Interesting buck bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
westwind

Interesting buck bed

Unread postby westwind » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:26 am

I came across a buck bed this spring that has been on my mind for awhile and I'm curious if anyone has seen anything similar.

The bed was in the middle of a tiny bunch of poplars. The thicket was about 10' in diameter. All around the thicket is old farmland that is now restored prairie. The bed didn't look like it had been used in awhile, but every single tree in the bunch had rubs on them. For these reasons, it has me thinking it could be a rut bed?

I know Dan says that in cattails or marshes, bucks will bed with little to no regard for the wind. Their security comes from their ability to hear or see anything coming. In this case, it's not cattails or marsh, but the prairie is *very* open. Seems as though the buck could bed in that tiny thicket and see 360 degrees for a good ways.

Is a bed like this huntable? Is it reasonable to think its a rut bed? Has anyone seen anything like this before? Pictures attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Interesting buck bed

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:45 am

My initial thought on that is he's set up there to monitor doe activity. Looks like a great place for does to cross that field from point to point as well as the hedge row going through.
Dewey

Re: Interesting buck bed

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:48 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:My initial thought on that is he's set up there to monitor doe activity. Looks like a great place for does to cross that field from point to point as well as the hedge row going through.

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”