Why would another hunter want to ruin a potential community scrape? :think:

Good question! Luckily I pulled the camera I had on it last month. Several 2yr olds and one WIDE 9. I have no problem with someone hunting over it, just makes no sense. I’ll string another up in the next few weeks. The spot is better setup for the rut. I’m back home in MKE. About to take a quick nap and then formulate a plan for this evenings hunt.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:42 am

greenhorndave wrote:
LukeTM wrote:
Autiger wrote:Crap show getting setup this morning. Hope a good one is slow leaving the beans and gives me a chip shot on this strip of public.

Same here. I almost stepped on a skunk and then my finger co firmed my broadheads are sharp.

Speaking of broadheads, I was pretty well set to go yesterday. Last step was to put my new single-bevel broadheads in the quiver. Turns out the quiver hood is like an inch and a half short? :?

I put a mirror finish on these things. I’ve tripped and fallen on my quiver before. Not a good combo when half the broadhead is unprotected. :shock:

So I got to make a trip to Fleet Farm.

Always something! :lol:

Haha yes there is always something!
I’m in the same boat. Cut myself again this afternoon. Grrrr :roll:
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:17 am

Hoping to sneak out tomorrow if the wife lets me.
LOL
See what happens
Good luck to everyone getting out.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am

Paddles in to some public, waiting out the last of the wind switch about 80 yards from destination spot. Bumped one on the way in looping around downwind of where I want to be. Hoping I can take advantage of se wind that may have sent them into an oxbow this morning but switch to Westa our now. We shall see.

Had very little scouting time of late and still very busy so for maybe in trouble tonight too. Not sure how picky I’ll be until my have a couple in the freezer this year.

Very very few acorns from what I’m seeing in se wi and ne il.

Good look all!
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 am

Wisconsin opener, here we go!
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
How bad do you want it?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 am

Good luck to everyone out. Had a doe come by at 3:30 right after setting up. New property for me, we'll see what happens.

20200912_153107.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 am

Finally it feels so good to beable to post in live from the field... All set up on a point good sign jumped a deer right by tree couldnt tell what it was but has been allot of deer out in this green field all week.. Just feels great... Good luck fellas!!!!!
Autiger

Unread postby Autiger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 am

Had to go to plan C or maybe it was D. Too many cars out here. Walked back to a point that hooks into a marsh. Storm must have come through since spring scouting. Trees down everywhere and it’s crazy thick. Only one doe came through right after getting settled. Not sure if I can stick it out til dark or not. I didn’t track my path and the wife isn’t feeling well. If I want to get out to a better spot tomorrow I need to get home and take care of her tonight. I’ll give it til 6:30 or so and see what movement is like. If they all take the does path then they will pass within 10 yards without a shot
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:54 am

Hunting a couple hundred yards off a parking lot. Two other hunters walking in jumped a fawn that came busting through the woods and ran up into the bedding area I’m setup on. When it gets in there I see another deer get up and come charging towards me right down my shooting lane. It was a big doe. Most likely the fawns momma. Now I’m not sure what to do. There’s 2 hours of light left and I’m thinking that if there was a buck bedded up there he would of came out too.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 am

I’m not liking my set up tonight. I’m on plan w. The wind switch later isn’t letting me hunt where I wanted to. I scouted my way in. Who knows. It’s nice to be back in the saddle. Literally.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:05 am

Good luck everyone out!! Man I love this time of year!!
mdshoreman21

Unread postby mdshoreman21 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:11 am

Moving into prime time here in MDs second afternoon of deer season. A little over an hour left, hunting a setup Dan would refer to as “dating the fat chick” haha. Gotta do what I gotta do to get in the cage with the beast. Good luck to all!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:14 am

Took advantage of the rain this morning and finished up some stand setup on private. Got soaked. Ut it was worth it.

Just got settled into the stand on a piece of public I've never hunted and only been to once. Bumped one on the way in. Nice little white oak knob and I can hear acorns falling all around me. Not too blood thirsty yet so itll have to be big to kill but it's nice being out anyway. Plus i need way more practice hanging my sticks and lone wolf. Good luck to all the beasts out tonight
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:37 am

My first post on the Beast!! Although I have been actively following the beast for quite some time I have waited until now for some reason to post.

It is great to be in a tree again! Sitting out on a hardwood point jutting into a swamp on public. Sunk to the knees on the way in. The walk back in the dark will be challenging. Almost crunch time! Get that Buck! Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”