Lone wolf or with company

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tim
500 Club

Re: Lone wolf or with company

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:39 am

I’m a lone beast. I barely talk strategy anymore either cause it’s pointless when no one hunts the way you do. Most of my friends don’t hunt and the ones that do are barely weekend warriors. Il post on this site from time to time. My close family will hunt with me if I talk them into it cause I want them to kill a certain buck and then I’m doing all the work anyways .

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:46 am

I have one are two hunting partners but we never hunt together, we might enter the woods together but we split and go do our own thing.

So I guess you could say I'm a lone wolf type of hunter.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:50 am

I killed a buck my first hunt with a fellow beast member. I’m still 90% solo. Me and him will probably hunt again this year. I’ve had decent luck hunting with one other hunter. Have hunted with a few different guys over the years one my brother. The big group hunt I don’t think is for me
kher

Unread postby kher » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:52 am

I like hunting with people with the same mindset as me. Helps with having another pair of eyes in the woods as well as different game plans. I'm am also not opposed to being a lone wolf because it is really rewarding to do it all by yourself. Like others have said sometimes hunting with others it makes you think about the other person make sure everything is okay, the other thing is hunting with others can hinder your hunt or your way to the woods.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 am

I enjoy sharing camp with others but always hunt alone. I guess i dont get the point in hunting together? To film? That wouldnt be for me. I never really got the lone wolf thing though....dont wolves hunt in packs?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 am

brkissl82 wrote:I enjoy sharing camp with others but always hunt alone. I guess i dont get the point in hunting together? To film? That wouldnt be for me. I never really got the lone wolf thing though....dont wolves hunt in packs?

From Wikipedia so it has to be a real thing. :lol:

“A lone wolf is an animal or person that acts independently or generally lives or spends time alone instead of with a group. The term originates from wolf behavior. Normally a pack animal, wolves that have left or been excluded from their pack are described as lone wolves.“
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 am

brkissl82 wrote:I enjoy sharing camp with others but always hunt alone. I guess i dont get the point in hunting together? To film? That wouldnt be for me. I never really got the lone wolf thing though....dont wolves hunt in packs?

I guess more or less what a I mean is sharing spots
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:44 am

I like hunting alone. Im on my time and not theres.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:21 am

I’ve hunted properties with buddies before, but I’ve never done the deer camp thing. Never been invited by the old timers. A couple buddies and I are kicking around the idea of doing a camp this year. It’d be fun and I hope we’re able to pull it together.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:30 am

I would prefer to hunt w company but no one can hang
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 am

<DK> wrote:I would prefer to hunt w company but no one can hang

What do you mean hang?

I don’t know anyone that scouts as much as I do.. I can still tell someone where to go sit. Most reasonable healthy people can hang on any distance of hike into the woods
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 am

Burningbootleather wrote:

What do you mean hang?

I don’t know anyone that scouts as much as I do.. I can still tell someone where to go sit. Most reasonable healthy people can hang on any distance of hike into the woods

I mean they cant keep up and dont have the drive...
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

<DK> wrote:

What do you mean hang?

I understand what you mean and it’s somewhat why I posted this. I scout sun up to sun down at least once a week even this time of year. I’ve carried a friend with me twice and we made it half a day both times. We did 13 miles in that half day (gps tracked.. some 20000+ steps) so I will say dude can walk some distance and has ambition. I like that so I’m actually on the fence about letting him hunt some of the bigger deer I know about. I’ve always been a scouter more than a hunter-I don’t care much about killing deer.. I like finding them. Many people that know me have realized this without me making the claim.. I only have hunted maybe 30 times in the past 5 years (mostly because I’ve worked too much to take it seriously)

It’s difficult to take an extreme amount of knowledge and give it away, but like many have said.. it is more fun to share it with someone.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 am

<DK> wrote:

What do you mean hang?

I understand what you mean and it’s somewhat why I posted this. I scout sun up to sun down at least once a week even this time of year. I’ve carried a friend with me twice and we made it half a day both times. We did 13 miles in that half day (gps tracked.. some 20000+ steps) so I will say dude can walk some distance and has ambition. I like that so I’m actually on the fence about letting him hunt some of the bigger deer I know about. I’ve always been a scouter more than a hunter-I don’t care much about killing deer.. I like finding them. Many people that know me have realized this without me making the claim.. I only have hunted maybe 30 times in the past 5 years (mostly because I’ve worked too much to take it seriously)

It’s difficult to take an extreme amount of knowledge and give it away, but like many have said.. it is more fun to share it with someone.

If you took him out for 13 miles in this type of weather then it would be easy for someone to give up. Its good youre scouting so much bc even if you dont hunt half of the places you visit it still applies later. Things seem to get easier, quicker and more efficient.

I have someone im working with as well. I used to be greedy about the spots but if someone is willing to make the treks then I will gladly share info. One year I shot a buck early, there was another big one in the same core area but the person I told turned me down bc they helped me drag the first deer out lol. They knew how tough of a job it is but the drive still wasnt there for them.

This year im trying to work with others more and share knowledge. Its fun seeing someone else go through all of the trials and be successful.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 am

Where we going :D :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”