Green Slime

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Lastcast#1

Green Slime

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:00 am

Good luck to everyone this season. So green slime. Water levels are high in Michigan. I love water. Gimme more. Some of my areas that are normally 6 inches deep are now 3 feet.

A couple of the areas I hunt that have some sort of island type marsh bedding. Marsh, woods ,ag field type of deal. Anyway many of the woods sections have a significant amount of water and have developed a thick layer of green sludge..

Recently I have been able to track a couple bucks back to bedding, or general bedding areas by following the muck trails left overnight by various deer through the now flooded woods bordering the swamp.. So its a rare occurrence, but just thought I would throw it out there. Just always trying to be thinking while scouting man.

Have a great day everyone.

RatMe

Re: Green Slime

Unread postby RatMe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:13 am

Very cool twist on using tracks to find deer movement and bedding.

Do you find that the low water has created additional bedding areas or opportunity? Less isolated bedding and more spread out?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:36 am

Flooded timber is good. I hunted a section last year it was open woods could see 200 yds that was flooded. The deer and a couple of nice bucks were using it and moving thru it in daylight. The first time it froze I saw coyotes in there.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:39 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:Good luck to everyone this season. So green slime. Water levels are high in Michigan. I love water. Gimme more. Some of my areas that are normally 6 inches deep are now 3 feet.

A couple of the areas I hunt that have some sort of island type marsh bedding. Marsh, woods ,ag field type of deal. Anyway many of the woods sections have a significant amount of water and have developed a thick layer of green sludge..

Recently I have been able to track a couple bucks back to bedding, or general bedding areas by following the muck trails left overnight by various deer through the now flooded woods bordering the swamp.. So its a rare occurrence, but just thought I would throw it out there. Just always trying to be thinking while scouting man.

Have a great day everyone.

Cool idea. Good luck this fall.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:07 am

RatMe wrote:Very cool twist on using tracks to find deer movement and bedding.

Do you find that the low water has created additional bedding areas or opportunity? Less isolated bedding and more spread out?

Actually its high water now. In a couple spots I think it is creating additional bedding opportunities with water now being another advantage for deer. Of course right now most of the bucks close to home are right up near the food sources. Where they may go later on is more defined (I hope ) because of the high water. I hope pressure will put them there later on. The muck in the woods has led me to a couple of these new areas that bucks are using now. Areas that were not used as much when dry.

Regards
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:33 am

Lastcast, I have also noticed the same thing over the years when we’ve had high water levels. Not even so much in the “slime”, which I have seen before in the real stagnant water, but even in the duckweed and stuff like that. You can see that something disturbed it.

Just have to follow the trail a little bit to confirm that it was a deer by finding fresh tracks. Not that it was a coon, beaver, muskrat, goose, etc.

Way to stay observant and being able to decipher that
How bad do you want it?
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:05 am

I've fished and boated in that green slime alot in the south, you can most definitely see deer trails and such through it! Good observation and thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”