Pinning down a bucks bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Skers2001

Pinning down a bucks bedding

Unread postby Skers2001 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:50 am

This is my first post, any information helps. I recently saw a giant buck come out onto this alfalfa field. he came out by the zoned area. I think he is somewhere in the zoned area which does not narrow it down much. It was 2 hours before dark with a storm coming in about 20 minutes after. I would presume he would be close because of how early he was in the field but I am not sure. The majority of the property is extremely thick cover. I have had trouble pinning down really good bedding areas for bucks. I just started learning these tactics over the last month. I have read the river bottom forums but any other info you have would be greatly appreciated. I must add that there are EXTREME numbers of does. Trails are everywhere so it can be hard to distinguish which trails are used by bucks.

Skers2001

Re: Pinning down a bucks bedding

Unread postby Skers2001 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:19 am

I had to reattach picture.
Skers2001

Unread postby Skers2001 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:19 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:38 am

I don’t know what state you hunt or when your season opens. But will offer you this, if you got a velvet season or if you are still seeing him in the field in daylight after velvet sheds that’s all u need. I didn’t look at your map cause quite frankly I don’t need to. Have put enough time in to form a pretty high odds guess of where a buck would enter a field. Farmers as well as terrain always seem to set up fields the exact same way.

If you don’t have a Velvet opener or he disappears after hard antlered then u have a completely different struggle on your hands which highly possible is a complete relocation.
Eat the donut not the hole!
Skers2001

Unread postby Skers2001 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 am

Thanks. I am in Nebraska so season opens the 1st of Sep. Usually about the middle of August, the mature bucks do not get to the field until after dark. I was just curious as to what people think because I would try to catch him coming to the field before dark.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am

Pay attention to the wind, and try to get an idea of where he is bedding with topos. If he stays consistent for the first week of season you have a swinging Crack at him. If he keeps showing in daylight then I'd set up on the field edge. Choose your stand wisely and try to figure out where he is bedding based on some maps and scouting if you did that.
Don't let anyone see you going into this place else you may just tip your hat to them. Be smart about this process and you may just be surprised on what happens.
I hunt a very similar setup early season and need a specific wind to hunt it. I don't step foot near it till I have it and when my stand goes up will be my first hunt. I find these kind of spots the most productive around the first two weeks of October. Seems like you need to catch him before he starts getting all amped on "T" and catches some human scent.
Be smart about your glossing as well the closer we get to the opener. He won't tolerate much the closer we get to season. Good luck!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Skers2001

Unread postby Skers2001 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am

It can be hard to pinpoint with topos because it is extremely flat ground. the wind is very tricky as is access. what do you recommend for access? Many times does are in the field many hours before dark. I have always had to hunt a south blowing wind which blows into the field towards the does but don't want to hunt a north blowing wind blowing back into bedding. I also have not done much scouting on that side of the property and do not want to go in there without an idea of where he is at so I do not blow him out of there.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Skers2001 wrote:Thanks. I am in Nebraska so season opens the 1st of Sep. Usually about the middle of August, the mature bucks do not get to the field until after dark. I was just curious as to what people think because I would try to catch him coming to the field before dark.

Guess I was confused by the buck stepped in the field extremely early a good 2 hours b4 dark that that made me think he was there in daylight :lol: must have completely misinterpreted the situation. Yes backing up a mile to thick cover right b4 dark is your best option lol. Just playing
Eat the donut not the hole!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 am

They do tend to eat heavy before a storm rolls in when the barometer is dropping. Maybe his bed is close, or he just got there early because of the storm.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:05 am

Concentrate on where you think he entered the field from and check wunderground.com for the wind direction for that day. It should narrow things down for you. If he was out that early then he is very close.

As far as finding him - I would go out 1-2 days after a rain and look for his tracks. Regardless of a heavy doe population his tracks should stand out from the rest of the heard. I would also glass if possible and consider the fact that youre likely not the only one that knows about him.

Consider when the crops will be cut and what his next food source will be. Your map confuses me but I assume you saw him in the green southern field? If he gets pressured early on then I like the timber North, separating the road and the river that waterway should help the deer get away from pressure. It looks like you already have some trees and cam locations.

If you open Sept 1 then id say you have a great chance.
Good luck
Skers2001

Unread postby Skers2001 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 am

I should also add that this is private land and I should have added the picture more to the south. There is a highway that you can see in the picture that gets pressured HEAVY with scouters which is why I added that they go very nocturnal about middle of August. Access is also very tough. What do you guys recommend? Thanks everyone for the replies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”